House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamconfusedagain

I Just Bought A New Toy

In a moment of weakness I just bought one of these. I am so excited I could pee myself. Ok maybe its not that amazing but I dont do shopping that often, I could get adicted you know.

It only has one gear though :o

inbred.JPG

post-2255-1146854204.jpg

In a moment of weakness I just bought one of these. I am so excited I could pee myself. Ok maybe its not that amazing but I dont do shopping that often, I could get adicted you know.

inbred.JPG

Why only one gear?

Why only one gear?

Apparently there are a whole host of spiritual reasons for owning a single speed bike. If you search "singlespeed" there are whole sites dedicated to their loveliness.

A singlespeed can be really light (although not in the case of my steel brute). There are no shifters casette, deraliers and only 1 chain ring.

This also means minimal maintainence which is a big plus for me.

They are also less likely to get nicked, as they are not so appealing to most people (you have to be mad to want 1 gear)

Also they make you strong (but maybe a bit slow!)

You've inspired me.

Is that a "kona unit" in the picture? (Its seems to say "kona one!" or "kona onei" on the frame.)

Oh it is the famous "On-one Inbred"

lovely bikes yum yum

British company although frames are done in Taiwan or somewhere like that.

Depending on your taste/budget there is also www.cotic.co.uk and www.dialledbikes.com for more lovely steel (and titanium if you are rich) frames.

inbred.JPG

Well done on your choice. B) I too have been looking into purchasing a single speed mountain bike to boss about the city in this summer but am having trouble finding a suitable frame. What type have you just bought? I have looked at Surely ones so far. Did you order it online and/or do you know of any good websites. Personally I am looking into single speed because it will primarily be used in the city and would rather spend the extra cash on a good quality light frame than a load of gears I would hardly ever use. This is in addition to its ease of maintenance of course. :)

I've got a 27 gear Speciaized mountain bike. Nice and light, but all those gears are a pain.

I'd rather have 5 gears with a extra low, low, medium, high and extra high gears.

Guest Guy_Montag

I've got a 27 gear Speciaized mountain bike. Nice and light, but all those gears are a pain.

I'd rather have 5 gears with a extra low, low, medium, high and extra high gears.

I sympathise, I have 18 speed or possibly 21, but I only use 5 gears. When I lived in Cambridge, I was tempted to get a single speed, but there's too many bumps up north.

Anyway, what are you doing spending money on bikes, it's because of your reckless spending that you can't afford a house. :P

Anyway, what are you doing spending money on bikes, it's because of your reckless spending that you can't afford a house. :P

I know. I live on baked beans and yet find the money to sped £££££££££££££££££££££££ on mtbs.

I have:

Specialized stumpjumper disk with extra bits

Cannondale badboy ultra

Kona scab

Mongrel self build

On one (on the way)

At least I dont have a car. (I will be selling 2 of them as well)

inbred.JPG

Looks like a girls bike to me, shouldn`t it have a basket on the front? :D

Limpet

Limpet

i was thinking stabalizers myself. :lol:

Well done on your choice. B) I too have been looking into purchasing a single speed mountain bike to boss about the city in this summer but am having trouble finding a suitable frame. What type have you just bought? I have looked at Surely ones so far. Did you order it online and/or do you know of any good websites. Personally I am looking into single speed because it will primarily be used in the city and would rather spend the extra cash on a good quality light frame than a load of gears I would hardly ever use. This is in addition to its ease of maintenance of course. :)

Dear, oh dear, oh dear <_<

Limpet

I bought it when I was in my early 20's (24 ;) ) and an irresponsible spend spend want it all now person.

Now I'm in my 30's I save save and must make sacrifices blah blah! :)

Limpet

nar - this is a girls bike :)

m2383_05tk6700wsd.jpg

I know. I live on baked beans and yet find the money to sped £££££££££££££££££££££££ on mtbs.

I have:

Specialized stumpjumper disk with extra bits

Cannondale badboy ultra

Kona scab

Mongrel self build

On one (on the way)

At least I dont have a car. (I will be selling 2 of them as well)

I only have a Cannondale. Where do you store them all?

Where do you store them all?

That is kind of a problem! I have no real solution to this. Some at work, a couple at my folks house at the mo :( need to by a big chain and padlock for the ones at my place, ******* chavs everywhere :angry:

Limpet- this is a girls bike :)

cove.jpg

post-2255-1147158014.jpg

Cool, a few other single speed riders :D

I order my new fixed road bike on Saturday, get to pick it up today - assume I can get out of work in time. (The Langster)

I was close to getting a on-one, but really don't like the colour of the pompino frame. The LBS think I'm crazy losing the free-wheel and converting to fully fixed :P

So when is the HPC? (house Price Cycle)

If it's hilly I'll be bringing my Carbon forked Trek, unless I managed to get one of these sexy Felt's. (Praying for the ride-2-work scheme to come to my company) ;)

06langster.jpg

feltb2.gif

post-1993-1147163255.jpg

post-1993-1147163646.gif

Cool, a few other single speed riders :D

I order my new fixed road bike on Saturday, get to pick it up today - assume I can get out of work in time. (The Langster)

I was close to getting a on-one, but really don't like the colour of the pompino frame. The LBS think I'm crazy losing the free-wheel and converting to fully fixed :P

So when is the HPC? (house Price Cycle)

If it's hilly I'll be bringing my Carbon forked Trek, unless I managed to at one of these sexy Felt's. (Praying for the ride-2-work scheme to come to my company) ;)

That felt looks a bit quick! Road bikes scare me, and the idea of a fixie is terrifying! Let us know how it goes I bet it takes a bit of practice.

My bike came through the post today, but it is miles away at my folks house so i will not get to ride it untill the 20th :(

I reckon we should sort out a ride in the summer

What's a fixie?

It's a single speed bike (i.e only one gear) with no free wheel.

If the bike is moving then the pedals always go round. It makes it possible to slow down by slowing your legs, or even ride backwards if you want. :blink:

Very old skool, but great for training leg strength. Feels different as there is no dead spot on the pedal stroke (12|6 oclock) due to the forwards movement forcing the pedals past that point.

They will take your ankles off tho if your lose contact with the pedals, and a bit of handful coming down hill as your legs end up spinning 200rpm :o

If you have every seen any bike racing in a velodrome, they are all fixed.

Guest Guy_Montag

It's a single speed bike (i.e only one gear) with no free wheel.

If the bike is moving then the pedals always go round. It makes it possible to slow down by slowing your legs, or even ride backwards if you want. :blink:

Very old skool, but great for training leg strength. Feels different as there is no dead spot on the pedal stroke (12|6 oclock) due to the forwards movement forcing the pedals past that point.

They will take your ankles off tho if your lose contact with the pedals, and a bit of handful coming down hill as your legs end up spinning 200rpm :o

If you have every seen any bike racing in a velodrome, they are all fixed.

Too hardcore for me! Crikey.

Whatever happened to backpedal breaking? Can you still find bikes with that?

That felt looks a bit quick! Road bikes scare me, and the idea of a fixie is terrifying! Let us know how it goes I bet it takes a bit of practice.

My bike came through the post today, but it is miles away at my folks house so i will not get to ride it untill the 20th :(

I reckon we should sort out a ride in the summer

Update: The fixed is a little bit strange, nearly ejected myself a few times when I forgot to pedal. But after the first 2 rides it all very natural. Tho I ride with clipless pedal and have already taught myself to pedal in cycles and spin - this defo helps.

Had a killer commute into work to day, averaging 20.4 mph - New PB!! :D so it's fast and it didn't feel like I was really trying. :P

Of course I crashed on the way home (Note: don't try and bunny hop a fixed!!), so a bit of sore knee and I think I'll take the road bike tomorrow (if I can walk!).