House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

New Poll How Do You Live?

Happily renting here in Hampshire whilst prices are slowly falling. (str'd 2003).

Own home in France - chucking money at it whilst values fall - but - happy :)

Was at number 2 but that came to an end a few weeks ago so number 1 until I can find something that I feel is an ok deal (or until it becomes unbearable - it's not actually that bad TBH).

Was at number 2 but that came to an end a few weeks ago so number 1 until I can find something that I feel is an ok deal (or until it becomes unbearable - it's not actually that bad TBH).

I have a resident LL who seems a good bloke another house mate and a labrador living with me. Costs 200pcm which is very cheap for bristol. The bonus is the lack of bills or council tax.

Na thats a lie. The real bonus is the dog, he is great :)

The real bonus is the dog, he is great :)

Also something I'm enjoying about being back home (it's a labradoodle though so feel a bit of a ponce when out walking him)

Guest Bart of Darkness

No. 5. Saves a fair bit of money over renting privately.

Thats a frickin crazy dog put up a picture :D

Should be in my avatar if it's updated.

No. 5. Saves a fair bit of money over renting privately.

We need more quality council properties for working people, don't you think?

I will never understand why we do not have more. What were they thinking in selling them off in the first place?

Algor: Cool pooch. I want a ridgeback when I grow up.

Guest Bart of Darkness

More council properties in general. I've not got the huge antipathy towards BTL that many people on here have, but they are filling in the role of social housing that council houses used to meet, but for profit, not for the good of the community. Subsidising BTL accomodation for those on benefits or the low paid seems to me to be less efficient or economical than building new, decent homes for them to live in.

Having said that, 3 out the 6 flats in my block are empty, one for over 18 months, leading to speculation that the council plan to demolish at least some of the flats on this estate rather than bring them up to the "Decent Homes" standard.

Interesting times.

I've gone for number 5 because that was the closest thing to our circumstances. Our home is part of a street of properties provided for ex-servicemen and women. It's a Housing Association of sorts.

More council properties in general. I've not got the huge antipathy towards BTL that many people on here have, but they are filling in the role of social housing that council houses used to meet, but for profit, not for the good of the community. Subsidising BTL accomodation for those on benefits or the low paid seems to me to be less efficient or economical than building new, decent homes for them to live in.

Having said that, 3 out the 6 flats in my block are empty, one for over 18 months, leading to speculation that the council plan to demolish at least some of the flats on this estate rather than bring them up to the "Decent Homes" standard.

Interesting times.

BTL properties serve a purpose, but we do need more social housing/co-operatives. Paying rent not a problem but a least you have the security that you are not kicked out in 6 months time. A friend of mine that lives in co-operative housing was interviewed by the other tenants before he got his accommodation the rent is fair and it is his for life, he can even leave it to his next of kin.

Guest Bart of Darkness
BTL properties serve a purpose

I would agree with that, there should be a decent spread of options open to renters. at the moment the choices seem to have narrowed somewhat compared to when I first started renting.

I would agree with that, there should be a decent spread of options open to renters. at the moment the choices seem to have narrowed somewhat compared to when I first started renting.

Looking at the results of the poll so far, looks like most members are renters, which doesn't surprise me, but am somewhat dissapointed that more homeowners are not members and would also welcome a drop in prices.

Yes we do need more options for renters, as there are many who do not wish to purchase at the moment for obvious reasons, but would like to rent longer term without the thought that they could be asked to leave on the whim of the landlord.

Guest Guy_Montag

Had to go for no formal rent agreement but we have accommodation provided by our employers (for free).

Do tell.

Mortgage has about 4 years to run ,almost living for free really, could easily afford IR to double.

However area is rough, but there's no way I want to take on a massive mortgage to go up in area or size atm. So I'll just sit where I am, add extra locks to the doors (ala last recession,when they can't borrow cheap for stuff they 'nick'it ) and hope it all passes me by without unemployment knocking at my door. Or the whole world economy going BOOM!

Guest Shedfish

renting a big (3 bed) flat in a slightly crap area, for just over half what it would cost to buy an entry level house. if the scenery bothers me i go for a drive. inertia probably means i'll be here until i buy, unless prices start rising again.. in which case i'll find a nice rental in the sticks and sit it out some more