House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Property Ladder Back For 5th Series

Property ladder back for its fifth season

So how does this work then? You buy a run down property, make mistakes re-developing it to finally come out the end making money because "You always make money in a rising market"...Oh hang on..that last bit..the bit about making money in a rising market; when if you`d have done nothing to the property at all you`d have still made money due to rampant house price inflation running amok in an over heated market place..how can that scenario possibly be replicated in a stagant, if not falling, market place?

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...articlekey=1883

Edited by Converted Lurker

Property ladder back for its fifth season

So how does this work then? You buy a run down property, make mistakes re-developing it to finally come out the end making money because "You always make money in a rising market"...Oh hang on..that last bit..the bit about making money in a rising market; when if you`d have done nothing to the property at all you`d have still made money due to rampant house price inflation running amok in an over heated market place..how can that scenario possibly be replicated in a stagant, if not falling, market place?

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...articlekey=1883

I note the "so how does this work then?" question comes from the firstrung article, and is not necessarily a question you are asking.

If the program makers wanted to make it appear like lots of money can still be made in property, the answer is to stop following up the actual sale price of the property and calculating gains on that, to using a tame estate agent to come in and "value" the property at the end instead. I've seen this happen on a number of shows.

Billy Shears

Hopefully this time, any profit they MAY make has been from their hard graft, and not just because the market had risen anyway.

I hope there are lots of 'told you so's ' from Sarah.

Has she had the baby yet?

Hopefully this time, any profit they MAY make has been from their hard graft, and not just because the market had risen anyway.

I hope there are lots of 'told you so's ' from Sarah.

Has she had the baby yet?

A Beeny BabY? :P

Guest Guy_Montag

There are several options:

1) They pick people who do a good job & deserve to make money.

2) Everyone on the programme is picking houses in Northern Ireland & North Scotland, where prices are still going up.

3) Maybe some people will lose money in this show.

My money is on the third option. She'll make money whatever happens & people love car crash TV.

2) Everyone on the programme is picking houses in Northern Ireland & North Scotland, where prices are still going up.

My money is on the third option. She'll make money whatever happens & people love car crash TV.

exactly,schadenfreude! i'd love to see some arrogant incapable idiots making fools of themselves.

Edited by ronnie

I LOVE IT!!!! Do up a house using Mastercards and then see the look on their faces when its dropped by 30K!!! PRICELESS!!

Edited by OzzMosiz

be good if it really did reflect the current climate. However, I reckon the makers can cherry pick the contributors experiences to make the show point in any direction they want <_<

Property Ladder aways seemed bearish to me - SB always stressed the only reason most of the people portrayed made / didn't lose much money was due to rises in property prices, which she did not portray as a good thing.

Do you remember the one with those two sisters doing up an art deco place? Jeee-sus.

Anyway, I for one welcome the opportunity to see Beeny's busters one more time. :D