House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Landagan

Foot Roasting

We see prices are falling, but continue to read otherwise.

We acknowledge rates will rise, but again the news is lost.

We know house price gains are not a good thing, but all we hear is how wonderful they are.

We stick our necks out, tell it like it is, but again and again we are cut down by the deafening noise of vested interest. Our families look at us like we are raving lunatics, whilst they take up Vordermans offer of a consolidated loan. Our friends either emigrate or 'move' north to propagate, maxed out on cheap unsecured credit from the 'good old days' when life was all sunshine and beers.

What can be more painful than this?

There was a medieval torture method called 'Foot Roasting' which I think comes pretty close.

The soles of the feet were smeared with lard and slowly roasted over red-hot coals. A bellows was used to control the intensity of the heat and a screen could be interposed between the feet and the coals as the victim was questioned. If the questions were not answered satisfactorily, the screen was withdrawn and the naked soles were again exposed to the flames.

Like this, we are being tortured into buying.

Each day sees the powers that be, bellow more lies into the dying embers of the housing market, each day we wait for a change in sentiment to be noticed, for someone to scream above the greedy clamour. 'All I want is an affordable home and a family for Christ's sake!'

Those that come here after the dust settles and see the party, may well think it is in bad taste. But as we dance in the coals of the UK HPC we will have deserved our moment, a thousand times over.

Each day sees the powers that be, bellow more lies into the dying embers of the housing market, each day we wait for a change in sentiment to be noticed, for someone to scream above the greedy clamour. 'All I want is an affordable home and a family for Christ's sake!'

Those that come here after the dust settles and see the party, may well think it is in bad taste. But as we dance in the coals of the UK HPC we will have deserved our moment, a thousand times over.

Certainly I don't feel myself on the receiving end of anything like as much pressure as you seem to get. The most I ever hear is the occasional "property prices will only ever go up" and "renting is dead money" comments, both of which are easy to counter. I'd say that the tortue I'm receiving is more along the line of somebody threatening to stare threateningly at me while I'm walking off somewhere in the distance than foot roasting.

Billy Shears

I am a strong willed man, but the buzzing drone of 'buy, buy' buy' ... 'borrow, borrow, borrow' is driving me slightly mad right now.

Please excuse the groans of a tortured soul, as I am nowhere near ready to buy in just yet.

Yes, a beer tonight is now is a certainty.

ouch! ... bugger, they just turned up the flames again! ... or was that the wife this time?!

ouch! ... bugger, they just turned up the flames again! ... or was that the wife this time?!

Ah yes, the wife. Now that's another issue... I did also used to have my three year old daughter telling me how all her friends had their own bedrooms. But I think she might have been put up to that...

Great Post L

If you look at the LR figures they aren't as bad as they appear (not here anyway)

drops across the board in Cornwall - hurrah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county24.stm

Compare it with rightmove's claims of up 10.4% Q1 (South West) and annual up 8.5%

The sound of spin is drowning out the screech of brakes but I won't be able to drown out the enormous bang when it happens

CS

Great Post L

If you look at the LR figures they aren't as bad as they appear (not here anyway)

drops across the board in Cornwall - hurrah

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county24.stm

Compare it with rightmove's claims of up 10.4% Q1 (South West) and annual up 8.5%

The sound of spin is drowning out the screech of brakes but I won't be able to drown out the enormous bang when it happens

CS

Thanks CS, much appreciated. As is the value of this website.

The figures add up favourably for me also, after deciding not to buy last Spring/Summer.

I too must walk away from provocation.

"Foot Roasting" isn't that a bizarre podophilic sexual practice carried out in hotel rooms involving drunken female fans and professional football players ?