House Price Crash Forum
88Crash

I Live In The South East

Job losses in Woking are forecast in Surrey as press reports suggest that NTL will axe between 4000-6000 jobs

Many jobs will be outsourced to India (as if NTL call centres weren’t bad enough already!)

Now this is a VERY different from car jobs being lost in the Midlands

No disrespect meant to the Midlands from me, but I would point out that most people in the South East, which is were the money and power is concentrated don’t really give a f*ck about the Midlands

However, huge job losses in the UK’s most expensive county is an altogether different matter and remember, traditionally HPI starts in the south and so does HPC

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Job losses in Woking are forecast in Surrey as press reports suggest that NTL will axe between 4000-6000 jobs

But do you think call centre job losses will affect the Surrey market? I can't imagine many call centre staff are owner-occupiers in the fancy Surrey villages. They probably commute in from Basingstoke or somewhere.

But do you think call centre job losses will affect the Surrey market? I can't imagine many call centre staff are owner-occupiers in the fancy Surrey villages. They probably commute in from Basingstoke or somewhere.

In fact it is the old Telewest HQ which is closing in Woking. No call centre staff , and probably a median salary of at least £30k.

There would have been some high earners there as well, but in general Woking exists as a dormitory town for London. 99% of the better Woking property will be occupied by those working in London.

There would have been some high earners there as well, but in general Woking exists as a dormitory town for London. 99% of the better Woking property will be occupied by those working in London.

Seems to me that 99% of the better Woking property is occupied by retired people in their 60s and 70s.

Seems to me that 99% of the better Woking property is occupied by retired people in their 60s and 70s.

True, of course. What I should have said is that those of working age that live in the nicer parts of Woking or unlikely to be local workers, and the announcement of redundances in the town would have little affect on prices.

The poorer areas of the town e.g. Sheerwater etc are likely to be affected more.

True, of course. What I should have said is that those of working age that live in the nicer parts of Woking or unlikely to be local workers, and the announcement of redundances in the town would have little affect on prices.

The poorer areas of the town e.g. Sheerwater etc are likely to be affected more.

Just heard today that Capita are going to begin a large scale outsourcing project to india of many of their uk call centers. An I.T friend who works for capita is currently crying into his soup and maybe wishing he hadn't mewed to get that nice SLK he drives work in everyday. Don't know how many people exactly capita are shifting to Mumbai but its a lot, capita are one of the UK's biggest employers, 23,000 people currently employed in the UK.

Pimp my snack

Just heard today that Capita are going to begin a large scale outsourcing project to india of many of their uk call centers. An I.T friend who works for capita is currently crying into his soup and maybe wishing he hadn't mewed to get that nice SLK he drives work in everyday. Don't know how many people exactly capita are shifting to Mumbai but its a lot, capita are one of the UK's biggest employers, 23,000 people currently employed in the UK.

Pimp my snack

People still don't get it do they?

The economic forces taking effect in the World today.

Many jobs will be outsourced to India (as if NTL call centres weren’t bad enough already!)

I believe that Tony B Liar recently said "It is inevitable that jobs would be lost overseas..." or something to that effect.

Don't think about it as being a bad thing, after all we are in a global economy and therefore this benefits someone else in another part of our 'global village'. We are all buddies.

I suppose it might be worse, if for example, you couldn't find alternative work because of the recent spate of Eastern European immigration. This isn't true though because if you're unemployed you wouldn't want to do that sort of job.

But.... thanks to this government's failure, sophism no less, those made redundant will gradually become insane and sign up for disability. The remaining few can become property-developers.

It makes me sick when I hear the word 'outsourced', especially when large institutions and the government see it as a good thing.

However, huge job losses in the UK’s most expensive county is an altogether different matter

Indeed, especially when they are better people, inferior people losing jobs in other parts of the country doesn't matter... even if leaves them unable to send their tax revenue to where it belongs. :rolleyes:

Which brings me on to another point. If or when we ge even more jobs being outsourced to India etc, what exactly should the average British worker do if he doesn't have a degree or doesn't want to work in Law, I.T. etc etc? :huh:

Move to India to work in a call center?

Which brings me on to another point. If or when we ge even more jobs being outsourced to India etc, what exactly should the average British worker do if he doesn't have a degree or doesn't want to work in Law, I.T. etc etc? :huh:

It's already the case, look around your average council estate (oft visited by BuyingBear when in search of shortcuts :blink:), there is huge hidden unemployment in this country, literally a whole class and generation of people that are 'redundant' in our economy, aside from their Keynesianism style purchasing power. The industries are long gone, but the people remain.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Start their own business? Sell stuff on ebay? Play QuizCall all day?

I heard, oustide of Central London Mayfair type areas .... Woking Guildford was the "poshest" part of the UK ??

In the past having "upmarket" company HQ's was a sign of prestige ..... nowadays I think these places are ripe for closure and relocation !!

I heard, oustide of Central London Mayfair type areas .... Woking Guildford was the "poshest" part of the UK ??

In the past having "upmarket" company HQ's was a sign of prestige ..... nowadays I think these places are ripe for closure and relocation !!

I don't know on the scale how Woking compares to London, but the point is, if the most expensive county is being affected, that has a bigger implication then an area North of Watford (no offence meant to anyone living beyond watford intended)

HPI started down South

London has bounced back in the last few months - is it a dead cat bounce?

We are told that low IR and unemployment underpins our wonderful housing market -whoops!

Also, remember that in the South East, you will find a far greater concentration of 100K plus jobs

Although the majority of NTL workers will be on less then that, quite a few on those high saleries will also go and it is easier to get another 20k job than a 100k job

That is the sort of person that can easily fall into repo/distressed sale

that is a factor that can pull down prices very rapidly