House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jamus

Where To Begin?

Hi there

Been lurking on the forums for a while, but have a few questions now and would like to get a bit more involved in the discussion.

I'm early 20's, and even though I barely could afford a mortgage, am now not interested at all anytime soon partly due to this site. So whilst I get on with my life, renting/travelling and other things instead of tying myself down, I would like to have some form of investment doing something in return for me.

Problem is, I have little money to my name. I am considering getting a small loan; say around £10,000, which I am considering investing in a German property fund. Whilst it may seem risky to borrow to invest, in my eyes this is quite a small gamble, which I can afford, and is not much different than borrowing money to buy a house, which in the current climate is also a huge gamble. German property seems very undervalued, if their economy gets going again, surely they will see the price rises the rest of the world has.

Also, with interest rate rises looking very possible, I probably won't be able to borrow money so cheap at a fixed rate for a good while.

The problem is, I don't have a clue how to go about this, here’s where you help out: ;)

1. Is there normally a minimum amount you can invest into these funds?

2. A few of the German ones I’ve seen are listed on the AIM, what’s the difference between the AIM and the FTSE? If the FTSE crashes does the AIM crash to?

3. Where do I go to invest in a fund?

4. What kind of charges is I expected to pay? Setting up, management, selling etc??

5. How much Tax will I pay?

6. What obvious risks are there?

7. Any thoughts on the different funds?

Dawnay Day Treveria

Deutsche Land

Speymill's Deutsche Immobilien

Puma Brandenburg

Cordea Savills

Thanks for any advice, criticism, opinions in general.

Hi there

Been lurking on the forums for a while, but have a few questions now and would like to get a bit more involved in the discussion.

I'm early 20's, and even though I barely could afford a mortgage, am now not interested at all anytime soon partly due to this site. So whilst I get on with my life, renting/travelling and other things instead of tying myself down, I would like to have some form of investment doing something in return for me.

Problem is, I have little money to my name. I am considering getting a small loan; say around £10,000, which I am considering investing in a German property fund. Whilst it may seem risky to borrow to invest, in my eyes this is quite a small gamble, which I can afford, and is not much different than borrowing money to buy a house, which in the current climate is also a huge gamble. German property seems very undervalued, if their economy gets going again, surely they will see the price rises the rest of the world has.

Also, with interest rate rises looking very possible, I probably won't be able to borrow money so cheap at a fixed rate for a good while.

The problem is, I don't have a clue how to go about this, here’s where you help out: ;)

2. A few of the German ones I’ve seen are listed on the AIM, what’s the difference between the AIM and the FTSE? If the FTSE crashes does the AIM crash to?

4. What kind of charges is I expected to pay? Setting up, management, selling etc??

Dawnay Day Treveria

Deutsche Land

Puma Brandenburg

Cordea Savills

Hi there

Dawnay Day Treveria

Deutsche Land

Puma Brandenburg

Cordea Savills

Hi there

Dawnay Day Treveria

Deutsche Land

Puma Brandenburg

Cordea Savills

I don't want to sound overly patronising but if you cannot answer those questions yourself you should not be borrowing £10K (when you have little money now). :unsure::o:huh::blink::(

If you do it will be great if you make money but what if you dont, what if the AIM listing stops trading and gets wound up? what if you lose 30%? You will be paying off the loan for 3-5 years?

If you do i wish you the best of luck but dont forget you have other options.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I know its a big gamble, but in the same way buying a house right now is a gamble.

I know i'm probably being naive, but I think I could afford it, even if I end up loseing a lot of money.

I take on board what you say, maybe I am best just to save save save, wait for a property crash and get in right at the bottom and ride the next boom.

@the chuz, could you point me in the right direction to answering some of those questions please? I know a fair bit about property, but my general economy/stock market knowledge is poor.

What kind of other options would you suggest?