House Price Crash Forum
blondebier

Lewes, East Sussex

I thought I'd give an update since my last thread on Lewes has disappeared.

I was really chuffed with the land registry figures that were released on Tuesday.

Change in last year: -3.6%

Change in last quarter: -6.8% (Yes, those are both MINUS signs)

Here's a link courtesy of the BBC - Link

It seems to me that places are still horrendously overpriced and just aren't selling. Some properties have been on the market for over a year. Price reductions don't seem that common.

I did however see this one reduced this week. 2 Bed Terrace

It was on for £175k now down to £167500.

I've checked a few places on NetHousePrices.com and I've noticed that some places are selling well below asking price. I've seen a few cottages (e.g. Sun Street) Asking circa £235k having sold for £195k.

The agents don't seem to be getting the message, but I think the sellers sure are! Bring it on...

I thought I'd give an update since my last thread on Lewes has disappeared.

I was really chuffed with the land registry figures that were released on Tuesday.

Change in last year: -3.6%

Change in last quarter: -6.8% (Yes, those are both MINUS signs)

Here's a link courtesy of the BBC - Link

It seems to me that places are still horrendously overpriced and just aren't selling. Some properties have been on the market for over a year. Price reductions don't seem that common.

I did however see this one reduced this week. 2 Bed Terrace

It was on for £175k now down to £167500.

I've checked a few places on NetHousePrices.com and I've noticed that some places are selling well below asking price. I've seen a few cottages (e.g. Sun Street) Asking circa £235k having sold for £195k.

The agents don't seem to be getting the message, but I think the sellers sure are! Bring it on...

Yes, they're definitely falling.

Ive noticed places coming back on tha market again.

This place was 'Sold' a few weeks back, now back on in last few days.

This house in Pells put on a month ago for a price of 'between' £350k-£375k [i think I'll pay the higher figure please :blink: ] We rented a [much nicer/modernised] house a few doors up, which sold last December for £330k.

Funnily enough, their 'kite-flying' blatant greed hasnt paid off. We know the neighbours, and depspite a 'review' of the price to £365k, I understand there hasnt been any viewings :-)

More reductions this week: :D

Malling Street - Just next to just tyres. Was advertised originally £225k now Guide Price £190k

Orchard Road - I believe this is on the flood plain. Was a snip under £220k now Guide Price £199,950

It's happening slowly... ;)

You guys have a very big Waitrose... perhaps this is keeping prices artificially high...

1) People are loaded.

2) It's a BTL hot spot.

3) London is only an hour's commute. ;)

I live & rent in Lewes, earn a relative good salary, ..but alas have no wealthy peers or no nest egg from a previous house I have sold, which seems to be the underlying factor here. Its a great place to live, & yes most residents are loaded (bah hum bug bastards..)

I live & rent in Lewes, earn a relative good salary, ..but alas have no wealthy peers or no nest egg from a previous house I have sold, which seems to be the underlying factor here. Its a great place to live, & yes most residents are loaded (bah hum bug bastards..)

And you get to burn the Pope on Nov 5th too.

And you get to burn the Pope on Nov 5th too.

What happened with the houses that were flooded a few years ago? Has that affected their value?

Billy Shears

What happened with the houses that were flooded a few years ago? Has that affected their value?

Billy Shears

Hi Billy,

I don't think it has to be honest. People have very short memories...

There's not much for sale under £200k that you'd want to live in.

There has been some flood defence work to protect Tesco / Malling area, but I think the Cliffe area that got it badly last time would still be severely flooded if it happened again.

Cheers,

Blondebier

Not Lewes specifically, but I'm originally from Newhaven just down the road.

Anyway, tonight I thought I'd have a chuckle at the prices in my home town when I came across this beauty:

Link

215K for a two-bed flat in Newhaven :lol::lol::lol: You can buy a three bed freehold detached house down there for that!!

It wouldn't fetch much more up here in the London suburbs. :lol:

These new build flats are going to get absolutely mullered when people finally wake up...

Whilst I'm on the general area, a mate of mine bought a place out the back of Seaford for 240K last summer. Looking at Rightmove tonight, I reckon he could get the same place today with 10% off :(

Here's another price reduction this week. Link

It probably been on for about 3 months. (Lewes Estates are the kings at overpricing properties.)

Was £225k, £215k now £210k. It's on the FLOOD plain!!! :blink:

I lived in Lewes for 10 years - never seemed that posh back then - most people seemed to live on council estates at Landport, Malling, etc., some twee areas like Southover, around Cliffe High Street and the High Street - and then some nice houses up around King Henry's Road. Another thing I noticed was that, for the SE, salaries were poor - living in Lewes was great as long as you were working in London. I remember the Tesco being opened - is there a Waitrose there now as well?

Fare thee well Lewesians - still have fond memories of walking on the Downs :-)

G

Edited by gruffydd

Here's another reduction.

This little cottage was advertised for most of 2005 at £193k. It didn't sell. They took it off for a while. They put it on this year for £195k and now it's down to £190k. Small, but a reduction none the less.

Keep watching. ;)

Here's another reduction.

This little cottage was advertised for most of 2005 at £193k. It didn't sell. They took it off for a while. They put it on this year for £195k and now it's down to £190k. Small, but a reduction none the less.

Keep watching. ;)

I know this place, its right on the VERY busy road linking Lewes to Haywards Health. Middel of nowhere, terrible location. I wouldn't buy it if it was £10K.

Greedy b**tards wanting that money..

I know this place, its right on the VERY busy road linking Lewes to Haywards Health. Middel of nowhere, terrible location. I wouldn't buy it if it was £10K.

Greedy b**tards wanting that money..

That's it. Just north on the A275. They've tried renting it out as well. :rolleyes:

There's no parking either!

Hey ho, I'm sure some sucker will buy it.

That's it. Just north on the A275. They've tried renting it out as well. :rolleyes:

There's no parking either!

Hey ho, I'm sure some sucker will buy it.

Oh yes, some sucker will. I lived on that road for 1 year, (well a about 100yds off the road past ccoksbridge)

& the sunday bikers drove me crazy.

Aparently the market is bouyant.

In the way bricks are! - each week Ive noticed quite a few 'new prices' in Sussex Express ad for Wycherleys, they appear to be the most realistic of Lewes EA's pricing-wise

I just received this Rightmove email alert.

Link

It's hardly new. It's been on for over 3 months at £225k. Now £210k

You got to give it to them, Lewes Estates do try... :lol:

It's been reduced again! It's now £200k. :rolleyes:

That's because it's "Quintessential":

A quintessential period cottage-style terraced property located in the highly sought after area of Southover

Quintessential has to be the most overused word in the Lewes property market

Quinessential = a compact version of small