House Price Crash Forum
Rain'ard

The Worst Two Men In History

As an amateur historian, I have discovered there are two men, that worse that Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin. They are: The bloke who invented Work and The bloke who invented High House prices.

Can anybody tell me what good, or to what advantage is having high house prices does?

One thing it costs you more, and we all like paying over the odds

Another thing is that you have to work longer and harder to repay.

There is a very strong possibility that you’ll not even get a look in.

If you want to move you have to find even more money(Unless you downgrade.)

Your own kids won’t be able to afford one, so you’ll be stuck with them.

You will cultivate ulcers (Like Dom cultivates carrots) worrying about foreclosure.

If there is an economic storm you wont be able to sell it

What difference would it make if every one became their own valuer and dropped fifty per cent off the full price.

No difference? The plimsoll mark has only been shifted

There would be some though, who would be out done buy this proposition

Those mugs who have just bought recently

As an amateur historian, I have discovered there are two men, that worse that Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin. They are: The bloke who invented Work and The bloke who invented High House prices.

The bloke who invented work? Surely you mean the bloke who invented employment. We've always needed to work (find food, hunt gather, etc), the problem is when you have to do it for somebody else (especially as it's hugely in favour of the employer). We didn't always work 9-5, i'm sure life was far more enjoyable before the industrial revolution.

We've always needed to work (find food, hunt gather, etc)

But that's hardly what most people consider work, and it only took a few hours a week. People go hunting for fun, whereas I've yet to meet someone who chooses to spend forty hours a week processing paperwork in an office for fun.

But that's hardly what most people consider work, and it only took a few hours a week. People go hunting for fun, whereas I've yet to meet someone who chooses to spend forty hours a week processing paperwork in an office for fun.

But this is my point exactly. There's always been work to do forever, fun or not. Work is work, just because it might directly benefit you and not envolve money (as it didn't used to do) - doesn't mean it's not work. Employment rules changed everything - for the benefit of the employer. Not the employee. Take people who worked in the mills - before that, they were self-employed in the mill cottages. They work when they want to, had their families working together. Then the mill owners lured families into the mills with promises of benefits, and exploited them. Made the children work incredibly long hours in dangerous conditions. No pay if you were late or sick. You only have to look at the large houses of the mill owners who used to live round here where i live, and compare them to the tiny houses most families lived in that worked for their employers. If the employees had of worked for themselves - it wouldn't have been just one person benefitting. We are locked into this idea that our way of working (for someone else) has always been around and is better.

Look at a large company today - like a bank. Employees get a modest salary, maybe health benefits and share options - oh and a subsidised cafe. Then look at the fatcats above - they move your job abroad, and they're sat on a stack of cash. Work is not the problem, unless you enjoy sitting on your behind doing nothing all day, being employed is the issue. It has far less benefits. Of course working 40 hours in an office is not fun

I think it's down to NIMBY's.

Decades ago in some areas, centuries ago in others, people staked out 'their' plot, then the one's with the most influence in the area sat down & wrote some rules to avoid others turning up & spoiling the party by staking their own plots next door. I might add that the less well off IMO help this situation by encouraging the rules. They think that as they've missed out to date, that some rules will mean they won't miss out in future, but the rules backfire & mean they never get their chance as the rules won't let them have the same opportunity that the first arrivals had.

After all the only asset here is land. The rest is consumable & deteriorates over time. The town I'm in here in Sweden is a perfect example. There are about 30 waterfront plots with grand houses on them. These were laid out 100 years ago. 50 years ago rules were set up that prevented anymore waterfront properties being built (for the protection of the waterfront for all the people :lol: ). What you have now is sky high prices for the waterfront places which are set in a scenic natural environment as the forest around them is now parkland. Then you've got everyone else forced back into the town where they're 'allowed' to build.

Think about this the next time you call for new rules. Rules are what is holding prices up & development down. Encouraging development IMO would mean new housing on the outskirts, followed by deterioration of older areas as people get the chance to live in newer areas, followed by renewal in the older areas when their values drop enough to make it economical to redevelop them.

This IMO is why America is more affordable than Europe, because development is encouraged & people benefit from it.

Are you seriolsy suggesting the bloke who invented work and high houseprices is worse than Adolf Hitler? - have you any idea how offensive that may sound to some people?

Not sure if this is a bit tongue in cheek ( I hope so).

I am sure there were many people who would have found the thought of work and high house prices a luxery as they were being gassed or watching their children starve to death in a concentration camp. Or perhaps all those men who died/their wives and kids who lost husbands and fathers though "hey-this is better than work or high house prices"

Sorry - I don't mean to lecture but I did find this really offensive.

Can't we have a discussion on work/life balance and the social impact of high house prices without resorting to statements like the one above. These sort of comments just feed the bulls and give the weibsite a bad name.

Are you seriolsy suggesting the bloke who invented work and high houseprices is worse than Adolf Hitler? - have you any idea how offensive that may sound to some people?

Not sure if this is a bit tongue in cheek ( I hope so).

I am sure there were many people who would have found the thought of work and high house prices a luxery as they were being gassed or watching their children starve to death in a concentration camp. Or perhaps all those men who died/their wives and kids who lost husbands and fathers though "hey-this is better than work or high house prices"

Sorry - I don't mean to lecture but I did find this really offensive.

Can't we have a discussion on work/life balance and the social impact of high house prices without resorting to statements like the one above. These sort of comments just feed the bulls and give the weibsite a bad name.

I second that....except the bit about feeding the bulls, what has that to do with anything?

The worst two men in history are the man who set up the website www.housepricecrash.co.uk and the man who set up the website www.housepricecycle.co.uk

Jonathan, you're out of your tree. Now where did I leave that brolly? Looks like rain this morning.

I second that....except the bit about feeding the bulls, what has that to do with anything?

It makes the site look sensationalist/not a a grip on reality/nutters/obsessive about houseprices to the exclusion of everything etc etc etc ....and any other complaints that have been thrown at this site by bulls (not specifically you)

Guest horace

That`s odd. I thought it was a woman who invented these things.

h. :huh:

Edited by horace

IMPO this is exactly the type of thread that gives HPCers a bad name. This sounds like a Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones sketch to me.

Surely your confusing wheresmyfoxhole with Gal Bear...ah but all you sycophants lap up her imaginary exploits "Slaying the Greedy Nasty Owner Occupier" ..............With you lot falling over each other to sing her praisers, shouting the likes of...Bravo, HPC Hero and such like ..... Watching the replies flood in on one of Gal Bears "Fantasy Threads" is like being at the Saturday afternoon Picture House Matinee of old, packed out with five to ten year olds all screaming at the" Baddie in the Black Cowboy Hat"

Now that's what makes this website come over to normal peeps as a feeding station for impressionable immature bitter bottom feeding losers.

I take it constructive criticism is always welcome :ph34r:

As some who has spent a great deal of my earlier life being active and supportive of human injustices and other voluntary work, such as Age Concern, Meals on Wheels. And I don’t like to mention this, The Anglican Church I am in no way in the mindset of which you accuse me. If didn’t detect the irony and nuance of my post ie Sh***ing before you get your trousers down” my message was directed at the greed and selfish of some people of this nation.

If you check some of my previous posts you will find I am as balanced as I can be and that I support the betterment of humanity where ever I can.

Of course there is no individual responsible for inventing work, albeit the buck could stop at God himself if you believe the Genesis 3 where of course like `Horace’ pointed out blamed a woman for man’s sin. Not that she wasn’t set up in the place.

No it was not in my mind to lighten and ridicule those who suffered under Hitler and Stalin. No more than if I used Genghis Khan as the personification for the human race’s most evil person.

But of course I apologise to those who have interpret my post as offensive, I didn’t mean it like that.

Sorry about the editing

Foxy

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

The bloke who invented work? Surely you mean the bloke who invented employment. We've always needed to work (find food, hunt gather, etc), the problem is when you have to do it for somebody else (especially as it's hugely in favour of the employer). We didn't always work 9-5, i'm sure life was far more enjoyable before the industrial revolution.

Yes, I'm sure dying of gum diesease at age 32 was awesome. Also, listening to some b@stard torture a homemade lute shades World of Warcraft or Sky+ in the entertainment stakes.

Catch 22

As you’ve drawn my attention to that thread I read it again from your perspective, it did make me revise my thoughts on who could have been the worst person in history.

He certainly does fit the description or personify all that is evil in property speculation, and to sit in the same carriage as him without Dr Van Helsing does make ones flesh crawl. But I’ m sue Gal is telling the truth as I am a misunderstood nice man.

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

I think it's down to NIMBY's.

Decades ago in some areas, centuries ago in others, people staked out 'their' plot, then the one's with the most influence in the area sat down & wrote some rules to avoid others turning up & spoiling the party by staking their own plots next door. I might add that the less well off IMO help this situation by encouraging the rules. They think that as they've missed out to date, that some rules will mean they won't miss out in future, but the rules backfire & mean they never get their chance as the rules won't let them have the same opportunity that the first arrivals had.

After all the only asset here is land. The rest is consumable & deteriorates over time. The town I'm in here in Sweden is a perfect example. There are about 30 waterfront plots with grand houses on them. These were laid out 100 years ago. 50 years ago rules were set up that prevented anymore waterfront properties being built (for the protection of the waterfront for all the people :lol: ). What you have now is sky high prices for the waterfront places which are set in a scenic natural environment as the forest around them is now parkland. Then you've got everyone else forced back into the town where they're 'allowed' to build.

Think about this the next time you call for new rules. Rules are what is holding prices up & development down. Encouraging development IMO would mean new housing on the outskirts, followed by deterioration of older areas as people get the chance to live in newer areas, followed by renewal in the older areas when their values drop enough to make it economical to redevelop them.

This IMO is why America is more affordable than Europe, because development is encouraged & people benefit from it.

That's an interesting intellectual argument. I'd take it far more seriously if I didn't know you're just still grizzling about your neighbour opposing your planning permission for a roof terrace... :P

As some who has spent a great deal of my earlier life being active and supportive of human injustices

That doesn't sound very nice. Are you a reformed character these days?

Edited by LTD

It makes the site look sensationalist/not a a grip on reality/nutters/obsessive about houseprices to the exclusion of everything etc etc etc ....and any other complaints that have been thrown at this site by bulls (not specifically you)

Yes I am a nutter and obsessed with house prices, who else would visitors expect to find on this forum?

LTD

After along time I’ve just given up trying.