House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delboypass

Australia Unveils Huge Tax Cuts

Australia cuts taxes

Does Gordon Brown know what a budget surplus is.

he would spunk it on useless public sector jobs and inefficiency

Plus Australia is a much better place to live.

No social underclass breeding, huge immigration, and crappy expensive tax system and poor government leadership.

Australia cuts taxes

No social underclass breeding, huge immigration, and crappy expensive tax system and poor government leadership.

Hallelujah! There is intelligent life out there after all.

If Gordon ever had money to spend, it would be on making the tax system even more complex and the money would be spent on even more bureaucrats to administer it!

Mind you the fact he hasn't got any money to spare hasn't stopped him spending loads more on administration :(

Australia cuts taxes

No social underclass? Hmm, not so sure about that in Sydney. Immigration? There has been huge immigration to Australia from the Middle East, Far east and Latin America. Remember the race riots on the beaches with the Lebanese recently?

Just come back from Syndney myself, sure there are some immigration problems but mainly with what they term "The Lebs".

The rest, well they integrate into the community very quickly and love Australia!!!.

The tax cuts are long overdue, their taxation is very high now since the introduction of GST, and Vendor tax on property sales, stamp duty on purchases is also very high. Yet, the property market remains overpriced to Joe Bloe in the street. A lesson to be learnt in the UK I think!!!.

Tax on property makes property more expensive, not cheaper and if Gordon does introduce a property tax then the only person buying soon will be Mr Chelski.

Australia has a surpluss because they have destroyed employment rights for workers, and tax them to bugg3ry.

The idea that a class system does not exist is laughable, Sydney has the most stuck groups of people you could find in the world, however the workers are a smashing bunch of people and very friendly.

My problem with Australia is the wages, they are dire, third world class, and it is not suprising to find the UK and in particular London full of Aussies who come to earn a real living.

Despite these tax cuts, income tax is still higher in Australia and salaries are much lower for skilled workers.

Their latest budget is really only beneficial to Boomers and Breeders.

Snap!

Just come back from Syndney myself, sure there are some immigration problems but mainly with what they term "The Lebs".

The rest, well they integrate into the community very quickly and love Australia!!!.

The tax cuts are long overdue, their taxation is very high now since the introduction of GST, and Vendor tax on property sales, stamp duty on purchases is also very high. Yet, the property market remains overpriced to Joe Bloe in the street. A lesson to be learnt in the UK I think!!!.

Tax on property makes property more expensive, not cheaper and if Gordon does introduce a property tax then the only person buying soon will be Mr Chelski.

Australia has a surpluss because they have destroyed employment rights for workers, and tax them to bugg3ry.

The idea that a class system does not exist is laughable, Sydney has the most stuck groups of people you could find in the world, however the workers are a smashing bunch of people and very friendly.

My problem with Australia is the wages, they are dire, third world class, and it is not suprising to find the UK and in particular London full of Aussies who come to earn a real living.

That's a pretty d@mned accurate summation there laurejohn.

Oz is not Shangrilah...as a matter of fact this place p!sses me off in a lot of ways that really matter to me. Is there room for one more ocker over there?

I love the place, but for now I will earn UK money, and visit often spending pounds not dollars.

For me Sydney is a great holiday destination.

However Europe has loads more places to visit and with flights so cheap it cost nothing to hop on a plane to paris for a dirty weekend, or even Prague for a really dirty weekend.

Guest Winners and Losers

Happy happy WAL :D

Btw, vendor tax in NSW was given the boot last summer.

I'm not sure about wages though. I wasnt even working in Sydney and was earning the same in Oz as the equivalent I was earning in pounds in London. Now I am earning the equivalent again in Leeds. Having spent 10 years living in London and 3 in oz recently (with the same size mortgage in both), I would not say I necessarily have more money at the end of the month in either place. It balances itself out. A class system of sorts does exist, but it is not as based on old money and aristocracy. Its all the nouveau riche (TTRTR - upper north shore aspirations?). You want third world wages, try southern italy. I don't think you can necessarily compare Sydney to London. There are some industries that have a bigger presence in London and will pay more. The aussies don't come to earn a better wage per se, but to save up the money and then times it by 2.5 when they go home. Quids in.

As for immigration, many people say that it was the greeks and italians that came in the 50's that helped to build australia and these communities are very well integrated. The 'lebs' has always been a bit of an issue, maybe it is attitudinal? As for the other immigrants, give me the lovely Japanese and Chinese any day of the week, they integrate fantastically well, absolutely love Australia, are very well educated (generally), and have good jobs. I noticed in my time back more and more mixed race couples (asians/caucasians) and no-one even bats a eyelid.

I'm off to book my flight then. ;):rolleyes:

Bear in mind that the total tax take is still higher here than in the UK.

Population of 20m compared to 60m - less people to feed the machine. I don't think it is a fair comparison. Australia needs to have higher taxes. That's it.

I love the place, but for now I will earn UK money, and visit often spending pounds not dollars.

For me Sydney is a great holiday destination.

However Europe has loads more places to visit and with flights so cheap it cost nothing to hop on a plane to paris for a dirty weekend, or even Prague for a really dirty weekend.

Is Prague dirtier than Paris? :rolleyes::unsure:

Population of 20m compared to 60m - less people to feed the machine. I don't think it is a fair comparison. Australia needs to have higher taxes. That's it.

That is the intuitive answer. But I wonder if the "machine" is grotequely oversized for that 20m people... I mean, 3 levels of government (with accompanying outrageous gravy train at each level) for that number of people FFS?

Plus we have this repulsive middle class welfare over here (AKA electoral bribery) Tax could quite easily by reduced by a third if any government had the cajones to reform the system. Unfortunately, in a country full of self absorbed, lobotomized and propagandized nongs, this would be political suicide :angry:

No, but the filth is cheaper. :lol:

My brother was recently in Prague - he was propositioned on the same street corned by a daughter, her mother and her mother...

Now thats Filth!!

He ran for a couple of blocks to lose them!!

Bear in mind that the total tax take is still higher here than in the UK.

I'm not sure you are right. In the UK we pay taxes for services and then we pay a second time to use them. We don't have a free health service, we don't have free dentists. Tax subsidised transport is more expensive than a private transport. Fines are levied for every thing you can think of. Maybe I am wrong but if factor this in and then add up all the vexatious business taxes I would not be surprised to find that we are much worse off.

Despite these tax cuts, income tax is still higher in Australia and salaries are much lower for skilled workers.

Their latest budget is really only beneficial to Boomers and Breeders.

And Bankers.

Dammit, my famed assertion of there being a 20% wage differential on transferring Sydney - London is being made a lie.

Lovely place, Australia, but living there's like lotus eating. You wake up and you're 50 having drunk a lot of VB and eaten a lot of barra. Why work hard and struggle when there's a mango tree in your garden? And being in Woollahra, it'll be a council protected mango tree.

And another thing... no underclass? Get yourself out to the Panthers Club and then let's talk.

[edited to add social snobbery]

Edited by aussieboy

Guest Winners and Losers

Why work hard and struggle when there's a mango tree in your garden? And being in Woollahra, it'll be a council protected mango tree.

And another thing... no underclass? Get yourself out to the Panthers Club and then let's talk.

[edited to add social snobbery]

:lol:

The Panthers Club. PMSL.

Upper North Shore aussieboy then? TTRTR will be jealous. :rolleyes:

My mum has the hugest mango tree in her garden. Produces at least 50 mangoes every season. They never know what to do with them all. Mango salsa with your barra anyone? ;)

:lol:

The Panthers Club. PMSL.

Upper North Shore aussieboy then? TTRTR will be jealous. :rolleyes:

My mum has the hugest mango tree in her garden. Produces at least 50 mangoes every season. They never know what to do with them all. Mango salsa with your barra anyone? ;)

Indeed... a friend of mine is a orthopod who was stuck out West for 12 months on rotation. The injuries he saw on a Friday...

The Sydney idyll always tempting...nice house in 2021 or thereabouts (handy for the Grammar (or worse) and CBD) plus house in Whale Beach or Palmy (60 minute drive... and as you know it's like being in another world - instant holiday). And as you've also mentioend, a nice boat in Pittwater (there are some good "Boat Clubs" these days). Living the Dream ;)

On a HPC note, Paddo seems to be holding up, unlike some parts of Palmy... which is good news for some!

Guest Winners and Losers

Indeed... a friend of mine is a orthopod who was stuck out West for 12 months on rotation. The injuries he saw on a Friday...

The Sydney idyll always tempting...nice house in 2021 or thereabouts (handy for the Grammar (or worse) and CBD) plus house in Whale Beach or Palmy (60 minute drive... and as you know it's like being in another world - instant holiday). And as you've also mentioend, a nice boat in Pittwater (there are some good "Boat Clubs" these days). Living the Dream ;)

On a HPC note, Paddo seems to be holding up, unlike some parts of Palmy... which is good news for some!

Did my time as an 'Av Cat', hanging out at Clareville Beach. All my friends are from Av, Newport, Palmy - Whale Beach v. nice. They all lived in houses with inclinators down to their own private jetty. We were only 16/17 and off we'd go in Mummy and Daddy's boat to camp out at the Basin. How's about the Newport Arms? I lived in Glebe and Chippendale for a while which was quite cool, Valhala by night, Glebe Markets by day. Maybe you should come to the posh barbie and skinny dipping party that me and TTRTR are going to have? :rolleyes:

Cutting tax rates might just make rental properties worth less....

Australia has "negative gearing" on rental property, which means that landlords can deduct any losses (rent - costs < $0) from their income.

Also, capital gains are taxed at 50% of the top tax rate. This means that getting up and going to work costs you twice as much tax than if you sat on your ass and speculated to make the same money. Add those together, and you get government subsidised speculation on rental property. If you think things are bad in the UK, in Australia:

-Costs (interest on morgage + maintenance + council rates) for a rental property are often DOUBLE rental returns. At the moment, over 50% of landlords (including those who own outright) make a rental loss, and the entire rental industry makes a net loss.

-Australia has double the percentage of landlords as than most other countries.

-Multiples of income to prices are higher than the UK, even with higher interest rates

If the tax rates are lowered, the benefit of reducing income with rental losses is reduced. Since on average owning a rental property costs money in this country (many people believe continued capital gains will make this loss a calculated one) less tax means less benefit from the negative gearing tax rort, so the benefits (and thus prices) from rental property ownership will go down.