House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jp1

Factory Prices Threaten Inflation

Rising energy costs are feeding through the UK supply chain - pushing up prices and threatening inflation, the latest official statistics have indicated.

Manufacturers' raw materials bills rose at their fastest pace in nine months in April, hit by record oil prices, the Office for National Statistics said.

There was also a surprise hike in the prices they charged, which rose by 2.4% in the year to April.

UK IR's up next month? - looking increasingly likely :D

The threat of avian flu had led to a big drop in poultry sales and a rise in the price of other meat products, the ONS added.

Is Chicken in the basket. If it is watch out for it changing to Mrs Miggins pork pies.

Is Chicken in the basket. If it is watch out for it changing to Mrs Miggins pork pies.

They put Chicken back in the basket (sounds funny :lol: ) - one of my thoughts back then was because of Bird Flu and it would lead to less buying of chicken. TV License came out (due to 15% increase).

Retailers have been absorbing these fuel rises to protect their sales in a recent tough trading environment

Looks like they can't hold back the floodgates any longer

It's only going to take a couple of macro-economic incidents to knock this shakey economy downwards IMO

They put Chicken back in the basket (sounds funny :lol: ) - one of my thoughts back then was because of Bird Flu and it would lead to less buying of chicken. TV License came out (due to 15% increase).

Now if I was charged with constructing inflation figures that might "help" the Government in power I might argue that any costs that were incurred to live and work should be removed.

Why, well my shaky logic would be that you have to pay them, much like taxes.

The Politicians concerned could then do the selling of the new system, for shaky logic often seems to be their forte.

Now if I was charged with constructing inflation figures that might "help" the Government in power I might argue that any costs that were incurred to live and work should be removed.

Nah. Just give people free petrol and gas and then tax them to pay for it.

Tax rates would increase massively, but because they're taxes they're not counted as 'inflation'. Job done.

Nah. Just give people free petrol and gas and then tax them to pay for it.

Tax rates would increase massively, but because they're taxes they're not counted as 'inflation'. Job done. [MarkG]

Or just give over 60s 'free' use of public transport and reduce the weighting in the CPI accordingly?