House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain'ard

It's Always Blokes

I have had a digital box for some time now and very much enjoy watching the all day news stations. BBC SKY etc.

But, I can’t stand the way they keep showing the same video tape loop without let up.

BBC do it until you’re fed up, you turn over then Sky are doing the same thing.

Saturday was dreadful when that helicopter crashed. We saw those people celebrating and rejoicing that somebody had been killed..

I did notice one thing though. They were all men, or grown up boys. I suppose the women were doing more sensible things like getting on with their lives, or more important and productive things like looking after their children and vainly keeping the peace.

Did you get to speak to any of those people and ask them what they were doing?

I didn't think so.

NDL

/quote]

Yes, they said they play the tape as a continuous loop as it is more economical.

How Could I speak to those people without getting my head cut off?

No I don’t have to ask those other people as I am convinced that this minority believe that some soul has been burnt to death and gone to hell and we all should be pleased.

I was trying to bring a gender perspective into this mess, and as far as I have seen always seems to be overlooked by the obvious.

I have had a digital box for some time now and very much enjoy watching the all day news stations. BBC SKY etc.

But, I can’t stand the way they keep showing the same video tape loop without let up.

Saturday was dreadful when that helicopter crashed. We saw those people celebrating and rejoicing that somebody had been killed..

I did notice one thing though. They were all men, or grown up boys. I suppose the women were doing more sensible things like getting on with their lives, or more important and productive things like looking after their children and vainly keeping the peace.

I should imagine, that if some other country invaided us and removed Blair, (lets be honest, we would all be celebrating for that one :D ) we would be happy, until we realised our own countries wealth had / was being pillaged right before our eyes, partly be rogue 'natives' but the real hot stuff by the invaiding forces (private western companies), and much of the freedom / security promised by our invaders was not materialising, I should not be suprised if some of our people reacted in the same way.

hey did anyone else notice the rather large and obvious edit made to the bit where our soldiers had just finnished firing in the air? - I am not particulary making an issue of it but it did look a little suspect in my opinion!

The women were putting the rocket launcher down.

WMFH

It might be that it is a muslim country?? One where only last week a female tv journalist was stopped after broadcasting news, stripped bare (a terribly shameful act), beaten, had her arms and eyes drilled, then had her throat cut just enough to give her a very slow and painful death. Apparently her attacker stood on her chest to squeeze the blood out. Her cameraman and sound man where shot out of hand. Iraq, like Iran was once a liberal country, with a large intelligent middle class, women were given considerable freedoms and wore more 'westernised' dress. Now, the safest thing is to cover up for fear of attack.

Given this repressive atmosphere, would you have been out 'celebrating'?

WMFH

It might be that it is a muslim country?? One where only last week a female tv journalist was stopped after broadcasting news, stripped bare (a terribly shameful act), beaten, had her arms and eyes drilled, then had her throat cut just enough to give her a very slow and painful death. Apparently her attacker stood on her chest to squeeze the blood out. Her cameraman and sound man where shot out of hand. Iraq, like Iran was once a liberal country, with a large intelligent middle class, women were given considerable freedoms and wore more 'westernised' dress. Now, the safest thing is to cover up for fear of attack.

Given this repressive atmosphere, would you have been out 'celebrating'?

That's a shocking story I knew Nothing about.

My point here 2112 is `Stupid men' Although I am a man myself I really think our ego's and immaturity is the cause of a lot of trouble.

Having seen John Snow's prog last night I feel certain that all we get to see or hear about Iraq is:

1 ) coalition doing a good job

2 ) iraqis want us there

3 ) anyone who disagrees with 1 ) or 2 ) deserves everything they get and must be terrorists and murderers and blood thirsty.

Folks might want to mentally adjust the news they receive from papers and tv in light of the above.

Having seen John Snow's prog last night I feel certain that all we get to see or hear about Iraq is:

2 ) iraqis want us there

3 ) anyone who disagrees with 1 ) or 2 ) deserves everything they get and must be terrorists and murderers and blood thirsty.

Folks might want to mentally adjust the news they receive from papers and tv in light of the above.

i watched that last night too. very shocking and saddening.

Guest Guy_Montag

2 ) iraqis want us there

Funny thing is, I have never got that impression. Mind you I mostly watch Channel 4 News.