House Price Crash Forum

B B C: Farmer's Gallows Sales Attacked.

HOLA441

'Farmer's gallows sales attacked':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/4754515.stm

A farmer who builds gallows and has sold them to African countries with poor human rights' records has been condemned by Amnesty International.

David Lucas, of Mildenhall, Suffolk, said he had been selling execution equipment to countries including Zimbabwe for about 10 years.

[...snip..]

The execution equipment he says he sells ranges from single gallows, at about £12,000 each, to "Multi-hanging Execution Systems" mounted on lorry trailers, costing about £100,000.

[...snip...]

An Amnesty International spokesman said the new European Commission Trade Regulation, which comes into force on 31 July 2006, will make it unlawful to export gallows.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Trade and Industry said the government was pleased the export of gallows was being made unlawful.

So why didn't the government make it illegal before?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Bart of Darkness
The execution equipment he says he sells ranges from single gallows, at about £12,000 each

That's a bit steep isn't it? Still, I've a feeling the owners of various BTL "empires" might be needing one soon once things go pear shaped on them, so I'm prepared to chip in a grand towards a really nice one to help end their suffering.

What a nice chap I am.

(Gallows humour ;) )

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest horace

Presumably the timber used in the gallows conctruction came from sustainable forests. We certainly do not want to endanger the planet.

h. ;)

Edited by horace

HOLA4411

They must have found an alternative cure for AIDS then.

I must be 'on one' this morning but do Amnesty International or anybody think that this will actually result in less deaths by execution now.

I just see this as an attack on an easy target instead of making concerted onslaught on the causes behind all the atrocities there are in Africa.

Not that I am offering solutions, please understand, but this action is futile.

HOLA4412

Just re-name it to a "sign display stand" hey presto no problem exporting!

Hanging was regarded as a fairly humane way of dispatching a prisoner. The trick being to get the drop sufficient to break the neck instantly but not decapitate.