House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Prescott's 'affordable' Home, Revealed!

The affordable house... Or is it?

The competition was about designing a high-specification, two-bedroom home, measuring a generous 823sq ft, using factory-made components, all for a build budget of £60,000. The retail price will be higher when items such as land costs have been factored in

I remember a while back pricing-up a self-build and discovering that it wasn't the cost of erecting a decent house, but the price of the land that I would need to put it on that was, in fact, the stumbling block. I couldn't find one plot for less than my entire budget. Once again, Prescott misses the point :rolleyes:

WOW! Rocket Science!!!

This is hardly innovative. They have been building these things for years in Oz, New Zealand and Scandinavia for instance. The real problem is that the Brits don't like timber frame anyway. The resale values will be rubbish, and they could import the same for 1/2 the price. I

looked into this, but as Bingley Bloke says, the real cost is in the land and that won't be fixed until the Ruth Kelly's of this world put their own houses where their mouth is. The scourge of (other :o ) nimbys. Bless her.

I remember a while back pricing-up a self-build and discovering that it wasn't the cost of erecting a decent house, but the price of the land that I would need to put it on that was, in fact, the stumbling block. I couldn't find one plot for less than my entire budget. Once again, Prescott misses the point :rolleyes:

Right on the money, HPI is simply a reflection of residential land prices.

Which makes it even more amusing seeing those folks who imagine

a lick of magnolia and a few packs of laminate flooring will add £20k to the value

of their property. :D

ABB

This is nothing short of a f*cking disgrace and piss take. A builder could price you up a real, block and render, tiled roof property for £50-60 per sq. ft. So for £60k you could actually get up to 1200 sq ft.

<_< :angry:

This is nothing short of a f*cking disgrace and piss take. A builder could price you up a real, block and render, tiled roof property for £50-60 per sq. ft. So for £60k you could actually get up to 1200 sq ft.

<_< :angry:

This is an incredibly valid point and thanks for the sums STF. So much of what is promoted by the government is overpriced rubbish, based on the fact that people can't count (and then there are the schools!) and feeding into horrific profits for industry at the expense of those who can least afford it in the private housing market. They operate with all the ethics of a commercial organisation selling credit to people who can't afford it and their industry mates get the profit.

Right on the money, HPI is simply a reflection of residential land prices.

I suppose if we don't like it here, we could all go and bugger off to oz to live.

Hang on a minute, they've got a property bubble there too, and there's no shortage of land out there.

It must be something else then :unsure:

Hi,

Know one thing. This is no economic accident, it is not an unexpected event that the brave government is trying to tackle. It is a central policy of the NuLabour and Gordon Brown. It has been amply covered by economic pundits and academics and NuLabor themselves. This is the 'new paradigm', the 'stability locked-in' approach to macro-economic policy that Gordon Brown always goes on about, controlling demand consumption by making houses an attractive investment compared to saving (like pensions etc.,) and is a tool of demand management. If you don't like it, you shouldn't have voted Labour. Anything other kind of interpretation you make is false and a waste of your time. This is a deliberate political approach to economics, please do read some of the articles I have posted before, including quotes from Gordy himself. Will it work? Who knows? It is unchartered territory, an experiment. The last time any nation saw such debts and overvaluation of real estate was Japan (economic slump for a decade) or 1929 Wall Street America (the Great Depression). It really is though unknown territory going forward so that is not to imply a similar result. The long and short of it : LABOUR ARE HAPPY TO SEE HOUSE PRICES DISAPEAR INTO THE HORIZON USING TAX PAYERS MONEY AND ENCOURAGING DEBT AND UNSUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION FOR AS LONG AS THEY CAN HOLD POWER. Like any good party, you may have a hangover when you wake up the next day. I have followed NuLabour economic policy closely and seen nothing to show me what their next step is. It is totally about private debt fuelling spending, house prices and public spending. There is no plan 'B' I can find.

Edited by boom_and_bust

I suppose if we don't like it here, we could all go and bugger off to oz to live.

Hang on a minute, they've got a property bubble there too, and there's no shortage of land out there.

It must be something else then :unsure:

I've a feeling theres less land in oz than you think - most of it is desert, or a 12 hour drive to the nearest shop

Hrm, I don't quite buy this, the cost of building materials hasn't inflated anything like the cost of land. The issue isn't about bricks or cardboard it's simply about granting planning permission! The muppets miss the point.

Hrm, I don't quite buy this, the cost of building materials hasn't inflated anything like the cost of land. The issue isn't about bricks or cardboard it's simply about granting planning permission! The muppets miss the point.

Dear oh dear, off you go again in your mistaken belief that people need space to live.

Where did you get that idea?

Now, of course research using rats has shown that crowd them together and stress and antagonism is the result but how can that possibly be thought of relevance to crowding people together?

Our Leaders are all wise and knowing and must have our interests at heart.

:)

This is an outrage.

Someone badly needs to expose whatever the cost of the land is for this £60,000 hovel.

I bet it's more than 75% the cost of the materials.

Land is now >40% of the final cost with 'normal' housing, by definition if you can build the structure very cheaply the proportional land costs will be sky high.

Its a sad state of affairs when even these sheds will cost well over 3x the average salary. They're essentially trying to create a new lower tier to prevent the housing market from becoming more affordable.

Edited by simon99

I dare say they have deliberately missed the point. However it may backfire.

Imagine, punters go along to buy their new "budget home", the miracle £60k property (although somewhere in the back of their minds they may remember that there were millions of homes below this price, including the land, only 5 years ago). Ok, so they expect to pay a little over £60k because the newspaper said it would be a bit more for land and other costs.

HOW F*CKING MUCH? £150k???

So I'm paying £90k for this car parking space sized piece of land? And that's without a parking space?

What? you say there is a shortage of land? What about that big f*cking field over there? The farmer only wants £5k for it!

Result: the land scam is exposed. :lol:

Imagine 10s of thousands of these in a small area, fast forward 15 years, it will look like a 3rd world shanty town, except the suckers would have paid 100K for them!

HOW F*CKING MUCH? £150k???

So I'm paying £90k for this car parking space sized piece of land? And that's without a parking space?

What? you say there is a shortage of land? What about that big f*cking field over there? The farmer only wants £5k for it!

Result: the land scam is exposed. :lol:

People are too stupid, hence the reason it has got to this stage. Most people mistakenly believe playing fields and village greens are "greenbelt" protected, far from it, they're actually the first in the line of fire, as are suburban back gardens.

Hi,

Favelas! Just like Rio, Sao Paulo and Buenas Aires, except British favelas are legal, with planning permision (downside ; £150K price tag). Now, if I can just squeeze the deposit onto my credit cards..... I'd be a fool not to!

no17.jpg

post-2548-1147384579.jpg