House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wuluf

Immigration

The article also "concedes that the recent inflow has been accompanied by a rise in unemployment." Does this put paid to the far-right myth that immigrants nick our jobs?

Also, what is the net benefit to Britain of that reduction in IR - even if it is "thanks" to immigrants?

Surely it confirms the "myth"?

Off topic I suspect though...

We are on the crest of a new immigration wave

Of course we were told that immigration from the accession countries would be 13,000 per year... in fact over 300k have come so far.

The economic benefit to Brits has been minimal (see migration watch for in depth analysis)... negative if you take into account quality of life and environmental issues such as congestion, polution etc.

"Immigration into Britain has reduced interest rates by half a percentage point, and will grow to one percentage point, according to analysis from The Ernst & Young Item club."

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/2006/04/-...rce=es-06-may-5

Leaving aside immigration as the cause, why is this reduction in interest rates seen as a good thing?

It's very similar to touting ever increasing house prices as a good thing. It is not.

What we need are equilibrious IR and HPI.

NDL

"Immigration into Britain has reduced interest rates by half a percentage point, and will grow to one percentage point, according to analysis from The Ernst & Young Item club."

We covered that report a couple of weeks ago (in a number of threads), e.g.;

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=28519

Did Ernst & Young factor in the economic cost of the 10,000+ foreign nationals in UK prisons ? That's roughly 12% of the UK prison population. Think about insurance, policing, legal fees, imprisonment costs etc. etc. Can't be insignificant.

As the borders go down all over Europe, it is obvious that people are going to migrate from the poorer

countries to the richer to work. The UK is got to be high on the list of places to go to as it is rich, has welfare,

free health care and speak english which is the superlanguage nowadays.

It is good for the economy, especially when Europe becomes a superpower with a currency that can compete

with the dollar.

There are going to be winners and losers, the educated, skilled workers will be considered as core workers

with job security and very good pay and conditions. The uneducated, low or unskilled workers will have to survive on minimum wages or worse, little job security etc, immigration has and will continue to drive wages down.

Indegeonous workers will reject these low paid jobs as it will not be enough to live on and go unemployed.

Unemployment will continue to rise as it is doing and then the government will reduce welfare to force people back into the labour market. So low or unskilled indegeonous workers will be forced to work for minimum wage or worse, like it or not.

Europe will be no place to be low or unskilled, poorly educated you will live a life resembling Victorian times. There will also be an underclass, already is.

How this affects housing I dont know, I am trying not to think about it.

So if you are in the core worker group you will be happy, if in the periphery workers group you will not,

the core group will see no need for unions, the periphery group will need unions to try and improve their wages

and conditions but it will be very difficult as they are resisting strong market forces and quite frankly the

core worker group wont give a toss about them.

With increasing technology and division of labour the core group will get smaller and smaller the periphery

group bigger and bigger. Only when you pass from the core group into the periphery group will you notice and care.

But then I could be wrong.

Of course we were told that immigration from the accession countries would be 13,000 per year... in fact over 300k have come so far.

The economic benefit to Brits has been minimal (see migration watch for in depth analysis)... negative if you take into account quality of life and environmental issues such as congestion, polution etc.

3/4 of the reason for immigration historically, is to take the jobs that the internal population is now too posh to want... and their have become more and more of those as the internal population becomes "middle class". This country has also, for the past 10 years had historically low unemployment rates, as well as IRs so there has been a neccessity in terms of Britians own interests, to find unskilled employees from futher afield. It is likely that a significant rise in unemployment would see a significant fall in voluntary low skilled immigration... but oh, I forgot, this social democratic government has no intention whatsoever of enforcing the minimum wage for illegal foreigners. Having it there is enough to pretend to care about the low paid.

Immigration is also used to meet the training needs that the government does not want to meet internally by other means. So for instance, we nick Drs and Nurses from extremely poor countries, because this extremely rich country can't be bothered to pay for our own. Have you seen nurses wages lately. Actually nurses are one of the skilled groups that are so low paid in relation to the cost of living in this country (including HPI) that they may as well be classified as unskilled for the purposes of this post. And have you noticed how many of your kids are being taught by Australians and New Zealanders?

Basically if the country is too selfish (not the case in Britian - we have very high taxes) or the government too self-serving to invest in what matters, but has the sort of economy to deliver gross financial wealth this will go on.

There was an amusing comment made by the head ambulance chaser from Amnesty International. They were attacking the deportation idea for anyone convicted of an imprisonable offence saying: It's descriminatory as UK citizens are just as likely to commit a similar offence.

Which would surely mean 1 in 8 of our population are foreign nationals! :lol:

Ooh maybe 1 in 8 are?? <_<

It is likely that a significant rise in unemployment would see a significant fall in voluntary low skilled immigration... but oh, I forgot, this social democratic government has no intention whatsoever of enforcing the minimum wage for illegal foreigners. Having it there is enough to pretend to care about the low paid.

Elizabeth don't understand this bit. How can a government promise illegal immigrants a minimum wage

It is likely that a significant rise in unemployment would see a significant fall in voluntary low skilled immigration... but oh, I forgot, this social democratic government has no intention whatsoever of enforcing the minimum wage for illegal foreigners. Having it there is enough to pretend to care about the low paid.

Elizabeth don't understand this bit. How can a government promise illegal immigrants a minimum wage

They do it in America by splitting the powers between state and federal with the state collecting the taxes and the illegal getting an National Security number! They could also enforce minimum wages on the companies that could be paid to the illegal before they were deported! and fine the companies in a way that make a genuine deterent for hiring illegally, and ... there are lots of ways to do it....

The point is you have to want to. Either decide that you need to the people that are here illegally for the economy or do something to deport them. They don't want to do either. They don't want to anymore than they want to tackle organised crime and people trafficking leading to prostitution. Eastern European women are now the backbone of the prostitution industry that has become too nasty for 'our' girls as they socially climbed into the middle classes. Who cares if those women are effectively sex slaves? Somebody has got to do it.

They don't want to acknowledge the problem because the problem serves VIs in the economy who would not be well pleased and would rather pay for peerages.

Edited by Elizabeth

The article also "concedes that the recent inflow has been accompanied by a rise in unemployment." Does this put paid to the far-right myth that immigrants nick our jobs?

Also, what is the net benefit to Britain of that reduction in IR - even if it is "thanks" to immigrants?

The 'benefit' low rates have brought have been massive debt levels and unaffordable housing for anyone not on the ladder before prices went silly.

As for housing, its laughable to suggest population growth of several million resulting from immigration will not impact housing.

Edited by simon99

What's really piss me off is that you usually forget about emmigration and what it is doing to this counry and to the others :ph34r: . It looks like it's OK to move somewhere, but it's unxceptable when others come into the country. don't forget thous who moved out they have taken money but not property.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3770071.stm

Regards. :angry:

Edited by null_nil

Vastly more people are immigrating than emmigrating. I suspect that many of those who emmigrate are doing so because they're becoming disillusioned with the way the UK is heading and the expense of the place.

As for housing, its laughable to suggest population growth of several million resulting from immigration will not impact housing.

Houses are being bought by BTL landlords to rent to the immigrants, but there is a economic imbalance here,

the immigrants are on minimum wage or worse, house prices are high, rent also has to be high to cover mortgage and provide a yield. So cram as many people into house and they can afford it if they split the rent,

but new HMO regulations will put a limit on this. Also I understand jobs for immigrants are already not as plentyful as before, but even in the area of Northamptonshire workhouses I mean wharehouses are being knocked up as quickly as possible and 1000s of jobs are being created to cash in on this new cheap source of labour.

The only way to buy property now with the intention of letting to immigrants and make it pay is to buy

BMV. So landlords are snapping up the cheap distressed sellers, repossesed properties for this purpose.

Will this keep house prices up or drive them down, I dont know!

Will this keep house prices up or drive them down, I dont know!

Will population growth of several million keep house prices up? Well it's not going to help them come down is it?

Only Britain and 2 other countries in the EU have allowed this new wave of immigration. Germany, Italy, France etc are protecting their workforces.

England has a long history of importing cheap labour... it benefits "business" (ie, those reaping the profits) but the consequences for society are plain for all to see.

I wonder if the knee-jerk lefties will ever realise that their pavlovian response of screaming "racist" whenever this is pointed out has been conditioned into them by social engineering?

"3/4 of the reason for immigration historically, is to take the jobs that the internal population is now too posh to want... "

Total rubish and immigrants are not only taking jobs but forceing wages down

For once we have more people voting BNP that immgrants in the country if you beleive what we are told about the numbers involved.

A good old recession and people protesting about jobs will soon put paid to the current flood we are getting

The article also "concedes that the recent inflow has been accompanied by a rise in unemployment."

You mean 'employment' not 'unemployment', don't you.

p

"3/4 of the reason for immigration historically, is to take the jobs that the internal population is now too posh to want... "

Total rubish and immigrants are not only taking jobs but forceing wages down

For once we have more people voting BNP that immgrants in the country if you beleive what we are told about the numbers involved.

A good old recession and people protesting about jobs will soon put paid to the current flood we are getting

Ah. Your obviously no great fan of history. Who do you think washes the plates in the West End?

Its only when immigrants start taking up jobs demand that can be met internally and hence forcing wages down that anyone complains. During periods of low UMP people vote whatever they vote. As well, nobody ever wins an election, governments lose. That is a staple of any system. In the case of an economic recession that people punish government for what they were very happy about when it was working for them (and, having paid 70 quid to get an emergency locksmith who did a terrible job and cost me more for a fix up as well than if I just pushed the door very hard (which he explained to me only after completely hacking my door frame), I have got to say, roll on the polish locksmiths!)

Your mate celtic scot or whoever he is had a far better argument in the business of pressure on urban environment, although Buying Bear would see him off like a flash with a far better understanding of the middle and upper class nimby issues that prevent the working class attain decent housing in well designed environments through impediments to urban and rural development and contribute to house price rises that lock out decent honest hard working people of all cultures, races including but not limited to working class white british.

You mean 'employment' not 'unemployment', don't you.

p

If you take off the nu-labour goggles, you'll realise that both employment and unemployment have been rising. You can see, or rather hear this all round Cambridge, which is rapidly becoming Lesser Warsaw on the Cam.

There is NO economic argument for mass imigration.

The benefits to those already are minimal and more than offset by by the increased costs!

So the only argument that can be made for mass immigraton are along the lines of "enrichment" or our moral duty to take in "vulnerable" asylum seekers.

The other more sinister reason has been voiced recently by John Cruddas MP...

But this was the surprise. Labour, far from being traumatised in Barking & Dagenham, seems to have taken heart from the campaign. The party suffered only three net losses on the council (the Lib Dems and Independents were wiped out and the Tories reduced from two seats to one) and many of their new councillors, Mr Cruddas said, were young, dynamic and determined. He said that with hard work, more social housing, and demographics, the BNP could be neutralised.

Think about what he is quite brazenly admitting to here... labour can win by demographics...

What's really piss me off is that you usually forget about emmigration and what it is doing to this counry and to the others :ph34r: . It looks like it's OK to move somewhere, but it's unxceptable when others come into the country. don't forget thous who moved out they have taken money but not property.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3770071.stm

Regards. :angry:

Just goes to show that there are idiots on both sides of the argument..

I think you need to read my post again..

- CC

Anyone remember auf wiedersehen pet? About english builders working in Germany? It kinda goes in cycles........