House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Another 2000 Looking For New Jobs

Mobile phone operator Orange is planning to cut between 1,800 and 2,000 UK jobs in a drive to reduce costs.

Orange

Private companies are now laying people off at an alarming rate. The cost of doing business in the UK has just become too much. Council tax is bad enough but this is chicken feed compared to Business rates. UK businesses have some of the highest energy costs in the world (much of which is tax). The government is also finding endless ways of charging companies for services they have already paid for. If you have a pile of manure on your land you have to pay a **** tax. If you want to store a chemical on your site, you have to pay the HSE huge sums of money to assess the plans. And if the tax problems havn't broken your back, then the armfuls of new pc regulations certainly will.

Many think that the path to prosperity lies in getting the biggest mortgage they can afford and waiting for their house price to rise. The naievity of this approach makes one want to weep.

Orange

Private companies are now laying people off at an alarming rate. The cost of doing business in the UK has just become too much. Council tax is bad enough but this is chicken feed compared to Business rates. UK businesses have some of the highest energy costs in the world (much of which is tax). The government is also finding endless ways of charging companies for services they have already paid for. If you have a pile of manure on your land you have to pay a **** tax. If you want to store a chemical on your site, you have to pay the HSE huge sums of money to assess the plans. And if the tax problems havn't broken your back, then the armfuls of new pc regulations certainly will.

Many think that the path to prosperity lies in getting the biggest mortgage they can afford and waiting for their house price to rise. The naievity of this approach makes one want to weep.

I don't know how much you know about international M&A and how expensice it is to lay off people in parts of Europe. We are cheaply expendable compared to the French or the Spanish or the Germans - I think it's them that needs to change to be flexible, not us to cause employers more problems... - always on the cards.

I understand NTL have just announced 6000 job losses in a re-structuring programme following merger with Telewest/Virgin. I guess mostly call centre but no doubt some (high tax reciept) management/IT jobs too.

Ouch!

Edited figure following fudges 'beat-me-to-it' post :-)

Edited by BTLOptingOut

I don't know how much you know about international M&A and how expensice it is to lay off people in parts of Europe. We are cheaply expendable compared to the French or the Spanish or the Germans - I think it's them that needs to change to be flexible, not us to cause employers more problems... - always on the cards.

I agree with your observation.

I would say however that the continentals are more consistant with their red tape. They create disincentives for recruiting and laying people off. The UK only creates disincentives for recruiting people (in the form of tax and red tape). We have ended up with the worst of all worlds.

Edited by dog

I understand NTL have just announced 6000 job losses in a re-structuring programme following merger with Telewest/Virgin. I guess mostly call centre but no doubt some (high tax reciept) management/IT jobs too.

Ouch!

Edited figure following fudges 'beat-me-to-it' post :-)

I'm saying nothing about this one, client confid and all that ... :)

Baa 2000 job lost thats nothing

NTL takes axe to 6,000 jobs

Blimey, being offshored. Can't be much of a surprise, after the merger. Interesting to find out when my employer offshored 40% of its staff, most volunteered and couldn't wait to get out of the door. In fact I was the same when I used to work for my previous employer.

Also worth noting that many of these jobs will be reduced over a period of years (ICI reckon most will be from overseas), so if their employees are smart, they can come out of it quids in.

:)

And so it begins.

Interesting how so many different sectors are getting thrashed, while banking and related IT are booming though.

The banks are certainly doing well. They are paying no interest on current accounts, they pay 3.5% on savings accounts and charge customers anything between 8 and 20% to borrow the money. They all seem to be as bad as each other. The Banking Sector needs a Freddie Laker.