House Price Crash Forum
trompe le monde

You Can Tell When Things Are Getting Tough When....

....people pay for goods in supermarkets with bags of loose change. Twice in one week at different supermarkets, (one was Waitrose!), I've had the customer in front of me pay for a £5-10 basket of goods with handfuls of silver and coppers.

Are people looking under the sofa for every last penny? Anyone else seen this, or similar lately?

TLM

I actually seen someone get a PAPER, PINT OF MILK, SOME BEANS, ORANGES, CHEWIES and SOMEOTHER GROCERIES. Came to £2.70 odd. They paid with a Credit Card!!!! I thought you could not use a credit card in most supermarkets unless it was £10 or more?

Anyway, it was a Kwik Save and I suppose they dont care how you pay. I was shocked and stunned!!! :o

TB

I pay for everything with credit card, even if it's just a pint of milk. It costs the supermarket more than if I used cash, but at least I get my 0.5% cashback!

On the coins, sometimes people just need to get rid of the change they've accumulated.

seen 2 people having theirs cards refused in 2 different shops.

they said - oh thats because i bought something or other and used a poor excuse and quickly fiddled for another card or cash

I actually seen someone get a PAPER, PINT OF MILK, SOME BEANS, ORANGES, CHEWIES and SOMEOTHER GROCERIES. Came to £2.70 odd. They paid with a Credit Card!!!! I thought you could not use a credit card in most supermarkets unless it was £10 or more?

Anyway, it was a Kwik Save and I suppose they dont care how you pay. I was shocked and stunned!!! :o

TB

I frequently buy small amounts of stuff with cards. Typically because I've run out of cash and haven't been *rs*d to go get some more. Most large chains and supermarkets don't have a credit card minimum. Smaller, independent, shops and some chains (e.g. Holland and Barrett) have a minimum of £5.00 or so.

Billy Shears

Guest muttley

TB

They may just be plain thick, TB.

I had someone ask if they could pay for a lollipop (15p) with a card, only last week.

It would be cheaper to give them the lollipop.

....people pay for goods in supermarkets with bags of loose change. Twice in one week at different supermarkets, (one was Waitrose!), I've had the customer in front of me pay for a £5-10 basket of goods with handfuls of silver and coppers.

Are people looking under the sofa for every last penny? Anyone else seen this, or similar lately?

TLM

seen 2 people having theirs cards refused in 2 different shops.

they said - oh thats because i bought something or other and used a poor excuse and quickly fiddled for another card or cash

It seems a sign of the times.

For the HPC thing to happen one has to look at the extreems. And the extreems mentioned here represent the Credit isuue in real life.

Sad as it maybe it's the way the FIAT money system has to work. Some get caught out late in a boom.

By the way look at free energy on google video.

It's very interesting and do you own searches, there are some wonderful possibilities to a hassle free life.

some of the bigger supermakets have machines where you just pour the change in and you get vouchers to spend.

maybe people are cashing in their big jars of change now

(it certainly doesnt take a week or two to fill up a jar)

Guest Guy_Montag

some of the bigger supermakets have machines where you just pour the change in and you get vouchers to spend.

maybe people are cashing in their big jars of change now

(it certainly doesnt take a week or two to fill up a jar)

They take 7% though. If you take it to the bank & pay it in, it costs you nothing.

I've recently seen a lot more people apologetically (to the ones behind them in the queue as much as to the till person) scouring their bags/purses/wallets for discount vouchers recently ... the sort of people who would always have paid with credit cards before. It's a bit like that episode of "Everybody Hates Chris" (C5, Sunday evenings) a couple of weeks ago where the mother has food stamps but doesn't want to be seen using them!