House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Samuel Whiskers

Rate Rise On Radio 4

INTEREST RATES: "we are only talking about a quarter point or two - but up, not down" Evan Davis, 6 o'clock news, radio 4. 10/5/06

Two quarter points is a half - "only" a half (that's just for starters, presumably).

Guest Guy_Montag

See this is what I was expecting, not the rate rise, that's been predicted here for months, even years. No, I was expecting it to be widely trailed before any rate rise. Central bankers apparently don't like to surprise the proles with sudden movements, so they trail their plans in advanc.

I did want to write in though, when the economics corresspondant said that most market watchers thought that the next movement would be down.

INTEREST RATES: "we are only talking about a quarter point or two - but up, not down" Evan Davis, 6 o'clock news, radio 4. 10/5/06

Two quarter points is a half - "only" a half (that's just for starters, presumably).

However www.reuters.co.uk cites the BOE in contradicting the above this see link below

article here

yet the bbc are pushing out this drivel. How come they always speak to the analysts that say a rate rise is unlikely or down instead of the analysts that say the opposite

UK inflation set to stay on track

Bank governor Mervyn King said inflation shoud stay close to target

UK inflation will meet its 2% target over the next two years assuming there is a slight rise in interest rates, the Bank of England has said.

In its quarterly inflation report, the Bank said inflation would move above 2% in the short term as a result of higher gas and energy bills.

However, it is expected to be back on target within two years.

Despite the Bank's comments, analysts said a rise in rates before the end of the year appeared unlikely.

The latest report follows the Bank's recent vote to keep interest rates at 4.5%, for the ninth month in a row.

Speculation had been rising that the Bank may seek to raise rates in the summer to head off inflationary pressures.

Radio 4 6 o'clock News

22:20 in.

Evan seems to think that China has left the party.

I have been listening to Radio 4 for a while now. The difference in content between the BBC website, BBC TV news and the radio 4 programmes is amazing. Its hard to believe they are the same organisation sometimes.

Mr Joe.

Guest Bart of Darkness
No, I was expecting it to be widely trailed before any rate rise.

Indeed. One of the reasons I wasn't expecting a change this month is the fact that there was no advance speculation on a rise in the meejah, prepping the sheeple.

mickey clarke on r5 gave some economist a good stuffing about the rate of inflation this morning - i even got my txt read out :P

the end, can you elaborate what was said?

MC pointed out that inflation seemed much higher than 2% - the economist said, 'yes, but that's cos people only notice the things that go up and not down' etc. and that they all balance each other out e.g. fuel has gone up but that's ok cos dvds etc. have fallen - MC was rather sceptical about all this

my txt pointed out that i would have to buy at least 4 dvds a week to come anywhere near evening out the increase in my weekly petrol bill - i could have phrased a bit better but i think it elaborated on what MC was saying which is probably why it was read (and it was only 5.45 a.m.)

I have been listening to Radio 4 for a while now. The difference in content between the BBC website, BBC TV news and the radio 4 programmes is amazing. Its hard to believe they are the same organisation sometimes.

Radio 4 - and the Today programme in particular (probably because the censors haven't woken up yet) - often carries stories which mysteriously disappear completely by the time the evening news is on the tv.

Hi,

Edit ;

"we are only talking about a 0.25% or 2.0% - but up, not down"

.... if the Uk falls in line with the rest of the world and admits the inflation figure is incorrect and the surging M4 money supply over the past year is coming to bite us hard on the ass in 2007/2008 if they don't act now (like other nations have, faced with the same problem).

Guest Guy_Montag

Mr Joe.

Not really, they may be all part of the same organisation but they cover news for different people. The website provides bitesize news & background. R4 is very politics driven, but is also aimed at the educated middle class. R5 on the other hand is more "tabloid" in it coverage, with a greater emphisis on sport & celebrity. I don't normally listen to R1. 2 or 3 or watch BBC1 news. Newsnight is pretty good though. I think just about the only thing these have in common is the Head of BBC News, who probably has far bigger fish to fry than monitoring all BBC broadcasts.