House Price Crash Forum
penbat1

More Orgasmic Stock Market Rises

Go T.Clarke GO! Up 6% after the AGM.

(Always very suspiocious about such rises...makes me wonder if the chairman himself bought millions of shares to drive the price up and at the same time show just how inspirational his speech was.)

Still, musnt grumble!

DOW is within 200 pts of its all time high! Nikkei is regaining momentum also. Getting scary although I am hanging in with my investments for the time being as the returns are phenomenal. Gotta watch it day by day and have the trigger ready to bail on the stroke of a key. I bet BTLers wish it was that easy to get out? :o

DOW is within 200 pts of its all time high! Nikkei is regaining momentum also. Getting scary although I am hanging in with my investments for the time being as the returns are phenomenal. Gotta watch it day by day and have the trigger ready to bail on the stroke of a key. I bet BTLers wish it was that easy to get out? :o

I know what you mean. I looked at M&S share price today. Look at a graph over the last 10 years...it looks uncannily like repeating itself and nose-diving as it did in 92ish.

Seems to be a lot of money to be made if you choose the right companies though. I'll keep investing. I'm in for the long haul.

I know what you mean. I looked at M&S share price today. Look at a graph over the last 10 years...it looks uncannily like repeating itself and nose-diving as it did in 92ish.

Seems to be a lot of money to be made if you choose the right companies though. I'll keep investing. I'm in for the long haul.

Yes the long haul (10 years plus) is the only way to go.

Yes the long haul (10 years plus) is the only way to go.

Lifetime for me...been reading 'Welcome To My Trading Room' and he has some sound advice in terms of giving the market a decent "go":

5 years mininmum

10k minimum start-up for your portfolio.

Call it greed but I couldnt bear to cash in all my shares and see them grow at 5% a year when they have been doing 10-50% per year for the last two.

IF ONLY I had sunk all my cash into shares. :lol:

Some are worried about the long haul as the boomers are reaching retirement and will shift more money out of stocks into bonds and other instruments. I am still a long way off retirement but have gone 60:40 and will go 50:50 in a couple of years.

With all the boomers doing much the same, stocks may sustain some long term drops?

Some are worried about the long haul as the boomers are reaching retirement and will shift more money out of stocks into bonds and other instruments. I am still a long way off retirement but have gone 60:40 and will go 50:50 in a couple of years.

With all the boomers doing much the same, stocks may sustain some long term drops?

I am only 33:66 (Shares:Cash) so not deep at all. I'm actually wanting to increase that to 50:50 over the next 5-10 years.

Lifetime for me...been reading 'Welcome To My Trading Room' and he has some sound advice in terms of giving the market a decent "go":

5 years mininmum

10k minimum start-up for your portfolio.

Call it greed but I couldnt bear to cash in all my shares and see them grow at 5% a year when they have been doing 10-50% per year for the last two.

IF ONLY I had sunk all my cash into shares. :lol:

Yes but I sunk all my dosh into shares in the year 2000 and a lot of it sunk without trace and i wished i had stuck it all in cash at the time !! You shouldnt throw caution to the wind.

Also a rainy day cash buffer is a good idea so even if you lose your job you shouldnt have to sell your shares for a long time.

Edited by penbat1

Yes but I sunk all my dosh into shares in the year 2000 and a lot of it sunk without trace and i wished i had stuck it all in cash at the time !! You shouldnt throw caution to the wind.

Also a rainy day cash buffer is a good idea so even if you lose your job you shouldnt have to sell your shares for a long time.

Yup, that's why I am far too cautious to do that. Even 50:50 would be extreme for me.

I see my shares as little more than pension money (40 years to go) at the moment, not that it is my only plan for a pension.

If I keep investing I may be able to retire in 30. ;)

Yup, that's why I am far too cautious to do that. Even 50:50 would be extreme for me.

I see my shares as little more than pension money (40 years to go) at the moment, not that it is my only plan for a pension.

If I keep investing I may be able to retire in 30. ;)

or be working until your 80 *shudder* :lol:

Edited by theChuz

DOW up 145

Trade Time: 2:52PM ET

Change: Up 144.32 (1.26%)

Prev Close: 11,438.86

Open: 11,440.62

Day's Range: 11,440.62 - 11,586.38

52wk Range: 10,062.80 - 11,512.20

Change on the day:

FTSE 100 6,091.70 up 54.80 +0.91%

FTSE 250 10,107.90 up 151.30 +1.52%

yes I know,looks nice......I'm still looking for a nasty pullback!well overdue now.....I wouldn't be surprised to see a sharp one to 5k before too long.....most likely an IR hike or oil shock to cause it....worth a look again in spring '07 ready for the presidential cycle.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

All I have noticed the past weeks is it has gone up and down like a yo yo, hardly orgasmic IMO. :)

Go T.Clarke GO! Up 6% after the AGM.

Oh, nice... I have a bit of CTO stuffed in my back pocket. CSR made me smile last week, +16.5% on results IIRC. How I envy my local -7.5% property market :D

Anyone like the look of additional GBS whilst sterling is flying high?

All I have noticed the past weeks is it has gone up and down like a yo yo, hardly orgasmic IMO. :)

FTSE100 Yo Yo ing but FTSE250 well into record high territory.

A lot of money is pouring into the markets in both the US and UK with mutual funds, ISAs etc. reporting huge volumes. Some may even be MEWing to get in quick. Imagine the markets crashing after MEWing--a double whammy. :o

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/06052006/17/sli-re...rust-sales.html

SLI reports 282% rise in unit trust sales

STANDARD Life Investments yesterday revealed a massive increase in gross sales of unit trusts and open-ended investment companies in the first quarter of 2006 as investors poured back into the markets.
Sales shot up to £420 million for the three-month
period of the year compared to £110m in the same period last year - a rise of 282 per cent. The industry average increase was 63 per cent
Edited by Realistbear

The FTSE100 seems to have had a lot of distribution going on. Many uptrends have been broken, so I'm waiting for some sort of signal that it will go either way. Could the DOW on Friday start moving it upwards again?