House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleBubbleTrouble

The How Much Richer (are You Really!) Calculator

We've officially launched our campaign today now that our website is complete with all the vital material.

As part of our mission to educate home owners we've launched a new calculator feature, one we think you might quite like.

Check out the How Much Richer (are you really!) calculator.

Be sure to check out all our new articles and resources too.

Latest news from the Priced Out campaign

Priced Out Campaign Moves Up a Gear with Official Launch

10th May 2006

The Priced Out campaign officially launched today 10th May 2006 with a major update to the material on the campaign website. To celebrate the launch we have commissioned another interactive feature, the "How Much Richer Are You" calculator, to partner our extremely successful "Would You Be Priced Out" feature. Now that our campaign site is ready we intend to step our campaigning up a gear, please come and help us by joining the campaign.

Edited by DoubleBubbleTrouble

Guest Winners and Losers

Very clever DBT. ;)

I wasnt any richer at all. :(

And there I was thinking I was a gazzillionaire. :rolleyes:

Very clever DBT. ;)

I wasnt any richer at all. :(

And there I was thinking I was a gazzillionaire. :rolleyes:

Common home owner mistake it turns out. For some reason people fixate on the "profit" in their current home and forget about the bigger rise in the cost of their next home. It's a very odd tradition of ours.

Guest Winners and Losers

Common home owner mistake it turns out. For some reason people fixate on the "profit" in their current home and forget about the bigger rise in the cost of their next home. It's a very odd tradition of ours.

That is why I sold in London and bought a house 5 times bigger in Australia for less money than I sold my London place for. Otherwise, I would have had to increase my mortgage significantly to buy again in London or, oh, yeah, buy the flat that I was selling :blink:

I have only added 20k to my mortgage in 10 years. Time to start paying it off me thinks. To have a mortgage of over 100k would scare the cr*p out of me. I don't know how people can borrow huge sums without being in a state of perpetual nervousness. :unsure:

Guest Winners and Losers

What crap. No chance to put multiple properties in!

Well you are in the minority. :rolleyes:

Good stuff DBT. That's why I'm a a homeowner, yet want a crash. There seems to be this myth that once you're on the ladder, it's a bed of roses - GARBAGE!!!! For us to move from a decent sized 3 bed, to a decent 4 bed will cost us about £150K. To put this into perpective, assuming a 4x income mortgage, we could only move if household income had gone up by £38K!!

Good stuff DBT. That's why I'm a a homeowner, yet want a crash. There seems to be this myth that once you're on the ladder, it's a bed of roses - GARBAGE!!!! For us to move from a decent sized 3 bed, to a decent 4 bed will cost us about £150K. To put this into perpective, assuming a 4x income mortgage, we could only move if household income had gone up by £38K!!

I'm really glad to hear you say that, it's a message we're about to launch a big push on.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to point out the Priced Out campaign is for everyone who thinks house prices are too high both home owners and FTB's alike.

What crap. No chance to put multiple properties in!

Don't make us commission a Speculators calculator, you wouldn't like what we came up with :lol:

I'm afraid I torture myself - I've got a stack of estate agent and property developer brochures from 1991-1999, dating from previous moves. It's a salutory reminder for whenever I'm tempted to move. Circa 1999, in the SE, you could buy a 2 bed terrace for 60K, a 3 bed semi for 100K, a 3 bed detached for 120K, and 4 bed detached for 150K.

Ok, I've got a house, which I know makes me a lucky git compared to many of you here, but I feel some of your pain...£150K for a luxury 4 bed! WAAAAAHHHHH!!!

I'm afraid I torture myself - I've got a stack of estate agent and property developer brochures from 1991-1999, dating from previous moves. It's a salutory reminder for whenever I'm tempted to move. Circa 1999, in the SE, you could buy a 2 bed terrace for 60K, a 3 bed semi for 100K, a 3 bed detached for 120K, and 4 bed detached for 150K.

Ok, I've got a house, which I know makes me a lucky git compared to many of you here, but I feel some of your pain...£150K for a luxury 4 bed! WAAAAAHHHHH!!!

We're all affected by HPI to greater and lesser degrees. It's incredible isn't it when you look back at the "old" prices of merely 5 or 6 years ago.

What a load of rubbish. Just because nearly all my money is in my properties equities, it shouldn't be seen as something negative.

Cash can be spent too easily and often is by those that can't control their spending. Me also. That's why I will pay as much as my residential mortgage off with lump sums, because in the long run I won't have huge outgoings like I do at the moment.

There won't be a crash so deal with it like other home owners. Make sacrifices and put some hard work in instead of spending all day every day waiting for something that just isn't gonna happen :P

What a load of rubbish. Just because nearly all my money is in my properties equities, it shouldn't be seen as something negative.

Cash can be spent too easily and often is by those that can't control their spending. Me also. That's why I will pay as much as my residential mortgage off with lump sums, because in the long run I won't have huge outgoings like I do at the moment.

There won't be a crash so deal with it like other home owners. Make sacrifices and put some hard work in instead of spending all day every day waiting for something that just isn't gonna happen :P

so why teh fck are you on a website that purports the heading "housepricecrash.co.uk"?

So what you are saying is that your mythical wealth (i.e. your properties equity which you can't spend) is actually more valuable than your real wealth (i.e. money you can actually spend) because it can't be spent!

Congratulations you should get Donald Rumsfeld's clear English award!

BTW I hope your job doesn't involve fiscal policy, you aren't Gordon Brown are you?

How exactly are you planning on accessing that equity?

Very clever and amusing but the figures are way, way out.

I used figures based on 10 of my friends and family and the last two columns were off by miles.

The problem is that it is based on 'average' prices for the area in question.

Even today, using the 'average' houses price per area you will discover huge differences.

Amusing and may scare some people but not that acurate at ground level. Unless of course you really are Mr & Mrs average.

So what you are saying is that your mythical wealth (i.e. your properties equity which you can't spend) is actually more valuable than your real wealth (i.e. money you can actually spend) because it can't be spent!

Congratulations you should get Donald Rumsfeld's clear English award!

BTW I hope your job doesn't involve fiscal policy, you aren't Gordon Brown are you?

I am quite happy thanks. I eat out, probably too much. Have a winter and summer holiday every year and eat well.

Oh and I have a normal car,kit car and a beach buggy. Hardly a boring life just because I have some equity tied up in a couple of properties.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. You bears seem to think that you dot all your i's and never make mistakes. But the truth is us bulls have better things to do than correct your grammar. Like making money and enjoying it at the same time :D

As for me not being Gordon Brown, you bears are probably further from financial guru's than anyone else on this planet.

Buy somewhere and stop bing so miserable :P

Very clever and amusing but the figures are way, way out.

I used figures based on 10 of my friends and family and the last two columns were off by miles.

The problem is that it is based on 'average' prices for the area in question.

Even today, using the 'average' houses price per area you will discover huge differences.

Amusing and may scare some people but not that acurate at ground level. Unless of course you really are Mr & Mrs average.

Unfortunately we have to use "average" figures short of creating a database of every single property that has sold in the UK!

We do attempt to make the averages more realistic by taking into account the deviation of your current home from the relevant average for it and then factoring that deviation in the sample homes.

It's not supposed to scare home owners, it supposed to make them question the rational behind I'm making a "profit" in my home myth.

Problem is lots of people can't afford to buy somewhere, pay attention!

I am quite happy thanks.

So you are quite happy with your mythical wealth, good for you. I have some pixie dust you can have but I want that magic seed you got for the cow down the market in return.

I eat out, probably too much. Have a winter and summer holiday every year and eat well.

Oh and I have a normal car,kit car and a beach buggy. Hardly a boring life just because I have some equity tied up in a couple of properties.

How on earth does having equity "tied up in a couple of properties" have any relation to those other things. It's money you haven't made yet. Tell me you haven't been borrowing against your equity now.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. You bears seem to think that you dot all your i's and never make mistakes. But the truth is us bulls have better things to do than correct your grammar. Like making money and enjoying it at the same time :D

Now I think you are a bit confused you are correcting our grammar? I thought you were disagreeing on the content of our posts?

Ah cheers yeah, why didn't we think of that. Oh wait we did but it turned out some complete idiots had broken the market so badly no one can afford to buy anymore unless they have rich parents or a gazillion pounds of imaginary equity tied up in their genius never lose investment machines called homes.

Come on own up you are WhingingMoaningGoodForNothings on the priced out board aren't you.