House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I Told You So

The Press

Although many of us have been banging on about IR rises for months the media only now seem happy to talk about it. Is this because they were sucked in by certain city pundits or were they just scared to make predictions about the almost ludicrous idea that IR could rise.

Now that its widely accepted that IR will rise they are either very slow or very frightened to suggest that there will be a HPC.

Puppets, muppets you choose but is it any wonder so many people in this country make such terrible investment decisions.

Edited by I Told You So

The mainstream media exist to tell people what they already know, and seem mostly concerned with third-rate 'reality TV' celebrities. If you want discussions of what's probably going to happen in the future, you use the Internet.

I'm not convinced that the press are muppets or puppets.

Self-serving maybe.

I think they have a number of priorities:

1) Editors and owner of newspaper/news channel's interests (otherwise it won't get anywhere)

2) Putting out content that will make people buy/watch their rubbish

3) Pressure from PR/Government

4) laziness and deadlines

I'm not sure the conspiracy ends with the media... for the main part I think they are lazy and just rehash stuff from news services and PR departments as stories.

There is likely some influence from politics (via Editors / owners etc), especially at the BBC.

Anyone want to add to that list?

I think people suffer from a sort of situational mass-hypnosis.

It's rather like soldiers used to stand in lines opposite each other, wearing red uniforms, taking it in turns to shoot. That's just how it was done. It takes a flash of genius to spot reality and bring it unaltered to the mainstream (with soldiers, that's to wear camouflage, creep up behind people and lie down behind cover objects). The moment it is done, no one can understand why they were all so blinkered before.

I think the battle strategy quickly changed with the advent of the gun.

Before, it was an advantage to have soldiers dressed in bright colours in a regimented pattern.

They did this to be seen, and to scare the enemy. This strategy was kept for a while when guns were basic and slow to reload.

Once the enemy had machine guns (here's the bit from the Monty Python sketch...) they quickly learned the advantage of 'not being seen'

to respond to the original question "stupid or scared"?

perhaps both. Perhaps they are both facets of the same oneness.

To be scared is stupid.

To be stupid is scary.

I can vouch for both.

Although many of us have been banging on about IR rises for months the media only now seem happy to talk about it. Is this because they were sucked in by certain city pundits or were they just scared to make predictions about the almost ludicrous idea that IR could rise.

Now that its widely accepted that IR will rise they are either very slow or very frightened to suggest that there will be a HPC.

Puppets, muppets you choose but is it any wonder so many people in this country make such terrible investment decisions.

neither - they report "rolling news" as it is happening and focus on the sensational aspects of that news. They dont attenmpt to predict future news.

If there is a HPC they will skim the reasons behind it and focus on the "human interest angle".

Lazyness for me I'm afraid.

Journalists are amongst the laziest workers I have ever known.

Having worked for newspapers all my life, they just re-write press releases and drink.

I think people suffer from a sort of situational mass-hypnosis.

It's one thing to spout off honestly on an internet forum, but if you are suddenly writing an article to be printed in the Times, say, suddenly you become all "professional" and "balanced" and "blah". Not that you are being any of those things, you are just yielding to the group-think.

It's rather like soldiers used to stand in lines opposite each other, wearing red uniforms, taking it in turns to shoot. That's just how it was done. It takes a flash of genius to spot reality and bring it unaltered to the mainstream (with soldiers, that's to wear camouflage, creep up behind people and lie down behind cover objects). The moment it is done, no one can understand why they were all so blinkered before.

Agree with you re: mass hynosis. A lot is talked about 'choice' And many seem to say 'stuff them it was their choice, and they made the wrong one'. I think many don't have a 'choice' as they are so completely brainwashed by the media.

They need some ' Colonel Blimp' type realisation of people not playing fair to snap out of it.

Btw, Camoflage has been with us for centuries, well used by the scots in their tartan. Brilliantly illustrated in the film Brave heart where Mel Gibson paints his face blue to blend in with scottish wet weather ;)

I'm not convinced that the press are muppets or puppets.

Self-serving maybe.

I think they have a number of priorities:

1) Editors and owner of newspaper/news channel's interests (otherwise it won't get anywhere)

2) Putting out content that will make people buy/watch their rubbish

3) Pressure from PR/Government

4) laziness and deadlines

I'm not sure the conspiracy ends with the media... for the main part I think they are lazy and just rehash stuff from news services and PR departments as stories.

There is likely some influence from politics (via Editors / owners etc), especially at the BBC.

Anyone want to add to that list?

The interests of Corps advertising in the papers / tv channels ? and stifling / dumbing down content so they are not offended

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Guest Guy_Montag

Laziness gets my vote too. I think people here see conspiracies where there are none. Most people are, to a greater or lesser extent, lazy. If you read well, any paper or the bbc website, the vast majority of articles are re-written press releases, as the journos struggle to keep up with the flood. If you read the articles in Sat/Sun newspapers &/or op-ed articles on the BBC website, you get a more varied flavour. The weekend journos have more time to research these articles, and op-ed articles require the person producing them to think, rather than "rewrite in less than 500 words, this press release".

Eg. the telegraph piece on de-gentrification.

Now mostly press-releases are released by large organisations with the money to produce them. Mostly these large organisations are companies, and mostly these companies are making money from the rising house market. So mostly the rehashed press releases are about the benefits of a rising market.

Finally while calling round for an opinion on, say the 2% mom Halifax increase, who are you going to call? You need to call someone who knows about the housing market - well that would be an estate agent. Who else is accessible, yet has a broad & deep knowledge of this market? (Well broad & deep may be an exaggeration, but you should get my point.)

Who would trust the press to ever get it right? I dont believe in conspiracy as a rule, especially not amongst

such a bunch of empty vessels as the media. It makes me chuckle though, look at Anatole or any of the

other economic journos - most are just divvies. I think the media is to be treated as the shoeshine boys of

1929 - when they say buy, sell and vice versa.

As a point of interest...

The reason soldiers stood up and shot at each other was because you cant reload a muzzle-loading musket lying down.

Besides, battles were still more often won by blades and bludgeoning than musket and cannon. If you ordered your soldiers to shoot lying down, they would be bayoneted by the enemy while they squirmed about on their bellies trying to ram their powder home.

It was only with the advent of brass cartridges and breach-loading that it became practical to lie down and shoot. Each army learnt it their own way. Tommy Atkins learnt this pretty bloody fast when Brother Boer- skilled frontiersman and professional hunters - levelled their mausers and gently squeezed their triggers. At any rate, the ones who didn't learn didn't live to tell the tale...............

Anyhoo, out of this shambles came the finest army in the world for its size. They called themselves the "Old Contemptibles" and were expert marksmen and skilled in fieldcraft. But thats another story..........

Bad news does not sell papers--most people own their own home or have BTLs. Last thing they want to read is that prices go up as well as down. Give 'em a good knicker shot and tell them that their houses will double again in 10 years and they will buy the paper.

FT, Wall Street Journal and other financial papers are more likely to tell it like it is as their readership usually get out of bubbles before they pop and like to read about their good judgment calls!