House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
new to this

Grandparents Left Me With 260 Coins

Hello there,

I know I should not come on public forums to ask advice on how to sell 260 gold coins left to me. But I have no expert around where I live to ask.

My grandparents left me with 260 gold coins, these consist of mint condition eagles, maples, and bars. most of them are in coins.

Where do I sell these coins to get the best price?

Should I hold onto them and keep them and not sell? Price might go higher or lower?

Sould I add another £30k worth of coins?

I really need some advice as what to do to this large quantity of coins. many thanks.

PS. found you by doing a google search :)

Edited by new to this

Welcome.

I'm not sure where you can sell, if I were you try a yellow pages or ring a jewelers - but I guess you need to be careful about being ripped off.

But... Gold (well all precious metals) is in a bull market, and predicted to go much higher. I now have 40% of my wealth in Gold+Silver and plan to keep it that way for another year (maybe ?). So, holding them may be a good idea!

Gold is currently trading at £12.021 per gram (£373.90 per ounce) which is pretty much the highest it has been this decade.

If I were you I would stick around and learn more about the metals market (have a look at other threads)... but I can't really help with where to sell it - sorry.

To see how much they're worth take a look at baird and co's website.

Unless you really need the money now the majority of advice on here will to keep hold of them.

If you want to sanity check that advice there's a thread a little further down about what could cause the price of gold to fall.

If you're thinking about buying more then do plenty of research and try and get balanced opinions (and form your own) There's stacks of resoures on the web that you'll find with google just like this.

I'm sure you're the envy of many :)

But... Gold (well all precious metals) is in a bull market, and predicted to go much higher. I now have 40% of my wealth in Gold+Silver and plan to keep it that way for another year (maybe ?).

If you don't mind me being a bit nosey, what sort of prices did you buy in at Jason and are they physical or paper holdings? If it's the former also let us know where you live :D

If you don't mind me being a bit nosey, what sort of prices did you buy in at Jason and are they physical or paper holdings? If it's the former also let us know where you live :D

Yes, It's under my bed. My address... :lol:

I use Goldmoney. I bought gold in stages (from August - after the IR cut (small amounts to start with)) with a load of gold being bought below £10 per gram at the end of 2005. I have only bought gold once this year which was last week @ £12.21 (a fixed savings account matured) - not quite broke even on this yet.

I also bought silver (don't have that much) when goldmoney started selling silver - Dec05. I kinda jumped on the bandwagon and only put £1k in. Then I learnt of the silver ETF and bought more in March. I have also bought bits with additional cash after being paid each month.

So far my Sterling returns are: Silver 31%, Gold: 11% (but this return on gold has been diluted because of my recent large purchase).

I now have 40% in metals (I aint adding anymore - maybe), the rest in cash ISAs and some in regular savings accounts. With a sizeable buffer in a regular savings account if I suddenly decide to go on holiday.

Oh... and stoozing £2k on a credit card!

What about you?