House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

Rural Fire Stations At Risk Of Closure As Staff Can't Afford Rural Property.

It's bad when even firemen can't get on the ladder.

Thats so bad, its actually funny. :lol:

I wonder if Mr Alan Taylor is a member of HPC?

Jeff, I knicked your remark to put it in the blog.

Owning a second home in some village full of angry torching toting locals isn't nice at the best of times... but combined with the absence of a local fire station :o

Many parts of the country are just turning into ghost towns, many coastal towns can't man a full life boat anymore. Then said second home owners get pissed off when all the young people from these dying towns decide to move to London, "we're full, not enough water, the roads are grid locked... go to the north and get out my way".

Edited by BuyingBear

In a report to the fire authority he hits out at what he describes as a “country obsessed with property ownership”. He warns: “Rural towns and villages across Shropshire are fast becoming ghettos for either the very rich or the very poor.”

This chap is spot on. If you're not prepared to make yourself as hoplesss as you can in order to qualify for the feeble dregs of social housing provision, you need to have a higher than average salary to simply live as well as many benefits claiments.

Speculation must stop. Social housing must be built so normal working people don't have to pay brutal rents, suicidal mortgages or live in slummy shared housing.

Fire-Persons don't do that badly for pay either.

When I was an Apprentice a few of my classmates left the trade after their apprenticeship and joined the fire service.

A few years after they seemed to rake it in, A sparky or Plumber might get £21-25K (At todays rates) but the fire-persons would get al least £25-30K for 4 day, 9 hour shifts with indexed linked pensions, BUPA cover and other benefits.

They'd also being trained in a trade (Listen to your grandad; Get a trade first, It really is worth it.) They would work on their off days (which are considerable) and earn 10 t0 20K on the side.

It's not unusual for a Fire-Person to clear £40-50 on and off the books.

So if they are struggling god help the rest of us.

I've googled some ol links.

Old Article but shold EU comparisons

Old Stuff again, Relating to pay increases.

QUOTE:

Fire stations in Shropshire could be forced to close because firefighters
cannot afford homes in rural areas,
it was claimed today

I fail to see the problem. Why don't the fireman just move to a city, London, Bath, Cambridge etc? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

These news reports make me think two things.

First, what happened to that law about councils being able to enter empty houses and rent them out. Could this be used for firefighters and other key workers. A few years of low or no rent and even nurses would have been able to save a fair amount of money.

Secondly, will this be the trigger to get planning permission for low cost houses to be built over and above the objections of NIMBYs.

Council: We need to give planning permission for a whole lot of new houses

NIMBYs: NOOOO WE WOULD RATHER DIE FIRST. WE SHALL NOT WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED. WE SHALL NOT WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED.

Council: By the way, we're closing down the Fire Station.

NIMBYs: ARRGGHHH GNASH GNASH WE NEED FIRE STATIONS. SAVE THE FIRE STATION. LET'S ALL CHAIN OURSELVES TO THE FIRE ENGINE TO SAVE OUR FIRE STATION. WE SHALL NOT WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED. WE SHALL NOT WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED.

Council: Ok then, but we can't recruit firefighters because they can't afford to live here. And they can't afford to live here unless we build more houses. So what do you suggest?

Billy Shears

I suggest the the 3rd home owners get off the F***** BACK SIDES AND STOP LIVING OFF THE EQUITY AND GET BACK TO WORK - WHY CANT THEY RUN THE FLAMMING FIRESTATION?????

Edited by notanewmember

When a government, through its economic policies, allows essential services to be priced out of operation those who facilitated such policies should be removed from office for the sake of public safety.

How much longer can Gordon keep playing the Wizard of UK role before the sheeple realize that the "Miracle" is just p*ss and wind? Or did they wake up last Thursday and TB has not responded by shuffling the Miracle Worker somewhere else where he cannot harm the economy any further?

Secondly, will this be the trigger to get planning permission for low cost houses to be built over and above the objections of NIMBYs.

Council: We need to give planning permission for a whole lot of new houses

Err... one problem, more often than not these councils are run by nimbies, they are one of the same, especially so in rural areas.

These firemen are so unimaginative. They could just buy a flat in an area they can afford and commute to work: I'm sure a two-hour travel time won't cause any problems when there's a fire.

the solution for the residents is to fit automated sprinkler systems.

But youre screwed if you are in a car crash or need your cat to be helped down from the tree

Yes people forget, firefighters do other useful jobs until they are needed.

Oh dont forget if you ever get stuck in your house because you are too obese to fit through the door too - who comes to the rescue????

Edited by notanewmember

Err... one problem, more often than not these councils are run by nimbies, they are one of the same, especially so in rural areas.

Interesting point. Perhaps the government could introduce something to push things along. How about if councils and councillors personally responsible for meeting minimum standards. Not enough firefighters hired and they get fined. That'd make them start thinking about problems.

Billy Shears

Interesting point. Perhaps the government could introduce something to push things along. How about if councils and councillors personally responsible for meeting minimum standards.

It's under the auspices of the ODPM, which speaks for itself, hence one of the reasons we're in this mess.

I'm sure they will build some 3 story, micro keyworker flats in rural paradise... and talk about the great leap forward and expect thanks and praise from the firemen who they forced into sh!tty little flats just so that they had no excuse not to turn up at work.

LIVE

WORK

DIE

KEYWORKER FLATS SHALL SET YOU FREE.

My brother was a Retained (part time) Fireman for about 20 years.

Well, all those under 50 NIMBYS and "We've a looooverly little holiday cottage in the country" types will have to get off their so cultured derrieres and learn the art of hose management amongst other things.

Oh yes and, as my brother had to do on many occassions, cut metal to remove dead bodies from crashed cars.

I fail to see the problem. Why don't the fireman just move to a city, London, Bath, Cambridge etc? [Realistbear]

What a great idea. They could become fire consultants who monitor fires on CCTV and offer advice via a helpline: Get out, Stay out, Call your insurance company out. Just think of the savings in equipment and training. However, they would still need to be trained on how to sit in reclining chairs.

I fail to see the problem. Why don't the fireman just move to a city, London, Bath, Cambridge etc? [Realistbear]

What a great idea. They could become fire consultants who monitor fires on CCTV and offer advice via a helpline: Get out, Stay out, Call your insurance company out. Just think of the savings in equipment and training. However, they would still need to be trained on how to sit in reclining chairs.

Quite, the NHS Direct model is definitely the future of fire safety "ok then sir, your house is burning down to the ground... I've booked in an appointment for a week next Tuesday, is afternoon ok for you sir? You need to call again on Friday as this helps us hit our '48 hour' response targets. Please do ensure you're in the house when we call, often we arrive to find nobody or nothing there, damn hoaxers"

Edited by BuyingBear

Quite, the NHS Direct model is definitely the future of fire safety "ok then sir, your house is burning down to the ground... I've booked in an appointment for a week next Tuesday, is afternoon ok for you sir? You need to call again on Friday as this helps us hit our '48 hour' response targets. Please do ensure you're in the house when we call, often we arrive to find nobody or nothing there, damn hoaxers"

:lol::lol::lol: