House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph: Kelly Exposed As Champion Nimby.

HOLA441

'Kelly exposed as champion Nimby':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../11/nimby11.xml

Ruth Kelly's crusade against middle-class "Nimbies" was in disarray last night after it emerged that she had opposed the building of hundreds of homes in her constituency.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary was accused of double standards after pledging this week to "root out" the Not-in-my-backyard -- or Nimby -- tendency to oppose new housing developments.

[...snip...]

But her comments were greeted with incredulity in Bolton, where locals revealed that she had become notorious for objecting to new housing developments in her well-heeled constituency of Bolton West.

On one occasion, she even urged local residents to "savour this sweet victory over the developers" after blocking plans for 1,100 new homes in her constituency.

[...snip...]

Local people also voiced dismay. Roy Walmsley, a member of one local residents' association, said: "I am disappointed at the terms in which Miss Kelly has addressed herself.

"She has been supportive in the past, particularly over the protection of trees. To call us Nimbies now is most insulting."

[..snip...]

However, a spokesman for Miss Kelly dismissed the criticism, arguing that it was perfectly reasonable for the minister to criticise Nimbies while objecting to developments in her own constituency.

'Kelly wants to 'root out' Nimbys -- now, though, it turns out she is one':

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article363621.ece

Ruth Kelly faced fresh embarrassment as she was branded a hypocrite for denouncing Nimbyism while opposing a series of housing developments in her constituency.

Local planners said Ms Kelly, the new Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, was a regular campaigner against new housing in her Bolton West constituency, despite saying she wanted to "root out" the not-in-my-backyard attitude of householders.

She had campaigned against at least nine housing developments in Bolton. Last week she backed a campaign to block plans by a housing association for eight two and three-bedroom houses in the Deane area of Bolton.

[...snip...]

Other plans attacked by Ms Kelly included proposals for 65 houses on a former hospital site, and plans for 30, one- and two-bedroom flats in Heaton.

She also sided with residents opposing a plan to build 600 homes in Westhoughton, in 2000, telling her local paper: "Clearly the developers have seen the strength of opposition against their plans."

Ms Kelly praised the failure of a 1999 scheme for a separate 1,100-home estate nearby, saying it was "a victory for people power". She said: "We must savour this sweet victory over developers." Ms Kelly also spoke out against plans to sell off land at a railway station in 1998.

Edited by Jeff Ross

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It is not a suprise that this government is unravelling all the time.

They were trying to find out about the deputy prime minister's role last night on newsnight. That one might run and run

;-)

Apparently John Prescott has responsibility for sorting out the UK's energy and pension problems. Oh feck!

:huh:

HOLA445

Apparently John Prescott has responsibility for sorting out the UK's energy and pension problems. Oh feck!

:huh:

:o

Right, that's it! I'm booking the next plane out of here :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

:o

Right, that's it! I'm booking the next plane out of here :lol:

Yes, it's tempting. The UK has some serious challenges, which I personally think it can take on, but not with this bunch in charge. Then you have Dave Cameron who simply isn't providing a proper alternative. He minces about green issues and social responsibilty. Well, Dave, it starts by cutting taxes and getting the government to butt out of people's issues and let them use initiative to create wealth.

I wanted Ken Clarke, he understood what it was about, instead I got that pe*is!

:angry:

:lol:

All IMO of course.

HOLA449

He minces about green issues and social responsibilty

:angry:

:lol:

All IMO of course.

It'll be the energy crisis which really screws the world up imo and the sooner someone in government gets a grip that neither do we make anything but we can't even look after ourselves food and fuel wise the better.

HOLA4410

Ruth Kelly is a complete idiot

When she was secretary of state for education (before she acknowledged that she could do the job and resigned) she responded to Jamie Oliver's criticism of school meals by saying she had made £10m available to refit school kitchens

That is like saying we are going to stop road accidents by giving all bad drivers new cars

This idiot is in the cabinet

What hope has this country got with fools like that in Governemnt

CS

Edited by Cornwall Sceptic

HOLA4411

What really gets me about this ship of fools is their 'we know best' attitude. They have screwed up pensions, schools, industry, housing, transport, the police service and hospitals (and a thousand other things). They have lost control of our borders despite the fact that we are an island.

They are ruling us so incompetantly that they are becoming frightened of the populace. Hence we see the country being blanketed with cameras, attempts to introduce trial without jury and identity cards with our life history. Soon we will have black boxes in our cars to track our movements. No doubt members of the government (or inner party) and senior civil servants will be able to switch their black boxes off "for security reasons".

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm starting to think that the current government aren't like anything we have had before.

I think most of them are driven not by greed, but by a deep-seated need for approval from others.

Ruth Kelly supports local nimbies - because she wants them to like her.

Ruth Kelly supports affordable housing and attacks nimbies - because she wants some other people to like her.

Tony Blair goes to war in Iraq - because he wants George Bush to be his pal and people to admire him on the world stage.

Gordon Brown stokes the HPI machine - because he wants to be loved.

John Prescott, well ok, there are exceptions. He just wanted to get his leg over.

At least when politicians are motivated by greed their motives are clear and can be watched. With this needy bunch of emotional incontinents there's no way to know what they'll do next for a "love buzz".