House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
urban_hymn

Merrill Lynch New Energy

For those of you who may be frustrated like me as to the paucity of ways to play soft commodities long term it may be of interest that the Merrill Lynch New Energy Fund (tradeable on the LSE as MNE.L) has Archer Daniels as one of its top 10 holdings.

Archer Daniels are: (from their website)

"Archer Daniels Midland Company is one of the largest agricultural processors in the world. Serving as a vital link between farmers and consumers, we take crops and process them to make food ingredients, animal feed ingredients, renewable fuels and naturally derived alternatives to industrial chemicals...."

........well I thought this was interesting anyway :rolleyes:

UH - you invested?

I have a 2ks worth. I thought it might trade sideways for a long time.

I like this fund. It has the brand name "Merrill Lynch", the people that gave us the steroidal Gold and General.

The portfolio is a bit too windy and solar for my liking but it's the only game in town apart from Impax.

If you missed houses and missed metals then alternative energy's the next one IMHO but when it will get going - who knows?

Edited by urban_hymn

5 year chart's not so clever.

Now's the time. Those piling in early no doubt sold out bitter and twisted. It's beginning to get interesting now!

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchar...&freq=2&time=13

5 year chart doesn't look too bad,it's broken it's downtrend and based out......admittedly the base is only about a year long in '03....so I wouldn't expect massive amounts of upside.......general rule of thumb is the longer the base the bigger the gains when it breaks.Oil,gold and nikkei are great examples.

5 year chart doesn't look too bad,it's broken it's downtrend and based out......admittedly the base is only about a year long in '03....so I wouldn't expect massive amounts of upside.......general rule of thumb is the longer the base the bigger the gains when it breaks.Oil,gold and nikkei are great examples.

I read that this fund is discounted. I know next to nowt about this sort of thing, but if l were to purchase some fund units is this discount automatic or do l have to ask for it specifically/take manager out to champagne lunch/state masonic lodge.

I read that this fund is discounted. I know next to nowt about this sort of thing, but if l were to purchase some fund units is this discount automatic or do l have to ask for it specifically/take manager out to champagne lunch/state masonic lodge.

Not quite sure where you're coming from DabHand.

The shares trade at a premium of 4.8% to their Net Asset Value if that's what you meant?