House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dames

Council House Purchase Ban Agreed

definately

This should now apply across all councils!!

Why should people renting council houses have the right to buy in the first place!!

ok a small discount like 10% under market - im happy with that!!

but not while house prices are still increasing!

It's about time....now if they can start to find the money to build more social housing isntead of paying massive amounts of cash to private landlords to house people we might start to get a little bit more for all the tax we pay....

I'm against these scumbags having the opportunity to buy a public asset at a discounted price. Maybe a small discount is OK, but not the massive ones that some have enjoyed.

Rather than let people own & fix these things up, I would have rather seen entire rows of them erased from existence & replaced with mock period terrace houses sold at retail instead. The ex-council tenants could then have rented them off the private sector & gotten much better service than the council offers.

I think this is a red herring, distracting you slightly from the propblem that there's no cheap housing anywhere.

The poor souls who instead of scheming against the taxpayer by being as lazy & needy as possible, will now have to go out & work if they want to buy a home. Genuinely needy people (like the disabled for example) will then have the chance at the secure & subsidised accomodation councils offer.

The poor souls who instead of scheming against the taxpayer by being as lazy & needy as possible, will now have to go out & work if they want to buy a home. Genuinely needy people (like the disabled for example) will then have the chance at the secure & subsidised accomodation councils offer.

Hi,

That is very socially conscious and caring of you TIME_TO_RAISE_THE RENTS. I bet would be licking your lips at the thought of getting hold of some disabled and mentally impaired people, maybe you could get them to give you power of attorney over their benefit-giro books? Like candy from a baby, luverly-jubberly!

Can I just point out that whilst the right to buy tenannts may now own a house that they wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to buy they a. Have to be working to get the mortgage in the first place with which to buy it, even with a 40% discount which is what my mother was given and b. these houses are in area's that most of you wouldn't live in unless destitute.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Closing stable door after horse has bolted?

Not only has the horse bolted, it's had a long and healthy life, been put out to pasture, died at a ripe old age, been made into glue, which, if any were still on the shelves, would be long past its sell-by date.

these houses are in area's that most of you wouldn't live in unless destitute.

Check out some of the prices being asked for ex-LA properties, they certainly ain't being aimed at the destitute.

Closing stable door after horse has bolted?

Not only has the horse bolted, it's had a long and healthy life, been put out to pasture, died at a ripe old age, been made into glue, which, if any were still on the shelves, would be long past its sell-by date.

Check out some of the prices being asked for ex-LA properties, they certainly ain't being aimed at the destitute.

Trust me I was brought up in Chelmsley wood where houses are now for sale for £90k and you would not live in that area by choice they have had incidents of burning crosses in peoples gardens.

Some of us who live in social housing have degrees and MAs and work full time. From my experience I can say the service I get from my housing association is far superior from any private landlord I have had in the past.

Plus I go to sleep at night with the knowledge that Im not paying my rent while someone else enriches themselves at my expense.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

I bought an ex-LA house some years back. Bought for £95K (had already been in private hands twice over BTW) and sold for £210K. Think that's bad: neighbour there bought for £36K in 1996 (right to buy), sold for £249K.

Wasn't in the best of areas, but wasn't the worst either.

Ex-LA flats in Primrose Hill can go for £300K easily.