House Price Crash Forum

Calling Worldly Wise Hpcers

You read it in a book ???? Then it MUST be true !!!

Good point Tuberider. Always best to rely upon uncorroborated hearsay that conforms to your own world view I reckon (so comforting!). Or a bb.

I also like to emotionally blackmail women so that they feel terrible if they think about returning to work.

That's my favorite thing.

Oh, except for pointing to skinny models in the papers and then making unfavorable comparisons to real life women around me.

Good point Tuberider. Always best to rely upon uncorroborated hearsay that conforms to your own world view I reckon (so comforting!). Or a bb.

I also like to emotionally blackmail women so that they feel terrible if they think about returning to work.

That's my favorite thing.

Oh, except for pointing to skinny models in the papers and then making unfavorable comparisons to real life women around me.

I've read Freakonomics and the points made makes sense to me as well.

I suspect poverty and social exclusion hurts a child far more than having 2 working parents

I've read Freakonomics and the points made makes sense to me as well.

I suspect poverty and social exclusion hurts a child far more than having 2 working parents

Freakanomics.... hmm.... it's not a bad book to pass time on a plane or a train, but the content is poor both in terms of both quality and quantity

Nice big size easy to handle, nice big print fills up those pages !

Before you know it you'll be finished and you can put it up there on the bookshelf with all your paolo cohelo and celebrity autobiographies. looks nice.

Let's not think too much eh

When I was a youngster (50s and 60s) every kid's mum was at home to take them to school and pick them up. Many had part time jobs that fitted in with school hours and wouldn't have dreamt of not being there for the kids. The term "latch key kids" was coined for the very rare exception to this.

Mind you, most working class people lived in council houses then, and didn't aspire to buy.

The council housing stock is far lower than it was.

I have no 'aspirations' to buy, but if I want a decent enough house then I must. As a married woman who is pregnant I am neither a drug addict, mentally ill, disabled or a single mother. All these people are above us in the pecking order if we want to live in a council house, allowing us to live the way we want - mum looking after kids full time until they go to school.

The council housing stock is far lower than it was.

I have no 'aspirations' to buy, but if I want a decent enough house then I must. As a married woman who is pregnant I am neither a drug addict, mentally ill, disabled or a single mother. All these people are above us in the pecking order if we want to live in a council house, allowing us to live the way we want - mum looking after kids full time until they go to school.

This thread was to raise the profile and highlight the predicament of mothers (young families) in modern Britain. BLight - I wish you well but I fear that the financial forces at work in Britain (the world?) don't care about you or any FTB or young family. The needs of those with money already, outweigh the needs of the next generation and those charged with nurturing it. This is Capitalism at its finest.

QUOTE(aussieboy @ May 8 2006, 07:48 PM)

I received plenty... but I'm a bit of a rationalist too.

So how have you rationalised the good in the current situation? How can it be rational to deny women(men) the choice to be around for their child in its formative years and beyond?

Are house prices forcing Australians to accept the new deal about being a parent then? Are they happy to give up their babies everyday to pay the bank? Is this the way it is going to be for ever more? If the needs of people don't matter we might as well give up now. One thing's for sure the market makers don't give a ****.

You never answered this Aussieboy.

The key point I would like you to concede is whether it is desirable for us to return to house prices where CHOICE is possible for young parents. Not the rights and wrongs of working v stay at home.

Not so, not so. Is those children whose parents were denied access to abortions that grow up unwanted, un-nurtered and "dole scum". And how can someone defend single mothers these day? Perhaps someone who has met some... or was the child of one?

Can you define single mum please? My mum became a single mum when i was 13. She was (and still is) a teacher. As far as i know she has never been on the dole! There are a whole array of single mums out there. She brought up three (two younger than me) children on her own, got two through uni - sometimes a family is better off being a single parent one than a two parent one. She's still on her own.

p.s we didn't live in a council house, or claim benefits full stop.

Edited by Bubble Pop Electric

QUOTE(aussieboy @ May 8 2006, 07:48 PM)

I received plenty... but I'm a bit of a rationalist too.

You never answered this Aussieboy.

The key point I would like you to concede is whether it is desirable for us to return to house prices where CHOICE is possible for young parents. Not the rights and wrongs of working v stay at home.

Life's too short... and it was clearly time to disengage from a very pointless discussion around the fallacy of choice.

You can keep going if you like.

Life's too short... and it was clearly time to disengage from a very pointless discussion around the fallacy of choice.

You can keep going if you like.

I will try because the thoughts behind this thread are largely the reason I ended up on this forum. Since joining the site the buying position for FTBs has declined further and choices regarding child rearing approaches have become a thing of the past for all but the fortunate few.

It's never pointless to discuss when systems, that humans have invented or are exploiting, don't meet the needs of a vast percentage of a particular group. The consequences of the extended nature of the current position for social cohesion and progress are huge. We hear more and more that FTBs don't matter and that the market is being driven by investors. It truly is the case that those with capital, or ready access to it, are screwing young people. If we don't value our children and the upbringing we give them then society will regress. We can see plenty of signs that this is happening already (binge drinking, anti social behaviour, lack of respect etc..). Value kids they value you back and this starts by not just handing them over to the nearest child minder or nursery employing staff on minimum wage.

Of the replies so far - only 1 poster has replied about the position in other nations (that being Hong Kong where the feeling was that things were even worse for FTBs and that grandparents were relied upon for childcare as a result of both parents having to work). So what about elsewhere? Has anywhere resisted this or have housing costs taken away choice worldwide?

Hate to agree with anything I read in the Daily Mail but they have got one thing right over the years:

The family unit works

Simple.

I used to commute from small town in Essex (not particularly affluent), to Chislehurst (F$%@ing expensive area).

My observation was that the kids in the more affluent area were worse behaved, spoilt brats.

Could this be due to both parents working stupid hours to be able afford even more stupid property prices? I am no psychologist but neglect is still a form of child abuse.

This is another reason high house prices are creating all sorts of problems for the future.