House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTBagain

Some Good News For The Bears

Then we will see just how robust this 'booming' housing market really is.

Article says a rise in Japan in July at the latest, although it's only going to be gradual since they won't want to overdo things.

Mortgage rates are already rising ahead of the BoE rise so hopefully this be enough to grind things to a halt once again.

But any hopes of significant nominal falls still look like distant wish to me.

http://www.fxstreet.com/nou/content/102400...rket&dia=952006

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 5:30 GMT

Daily Report

By FX Japan

Bloomberg

Yen Rises to Eight-Month High Versus Dollar on Expectation of Higher Rates
The yen rose to an eight-month high against the dollar on speculation the
Bank of Japan will begin lifting lending rates
as the Federal Reserve prepares to pause in its almost two-year cycle of increasing borrowing costs.

But any hopes of significant nominal falls still look like distant wish to me.

I'm not so sure. Debt is driving my people into repossession. People are starting to notice. This market is looking more and more digital (ie full on or full off), in sentiment terms. Not quite there yet, but one of these swings could be very steep, just look at the way the US market is going.

Anyway, we can live in hope.

http://www.fxstreet.com/nou/content/112840...rket&dia=952006

he JPY hit a six-week high against the EUR after a media report stoked expectations the BoJ will raise interest rates as soon as July.
Jiji Press news agency reported that the BOJ would upgrade its description of the economy, replacing the word "recovery" with "expansion" in its upcoming monthly assessment, driving the JPY higher across the board.
Such a change would be the first since 1991 and underscores that the central bank is moving closer to boosting short-term rates for the first time in six years.

If the market is ignoring the BoJ and the implications of even a .25% hike by the BoJ we are all in for some surprises this summer. The banks have been quielty reducing savings rates and hiking mortgage rates recently and it does not take a lot of intelligence to work out why. Its because IR are headed up and the BoE is not in control--the creditor nations are and both Japan and China are tightening. As the BoJ and BoC rates filter through we will begin to see even higher rates than we have now. Its just beginning.

Edited by Realistbear

I think the first rise the BoJ implements will be 0.15% to take the base rate to 0.25%, just to signal the end of near zero rates, and to get their rates into nice round number for future hikes. :)