House Price Crash Forum

Will Local Councils

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I was listening this morning to the Jon Gaunt Show BBC Radio London, live from the Stratford Shopping Mall, East London.

He was interviewing The Mayor of Newham who said the Council were considering buying properties in the private sector to house the homeless in the Borough, and increase their housing stock.

Now if this policy was adopted by other councils, it would further add more difficulties for FTBs. Could it be that Newham Council can see the coming correction in HP, and hope to scoop up a lot of bargains.

Might end up being the saviour for the amateur BTLetters off loading in panic, I believe they hit the area hard in the past couple of years. :(

Newham has always been run by the loony left, that`s why I left there 35 years ago. :D

Guest Happy Harry
Now if this policy was adopted by other councils, it would further add more difficulties for FTBs. Could it be that Newham Council can see the coming correction in HP, and hope to scoop up a lot of bargains.

Well if the government allows the money in the coffers from the Right To Buy tenants to be released for housing purposes, they could buy up massive stocks.

A further threat to FTB`s could become a reality. Only an observation mind you.

if it were to happen that councils started buying up again to create more council houses, then this could cause prices to go upwards again...but then in order to pay for it councils would have to charge bigger taxes, so then people wouldn't be able to afford their mortgages and reposessions become common again, prices fall, and the council would be accused of buying at a peak.

all in all a great idea, but lets just leave it for a market stimulus plan heh! (but since Government sold off our gold at record lows, why wouldn't they buy houses at record highs!)

LA's buying up property at historically high prices :o

Right-to buys selling back ex-LA houses at double the price :o

BTL slum-lords shifting their low quality stock for high quality prices :o

Good job it's the worst idea I've heard in ages or it would be time to get worried. I wonder how much the "think-tank" got paid to come up with this little gem.

I need a drink.......

it's the worst idea I've heard in ages I need a drink.......

Precisely why it'll be implemented. For many years councils were selling council properties (ie taxpayers assets) at below market prices to tenants. If that scandal could be allowed to happen then this is very much a possibility.Very worrying.

Guest Happy Harry
Precisely why it'll be implemented.  For many years councils were selling council properties (ie taxpayers assets) at below market prices to tenants. If that scandal could be allowed to happen then this is very much a possibility.Very worrying.

Precisely, how else are they to house the new wave of asylum seekers, of which they are legally obliged to do. :(