House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
godsakes

York

I'm based in York and trying to make sense of the house prices up here.

Terry's choc factory closed in the summer of 05, you would have thought that might have an effect on the housing market but it only turns out that around 300 jobs were lost (which were spread out over time).

anyway i began to research the major employers in york http://www.cityofyork.com/econfact/company.htm

next to the local council it looks like nestle are the biggest employer and there are rumours that production may get moved over to europe there are already signs of support functions getting outsourced:

Nestle is to shed 234 of the 3,000 jobs at its confectionery factory in York, and a further 41 jobs will be lost at a factory near Newcastle upon Tyne. 03-Mar-2006

Nestle is to shed 35 IT jobs at sites in York and Croydon this year, following the implementation of a business process reengineering programme. 08-Feb-2005

http://www.ukbusinesspark.co.uk/nestleaa.htm

can anyone else add to the likely future of nestle or any of the other major employers in york.

i was told by an employee a while back they were going to turn the choclate factory into flats? Not sure how much truth is in it...

Edited by moosetea

Nestle has to be odds-on for complete closure within a few years. I think it curently directly employs around 2,500 staff.

Norwich Union, or whatever name they're currently trading under, I think can be relied on to outsource a fair chunk of their current life insurance work. Currently employing around 3,500 I believe.

Just need to point out for your wider analysis, that York is a domicile of choice for white collar/professional/management people to commute to jobs all over North and West Yorks. It's common for people to exploit the jobs markets of Leeds etc and live in York for the higher quality of life. And these people may well be the ones with more money, so capable of supporting high prices in York. Also bear in mind how highly regarded York Uni is these days, is this not an attractant too?

Just need to point out for your wider analysis, that York is a domicile of choice for white collar/professional/management people to commute to jobs all over North and West Yorks. It's common for people to exploit the jobs markets of Leeds etc and live in York for the higher quality of life. And these people may well be the ones with more money, so capable of supporting high prices in York. Also bear in mind how highly regarded York Uni is these days, is this not an attractant too?

A lot of people also live in York and work in London.

I was chatting to a taxi driver last night about the jobs at Nestle and he mentioned that once a upon a time it employed around 15k workers - so it doesn't look like a closure is going to start a local depression but it may at least slow things for a while.

A lot of people also live in York and work in London.

Totally agree - i was looking at some median earnings stats for york and it was something like £430-440 per week, a lot of this can't be from local jobs. Norwich Union & CPP are big employers in York but they mainly offer call centre type jobs, and they're certainly not known for their great wages.

I was chatting to a taxi driver last night about the jobs at Nestle and he mentioned that once a upon a time it employed around 15k workers - so it doesn't look like a closure is going to start a local depression but it may at least slow things for a while.

Totally agree - i was looking at some median earnings stats for york and it was something like £430-440 per week, a lot of this can't be from local jobs. Norwich Union & CPP are big employers in York but they mainly offer call centre type jobs, and they're certainly not known for their great wages.

York to london is 2.5 hours on a train, seems a bit far. Arent most commutes under an hour? Wouldnt like spending 5 hours a day on a train, 2 and a half is enough for me!

york - london is 1hr 50mins on several trains (it's actually the Aberdeen train!)

NU doesn't really have any 'proper' call centre jobs in York - the jobs they have are mainly professional, unlikely to be outsourced in great numbers (a few have gone already) - salaries are quite high

the Leeds job market is poor - it is full of accountancies and solicitors - contrary to popular opinion these don't pay particularly well

york - london is 1hr 50mins on several trains (it's actually the Aberdeen train!)

NU doesn't really have any 'proper' call centre jobs in York - the jobs they have are mainly professional, unlikely to be outsourced in great numbers (a few have gone already) - salaries are quite high

the Leeds job market is poor - it is full of accountancies and solicitors - contrary to popular opinion these don't pay particularly well

Some people commute from York to London, but not in huge numbers. Not really significant.

Regarding Norwich Union, while some staff are on decent salaries, there are many lower paid workers there. Expect more of those jobs to disappear abroad.

Norwich Union, or whatever name they're currently trading under, I think can be relied on to outsource a fair chunk of their current life insurance work. Currently employing around 3,500 I believe.

As expected, Norwich Union are cutting jobs - 4000 redundancies in Britain. wonder how many of them will be in York?