House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Confiteor

Hugh Whittow Of The Express -- A New Hate Figure

I caught Up All Night on Radio Five Live on the way home in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday). They have a look at the morning's newspaper editions and the host, Rod Sharp, spoke to the deputy editor of The Daily Express, Hugh Whittow.

If ever you wondered why the Express ramps the market so unashamedly, then this guy reveals all. I wonder if he may have a BTL or two??????

It can be heard here (it starts 36.40 into the broadcast):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/fi...velive/uan1_tue

I also have a 3.5MB MP3 of this interview, but my webspace is fukd so I can't upload it. Is there anywhere, or anyone, I can send it to so they can host it? It's definitely one for the archives!

Here's a transcript. As ever, it doesn't do the thing justice. You really need to hear this guy to truly appreciate him:

RS: "Let's have a look at the Express. Hugh Whittow can tell us what's on their front page."

HW: "Well good news Rod on two fronts actually. The first one is that there's a new housing boom -- it's under way. We've been talking to a lot of people over the last few days and house sales have soared by more than a third during the last three months. Prices have been rising more than 5% and the average value of a three-bedroom semi-detached home is now close to £200,000. It's not just that. There's all sorts of £1m-homes being sold and property economists are saying that momentum could fuel another property boom this year, and it's likely to go on for some time. We've spoke (sic) to housing economist John Wrigglesworth, who said that today's mortgage rates are as low as we've seen them since the late 1950s and first-time buyers -- you know, this is good news actually because we're all worried about our children and things like that -- are being helped by a wide range of flexible mortgages, which is helping them get on the ladder."

RS: "Well, helping them get in DEBT isn't it? At rates that are....."

HW: "Well...whenever you buy a house you get into debt of course. But at least they are getting the opportunity now to get on the housing ladder."

RS: "But I mean, is it healthy that they are being encouraged to borrow as much as they are; as much as they have to?"

HW: "Well, we have to trust that some of them are sensible and will behave themeselves and not borrow too much. You know, we've all been in that situation. I was given some very good, sound advice some time ago that always borrow a little bit more than you think because in two or three years' time you will reap the benefits and you won't regret it. It's always done me good. So you have to hope that the youngsters who want to cash in will get on the housing market. As I say, it's been a worry for some time that they wouldn't be able to buy houses at all. The one place they won't be able to buy houses is in Kensingtin & Chelsea, because the average home there now, in London, is worth £827,000 (chuckle). But if people go outside London, down in Wales -- well it's a long way from where I come from -- but down in Wales it's the cheapest place to buy a home. You can get a property down there; the average cost is £82,000. And up in Kingston- Upon-Hull it's £83,000. But it's good news all round: don't worry about the debt -- get in on the market."

RS: "Ok, what's the other bit of good news?"

Interview thens drones on into discussion about water leaks and how the Express is going to keep an eye on the water companies who, You ****** tells us, are owned by "the French and the Germans."

Pretty appalling comments. Is it any wonder the youth of today have little respect for their elders?

Their elders are a bunch of greedy, self-serving half wits, by and large. The real educational problems in this country were clearly in the past, not the present. <_<

Excuse me while I bump this up the list! It has been sitting in "new member" purgatory for half-an-hour, even though I've been a member of this place ever since its original (yellow text on blue backgound, if memory serves) guise.

Guest The_Oldie

Excuse me while I bump this up the list! It has been sitting in "new member" purgatory for half-an-hour, even though I've been a member of this place ever since its original (yellow text on blue backgound, if memory serves) guise.

Sorted.

It's interesting that John Wrigglesworth's name pops up in nearly all of these rampant bull articles isn't it?

I hate him. :angry:

What he says is appalling. Great lot of help it is for someone to take on too much debt and get repossessed. And are mortgage rates really the lowest they've ever been since the 50s? Really? Lower than they were a little while ago when the base rates was 3.50%? Don't believe it.

But W&L, imagine that you find yourself stuck in an elevator with a man who introduces himself as Hugh Whitlow. Your weapons are your bare hands, the contents of your purse, and whatever intestinal gasses have been building up. What do you do?

Billy Shears

What he says is appalling. Great lot of help it is for someone to take on too much debt and get repossessed. And are mortgage rates really the lowest they've ever been since the 50s? Really? Lower than they were a little while ago when the base rates was 3.50%? Don't believe it.

But W&L, imagine that you find yourself stuck in an elevator with a man who introduces himself as Hugh Whitlow. Your weapons are your bare hands, the contents of your purse, and whatever intestinal gasses have been building up. What do you do?

Billy Shears

Assuming WAL is a smoker: fart in his face and light it?

Assuming WAL is a smoker: fart in his face and light it?

You'd think she'd have at least something in her purse capable of piercing flesh.

Billy Shears

A friend gave me this advice about 10 years ago (borrow as much as you possibly can). The fact is it has served a whole generation very well, and they don't even know why. Prices went up, so they automatically think it must be a good thing.

A friend gave me this advice about 10 years ago (borrow as much as you possibly can). The fact is it has served a whole generation very well, and they don't even know why. Prices went up, so they automatically think it must be a good thing.

Somebody posted a nice quote a little while ago. "Financial genius is a short memory in a rising market".

Billy Shears

My mum and dad are committed DAILY MAIL readers, which probably explains how I came out so well-rounded. I on the other hand am a Telegraph reader. I know no Express readers at all.

Though they do have Anne Widdecombe writing for them.

It is the right think to do if there is high inflation e.g. the 70's 80's however a crap think to do in a low inflation environment (well at least a low official / wage inflation environment) Will cause all sorts of problems otherwise.

Does the Daily Express run big adverts for mortgage lending companies?

If the answer is yes, then that's the only explanation you need for Mr. Whittow's comments.

Follow the money.

frugalista

Absolutely. Borrowing big makes sense at the bottom of the cycle, not at or around the peak.

But I doubt Whittow is really as stupid as his comments would make him appear. He's another boy-done-good who is trying to cajole the "youngsters" into paying for his generation's party to last just a little longer.

If this is not the smug puss of a BTLer, I'll eat my Express - if I had one:

_38251026_whittow.jpg

Guest The_Oldie

I know no Express readers at all.

It is my paper of choice in the works canteen. The choice is.........Sun, Star or Express :lol:.

That's it then we are all shafted - unless we move to Hull

Lets just all join the party and borrow as much money as possible..... so in my case about £70,000 I dont have anything to remortgage so unlike everyone else I am not even allowed to buy one place

Guest Winners and Losers

Billy Shears

Kick him in the balls of course. :rolleyes:

You'd think she'd have at least something in her purse capable of piercing flesh.

Billy Shears

I save that for my special victims. :unsure:

Did you change Billy Shears for Mags? You tease. :rolleyes:

I must have missed something there.The owner of The Express is Richard Desmond.Back in the 70`s he and I were both in the music industry,him selling space and me selling guitars and we new each other quite well.Guess what,I`m still selling guitars! :lol:

Kick him in the balls of course. :rolleyes:

I assume you wear industrial steel-tipped boots then. Anything less would be a bit disappointing.

Did you change Billy Shears for Mags? You tease. :rolleyes:

Surely she could buy Ringo's latest album "Choose Love" and look at the pictures in the liner notes to her heart's content.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3013766-1691821

Well, if we have people ramping property from all directions, why can't I ramp Ringo Starr albums. At £4.75 from a marketplace seller it's never been cheaper, and the price of the album will only ever go up from here.

Billy Shears

Guest Winners and Losers

I assume you wear industrial steel-tipped boots then. Anything less would be a bit disappointing.

I suppose I imagined that he had very small ones and that one carefully directed stab with my pink sitelleto would do the trick. :unsure: