House Price Crash Forum
Webmaster

Announcement: New Improved News Blog

We've rolled out a new news Blog that allows you all to post to the Blog. After posting, we'll manually approve them before they go live but this should mean that we have a good flow of news all day from everyone.

Just follow the link from the homepage and let us know how you get on by replying to this thread, or add a news blog article.

Well, I've had a go but I'm not sure I did it right...?

The page clears itself when you go off to check data, do we need the http bit in the address bar as c+ping it direct from the original page gives us this anyway? And also, by author, do you mean me or the original author of the article?

Hi Libitina,

Yeah, you did it right but I might have found a bug. Would it be possible for you to add this one again.

The author name is your name or forum name but you're right I reckon we should make this clearer.

OK, I'll maybe try it again later on as I have to go out shortly. I've put it on this forum anyway. It's not all that earthshattering, I just wanted to have a go on the blog. :)

We've rolled out a new news Blog that allows you all to post to the Blog. After posting, we'll manually approve them before they go live but this should mean that we have a good flow of news all day from everyone.

Just follow the link from the homepage and let us know how you get on by replying to this thread, or add a news blog article.

I've been meaning to comment on how much better the blog has been recently, particularly since I complained about it a while back.

Thanks. :)

Is approval required for commenting on articles and adding new articles?

The old blog seemed to work quite well I'm just curious as to why an approval system is required.

Cheers and good work

Denzil

Edited by Denzil

The old system was run by Blogger and you had to have a Blogger account in order to post. We ditched Blogger because the service wasn't very reliable and also we needed something customised for adding news articles.

We are looking into some form of authentication for comments which might remove the need for moderation. If we take the moderation off then it's inevitable that we'll be spammed with all sorts of comments.

If we take the moderation off then it's inevitable that we'll be spammed with all sorts of comments.

Agreed!

One could apply that argument to the forums here too. Allowing anonymous postings as in the old days

should of course be avoided.

Some of the comments in the blog are noise but I would be concerned with a system that had too much exclusivity to opinions that only fitted with the general consensus. Such a system could have undertones of "cult" mentality.

Again, excellent work! I am a big fan of the blog and the balanced nature of articles and opinion that it has provided.

That's the idea! Hopefully it will become an even better filtered source of information for hand picked related news articles. I notice loads of stories on the forum that we've missed so this should solve that problem.

We are also looking at adding a discreet news blog ticker to the top of the forum page so that you can see the new news articles without having to click on the News Blog page or homepage.

Looks like things are moving forward Webmaster. The blogger certainly looks better and as people have commented, it gives another twist on the same press release. I did mention this in a suggestion session.

One question: I cant seem to see the archive section of the blogger? Are we starting from scratch because the 'blogger' software cannot port it across? Unfortunately, 2 days news does not make a trend :)

TB

One question: I cant seem to see the archive section of the blogger? Are we starting from scratch because the 'blogger' software cannot port it across? Unfortunately, 2 days news does not make a trend

Here's the archive page:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/newsblog/archive/index.php

You can access it from a link at the bottom of the main blog page.

Just a minor typo on the archive page - the title reads "Arichive"

Also would it be useful to have a link to "add a news blog article" to the main blog page, not just the home page?

Regards

BP

Edited by Being_Patient

You go to the homepage then click on the text link "Add a News Blog Article" which is underneath the blog scroller window. Then you fill in the form and click the "Add Article" button. The post will then go live after it has been approved.

You go to the homepage then click on the text link "Add a News Blog Article" which is underneath the blog scroller window. Then you fill in the form and click the "Add Article" button. The post will then go live after it has been approved.

Thanks for that! (learning all the time...) B)

Hi Libitina,

Yeah, you did it right but I might have found a bug. Would it be possible for you to add this one again.

The author name is your name or forum name but you're right I reckon we should make this clearer.

Managed to get it back in the end but need to get that bug fixed.

I put in 2 news items earlier this morning and they're still not there. Do you not have anyone modding it on a Sunday? Or were they out on the lash last night? ;)