House Price Crash Forum

Just Passed A Personal Decision Point…..

HOLA441

For the last 5 years I’ve lived and worked over in the southern US. However, at some point the plan is to relocate the family back to the UK (There are a mix of reasons, not least are some homesickness, and wanting to give my kids an education that prepares them for something more than saying ‘Do you want fries with that?’).

Every now and then we reach a decision point - usually at visa renewal time - and have to decide whether to look to return to the UK, or stay on for a few more years.

Over the last few months I’ve followed this site, and others, fairly closely to get a feel for where people think the market is going. Despite a good offer of a job back in UK (@ north of 80K) and some strong family reasons to look at coming home this year, we have decided to stay here for another 2 years (next decision point). This was based on:

• The exchange rate is terrible for us at the moment - we’d lose too much money getting equity back to the UK. And in a couple of years I believe it will be more favorable.

• I’m betting house prices will correct themselves, and buying in at - or very near to - the peak will be a financial disaster.

FWIW, I find some posters here are overly bearish, grabbing at straws to hope a crash will happen overnight, which it won’t. However - there are just as many, if not more, well researched posts as well. The bullish viewpoints also make an interesting read… For myself, I firmly believe there is a solid enough case for a correction to occur, and gather some pace over the next couple of years.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions I’ve been able to read here, taken with data from other sites they have helped make an informed decision on my plans for the next couple of years. When conditions are right to return home, I’ll probably start asking for the low down on areas to live commutable from work….

HOLA442

Despite a good offer of a job back in UK (@ north of 80K)..... When conditions are right to return home, I’ll probably start asking for the low down on areas to live commutable from work….

Of course when the conditions are right in terms of exchange rate/house prices they may not be right in terms of the earlier point regarding job offers like that....

Good luck to you all the same, sounds like you've thought things through on a number of aspects.