House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Bmp Voter Highlights The Importance Sentiment

Amazed to see ( on the Beeb )an ex-shop-steward, perma-labour-voter, citing his reasons for breaking the habit of a lifetime and voting BMP as "they [by which he meant anyone not white] bring down the price of houses."

Two things:

1 ) why is a lefty so worried about the price of houses (all property is, after all, theft :D );

2 ) has nobody explained to him the bull argument that it is BTL supporting house prices and that crowd are banking on ever increasing quantities of immigrants?

In light of 2, I propose a new universal law of causality : outside of empirically proven scientific laws, where the etiology of systems is less than perfectly understood, the presumed cause of any effect can almost ALWAYS be used to argue the case for an entirely opposite effect.

... which is why I have always pressed the case for considering sentiment ...

Amazed to see ( on the Beeb )an ex-shop-steward, perma-labour-voter, citing his reasons for breaking the habit of a lifetime and voting BMP as "they [by which he meant anyone not white] bring down the price of houses."

Two things:

1 ) why is a lefty so worried about the price of houses (all property is, after all, theft :D );

2 ) has nobody explained to him the bull argument that it is BTL supporting house prices and that crowd are banking on ever increasing quantities of immigrants?

In light of 2, I propose a new universal law of causality : outside of empirically proven scientific laws, where the etiology of systems is less than perfectly understood, the presumed cause of any effect can almost ALWAYS be used to argue the case for an entirely opposite effect.

What's BMP?

Guest Riser

One of the consequence of the looming house price crash will be increasing numbers of people in financial distress looking for someone to blame for their troubles. Recessions and the rise in popularity of extreme organisations go hand in hand cause and effect.

The worrying thing this time around is that things are only just getting going, what will it be like in three to four years from now when the only choice is an arrogant Scottish pr!ck or a jumped up public schoolboy.

Amazed to see ( on the Beeb )an ex-shop-steward, perma-labour-voter, citing his reasons for breaking the habit of a lifetime and voting BMP

Err... it was ITV.

The Beeb spent more time glamourising the BMP, BNP, or whatever the twits are called than talking about the fact that a few councils now have Greens as official opposition or a major force.

Why is the hard-right so sexy to the meejduh?

simple - sex sells

look at the newsreels from the 1930's - rows of stormtroopers parading around nuremberg, the ranks of people with arms outstreached "seig heiling" for all they were worth...

and the uniforms! the all black dress uniforms, the silver deaths head badges, the swastikas...

then look at the british tommy - rough khaki uniform and carrying sten guns knocked up out of bits of old pipe :(

i guess the nazis had the best tailors

until they killed all the jews <_<

Two things:

When 2 years or so ago they were considering building an asylum seekers camp near Bicester suddenly everyone want the BNP around as they figured it would cause Prescott to move the camp somewhere else and so stop local house prices going down the drain.

Obviously as you say its BTL keeping prices high throughout the country however on a local scale other influences come into play.

The Beeb spent more time glamourising the BMP, BNP, or whatever the twits are called than talking about the fact that a few councils now have Greens as official opposition or a major force.

If you want muesli and wind power, Cameron is your man. I'm afraid your tree-hugging beardies have had their day.

just sitting hear hanging out and saying nothing

That was such a thinly veiled racist statement. You should be ashamed of yourself.

One of the consequence of the looming house price crash will be increasing numbers of people in financial distress looking for someone to blame for their troubles. Recessions and the rise in popularity of extreme organisations go hand in hand cause and effect.

The worrying thing this time around is that things are only just getting going, what will it be like in three to four years from now when the only choice is an arrogant Scottish pr!ck or a jumped up public schoolboy.

Hi,

Unfotunately, hard economic times go hand in hand with the rise of social unrest and often the rise of facism. When were the hardest economic times in the recent British era? 1970's and 1980's. When were the worst cases of social, industrial and racial unrest in the recent British era? 1970's and 1980's. The penny may finally be begining to drop with many peopleabout HPI, that the vast majority are worse off because of it.

This will create more employment for Special Branch and for manufacturers of surveillance equipment.

No doubt the newly elected BNP councillors will will look over their shoulder and not let slip any rascist remarks within earshot of the listening devices.

simple - sex sells

look at the newsreels from the 1930's - rows of stormtroopers parading around nuremberg, the ranks of people with arms outstreached "seig heiling" for all they were worth...

and the uniforms! the all black dress uniforms, the silver deaths head badges, the swastikas...

then look at the british tommy - rough khaki uniform and carrying sten guns knocked up out of bits of old pipe :(

nope,IMAGE sells!!!!

...all the BNP has to do is bend the media so their ploy looks "cool" and the sheep will vote that way.

....to be frank all the BNP has to do is put up a few reasonably attractive folks in marginal seats for the general and people will be swayed.

..it worked for liebour,it's gonna work for the tories and if anybody comes up with the "X" FACTOR(no pun intended)...they will win!!!!

..gift of the gab will only get you so far......what people warm to is a pretty face....PERIOD!!!...sorry if it seems harsh but that's the basic mindset of people.....looks money or power(or perception thereof) will grant you "alpha" status....john prescott and david blunkett are my proof!!!

As a sort of related notey thing...

Last night on news24 they mentioned the BNP's successes and accompianied it with:

Protest vote or a threat to democracy?

Sorry?? Ohnoes..the proles aren't voting in line with the media intelligensia... They aren't thinking the way we do..its a break down of democracy!! I'm afraid if the people voted in Pol Pot, it would still be democracy.

<_<

And oh my god, what if its not a mere protest vote? What if people are so sick of something they don't actually vote how they "should" despite prevailing social conditioning. Surely not! They must all be mistaken..yes that's it..mass mistakenism...move along nothing to see here.

As per usual the racism/immigration issue is not discussed. Even the media balk at looking at why these things occur prefering instead to ignore or dissmiss it as an temporary aberration...

Obviously as you say its BTL keeping prices high throughout the country however on a local scale other influences come into play.

Thanks WR for being the sole thread contributor who actually stuck to the point I was making instead of criticing me for typos or disputing the channel or revamping the BNP theme.

I take your point about local vs national, and you were of course right to make this point. However, my view remains: effect and cause are tricky things to pin down in housing as in any market.

Taking your example, there is, for instance, no fundamental reason why asylum seekers should lower house prices locally. Indeed, people who seek political asylum are likely to be those who have stood up to despotic regimes because of their greater education and understanding of global human rights and civil liberties. Whilst their own governments may look upon them as trouble, we may well see them as heros and leaders, like Biko or Mandela. One could argue that such people raise the socio economic profile of a locality.

Indeed, if we knew the stories of legitimate asylum seekers we would almost certainly respect them and value them more than some grumbling old shop-steward (who was complaining about "these people" lowering hous prices). If you consider what some asylum seekers have been through, you may well find a stronger argument for valuing them more highly as neighbours than the Beckhams - and is it not a fact that David and his missus put 100s of thousands on property when they move to an area?

simple - sex sells

Springtime for Hitler and Germany

Deutschland is happy and gay!

We're marching to a faster pace

Look out, here comes the master race!

Rhineland's a fine land once more!

Watch out, Europe we're going on tour!

Guest Bart of Darkness

What's BMP?

Is it some sort of PC graphics format?

I'm afraid if the people voted in Pol Pot, it would still be democracy.

Until he abolished free elections, just like Hitler did, and Mussolini.

Thanks WR for being the sole thread contributor who actually stuck to the point I was making instead of criticing me for typos or disputing the channel or revamping the BNP theme.

I take your point about local vs national, and you were of course right to make this point. However, my view remains: effect and cause are tricky things to pin down in housing as in any market.

Taking your example, there is, for instance, no fundamental reason why asylum seekers should lower house prices locally. Indeed, people who seek political asylum are likely to be those who have stood up to despotic regimes because of their greater education and understanding of global human rights and civil liberties. Whilst their own governments may look upon them as trouble, we may well see them as heros and leaders, like Biko or Mandela. One could argue that such people raise the socio economic profile of a locality.

Indeed, if we knew the stories of legitimate asylum seekers we would almost certainly respect them and value them more than some grumbling old shop-steward (who was complaining about "these people" lowering hous prices). If you consider what some asylum seekers have been through, you may well find a stronger argument for valuing them more highly as neighbours than the Beckhams - and is it not a fact that David and his missus put 100s of thousands on property when they move to an area?

Problem is though most aren't genuine asylum seekers (unless they are fleeing persecution in France, Norway or Eire).

Nor do they go home when the political situation in there own country is resolved. Remember the Ugandan Asians? Still here even though their own country actually wants them back. Bosnians? Still here. Kosovan Albanians? Still here.

when I was a youngster, they were called refugees, and attracted the sympathy they deserved. Now, the same people are called asylum seekers, which to 99% of people is a euphemism for lazy, foreign, criminal scrounger.

What happened to cause this change?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4975326.stm

Have you seen that?

I've hardly watched any news today - and aren't in central region anyway where I suspect it might have had an airing.

Yes that was odd. Infact to have 2 such **** ups by the electoral officers in one election was very unusual and was commented on during the election coverage by the Beeb.

In Barking the BNP figure was subject to a transposition error taking off a thousand of their votes. This was appealed immediately and the returning officer admitted the mistake but would seek legal advice in the matter.

In Birmingham the issue looks more suspicious with the BNP victory being confirmed after 2 recounts. What happened after the 2 recounts to change the situtation?

We will take council seat - BNP

May 6 2006

By Jasbir Authi & Guy Newey, Birmingham Mail

THE British National Party has insisted it will take up its first-ever Birmingham City Council seat following the farce at the local election count.

Sharon Ebanks was declared the winner of one of two vacant seats in Kingstanding, until city officials realised they had double counted the number of votes.

Mrs Ebanks today said she "won fair and square" and will be sworn into her seat on Monday. City council lawyers have admitted they have no powers to declare the result invalid, despite claiming the counting error.

The blunder has sparked a lengthy legal process, which could cost Birmingham taxpayers up to £30,000.

The authority now has to apply for a High Court order to confirm the election result, which could take months to complete.

A jubilant Mrs Ebanks was declared the winner at Thursday's count after two recounts.

She was later confronted with a statement issued by chief executive and returning officer Stephen Hughes stating the result was wrong and the two Labour candidates had beaten her into third place.

Mrs Ebanks, of Fell Grove, Handsworth, will now be able to claim her £15,000-a-year council allowance.

"I won fair and square even though they tried to change the system because they didn't want a BNP councillor," she said. "I am very much a people person and I look forward to helping people at the grass roots in Kingstanding."

Council chief legal officer Mirza Ahmad spent the early hours of yesterday morning consulting London barrister Philip Coppel, one of the country's foremost experts on election law.

The advice given was that Mrs Ebanks had been lawfully elected.

Mr Ahmad said: "At this moment in time the individual concerned is duly elected as a member of the city council.

"She is entitled to be sworn in and will no doubt make every effort to do so on Monday. If we do not swear in the individual concerned we would have to defend litigation from her which I would have to say we are likely to lose."

"Defeated" Labour candidate Catherine Grundy, from the Labour Party, will now have to launch an election petition to overturn the result.

Angry council leaders yesterday ordered an inquiry into the mixup and said they would encourage Mrs Grundy to use the courts to take her rightful place on the council.

Mike Whitby, the Conservative leader of the city council, said it was "abhorrent" that the far-right BNP could end up with a place in the council chamber.

Labour leader Sir Albert Bore warned that Mrs Ebanks' election would give the BNP an opportunity to gain a foothold in Kingstanding that it did not deserve.

Simon Darby, regional organiser for the BNP, which picked up nine seats across the West Midlands on Thursday, confirmed that Mrs Ebanks would take the oath of office on Monday. He said the party would resist any attempt to have the result nullified.