House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

TTRTR has lost the plot, I don't know what to say. I hope he doesnt do anything silly' i'd feel responsible. TTRTR fortunatelly for you theres still time to bail out, but be quick

Another month of no change in IRs might send some of the more barking bear specimens to the medicine cabinet, but I'd be surprised if TTRTR is in the bit exercised by it.

TTRTR has lost the plot, I don't know what to say

I hope he doesnt do anything silly' i'd feel responsible.

TTRTR fortunatelly for you theres still time to bail out, but be quick :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

You wanted to bait the bulls......did you like what you got for it?

Keep telling us though, I know we've had a few serious scuffles quite a while back now, but believe it or not I actually like you!

:)

Another month of no change in IRs might send some of the more barking bear specimens to the medicine cabinet, but I'd be surprised if TTRTR is in the bit exercised by it.

Im sure TTRTR will make some nonsensical in-denial bear baiting comment soon enough.

Then probably add a series of laughing faces like so:-

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Because he always needs more than one to demonstrate how incredibly witty and right he is.

Edited by geneer

Damn shame that actually buying a home in the UK becomes this emotional..

If the UK put as much effort into actually building an economy as it does in attempting to base one on the much fabled "Million Pound Brick" I think we would all be happier and a lot more productive.

I am happy, I have a beautiful girl, two motorcyces and a playstation..

no house of course, Can't afford the repayments and to be honest I would be playing fast an loose with the truth to borrow that much anyway..

The BBC cheered me up..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county29.stm

They can appear a bull, but only when their lips move..

You can only put a bulls spin against bearish figures..

I have never been guilty of putting bearish spin on bullish figures..

(2003... these 20% rises clearly show the market is dead...etc..)

Absolutely right. When you feel a bit overwhelmed by the VI spin, just take a look at the ACTUAL prices paid - down 2+% in the last quarter (depending on where you are). NO doubt we'll see a blip for Spring, then down, down again. <_<

TTRTR has lost the plot, I don't know what to say

I hope he doesnt do anything silly' i'd feel responsible.

TTRTR fortunatelly for you theres still time to bail out, but be quick :lol:

No, hang on until he has a good reason to sell. Unfortunately, the trend is up, Halifax posting 8% Annual HPI is a full-on kick in the nuts for the perma bears.

I suspect TTRTR isn't very worried at the moment.

;)

Three :lol: 's indicate that he is around 75% cleverer than the rest of us.

The ;) indicates that he is in fact being ironic which has the effect of multiplying the original cleverness by infinity making him clever that all of the rest of us put together.

Without the multiplication factor TTRTR's cleverness is limited solely by the limit on emoticons set on this forum.

;)

TTRTR, so will you be leaving your mortgages on a variable rate, or fixing them like many have suggested? Or maybe you have already...

TTRTR, so will you be leaving your mortgages on a variable rate, or fixing them like many have suggested? Or maybe you have already...

IMO fixing is a false security. The problems with fixing are that yes you get something you know you can afford today, but the longer you fix for, the higher the rate tends to get. Then you have the problem of coming off the fixed rate, you will be subject soon enough to the current rates, whatever they are.

IMO the only way to protect myself from high rates, is to make sure the places I'm renting out are earning as much as they can and to also make sure that I'm paying the most competetive variable rate possible now. By doing that, I can afford rate rises & benefit from rate drops, plus I won't get any shocks from coming off fixed rates or any penalties from being on a fixed rate when rates are falling.

Keep telling us though, I know we've had a few serious scuffles quite a while back now, but believe it or not I actually like you!

can you say that in a dick emery typeface.?

mm. probably emery san serif. or maybe VAG rounded.

IMO fixing is a false security. The problems with fixing are that yes you get something you know you can afford today, but the longer you fix for, the higher the rate tends to get. Then you have the problem of coming off the fixed rate, you will be subject soon enough to the current rates, whatever they are.

IMO the only way to protect myself from high rates, is to make sure the places I'm renting out are earning as much as they can and to also make sure that I'm paying the most competetive variable rate possible now. By doing that, I can afford rate rises & benefit from rate drops, plus I won't get any shocks from coming off fixed rates or any penalties from being on a fixed rate when rates are falling.

I.e. I am considerably richer then eeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwww!

Three :lol: 's indicate that he is around 75% cleverer than the rest of us.

The ;) indicates that he is in fact being ironic which has the effect of multiplying the original cleverness by infinity making him clever that all of the rest of us put together.

B)

Without the multiplication factor TTRTR's cleverness is limited solely by the limit on emoticons set on this forum.

:rolleyes:

Serious question

Are you a "bull" or are you a business man?

I am a business man, there's no sentiment but on the same token there's no complacency. Things change, and I will not let dogma get the better of me.

Business man = Run business to make profit

You must see whats happening or face ruin

Actually I really think you already Know this and many of your posts are just wind ups.

edited

you are probably the best counter arguer to a "correction" (carlsberg dont counter argue HPC)

2ND EDIT

You have already looked at your debt exposure and profitability. You have used this forum to its full potential, and youve had some fun, well done

Edited by Flat Bear

yes, but for 3 or 4 years now i have been convinced that the financial markets are mistaken by writing off inflation as dead and buried...The way bond yields have come down compared to 5 or 10 years ago shows this.......Bond yields determine the rates offered on long term fixes and are so low that 15 year fixes are available at bearly above current variable rates.....so if you think they're wrong to have written off inflation get a long term fix....

Why don't you diversify??...All your eggs seem to be in one basket.......Instead of selling your portfolio like the bears suggest or doing the opposite why not sell half of it and invest the money elsewhere?

In the context of this forum, I am a bull.

In the context of my rentals, I am a profit seeker & CG is just a bonus.

yes, but for 3 or 4 years now i have been convinced that the financial markets are mistaken by writing off inflation as dead and buried...The way bond yields have come down compared to 5 or 10 years ago shows this.......Bond yields determine the rates offered on long term fixes and are so low that 15 year fixes are available at bearly above current variable rates.....so if you think they're wrong to have written off inflation get a long term fix....

Why don't you diversify??...All your eggs seem to be in one basket.......Instead of selling your portfolio like the bears suggest or doing the opposite why not sell half of it and invest the money elsewhere?

Because I believe in the prospects for property and the gearing I have multiplies the return. Any diversification would be me gearing up more to pay for other investments rather than selling for that purpose.

Well from a sample of only 1600 I think its too difficult to call an 8% (1/12th) drop. Seeing as how TTRTR owns the other 1600 and he aint selling!

And another thing TTRTR, whats all this cobblers about about not wanting to come off a fixed rate to face a higher rate?

1. If you come off a fixed rate to a higher variable, then up to that point you have been gaining/beating the market.

2. Fixed rates are only higher than floating when the market sees floating rates rising in the future. The 5 year fixed rate is today's full impression of the total yield curve over the next 5 years. So if you dont fix and the market pans out the way it was expected your floating rates will rise anyway! Surely you are not suggesting that fixed rates are higher for some reason to do with credit? They are not!

3. Why talk about the advantages of being able to follow the rate down, if you do not mention the hazards of following it up? This is not clear thinking.

I am beginning to form an opinion that you are a wildly hopeful optimist, you expect rates to go down because thats just what you need, but refuse to consider that they can go up.

Everytime you hear us say that house prices will fall, you say that the BOE will drop rates to help the market. You are basically saying that house prices can't fall ever, yet they can rise? Is this even logical? IS this sound business thinking?

The biggest threat to you is that you bought in 1995/6 and have riden the largest boom in history, so you have never seen a bad day in the office and this has reinforced your hopeful optimism.

I think you are clever and you are a good landlord and handyman, but you have not got a business model that will survive a full cycle, ie. one where house prices fall and/or interest rates rise considerably.

Sleep tight on that little thought......

TTRTR is that a picture of a slug on your display or a picture of a BTL'er? :-)

And another thing TTRTR, whats all this cobblers about about not wanting to come off a fixed rate to face a higher rate?

1. If you come off a fixed rate to a higher variable, then up to that point you have been gaining/beating the market.

2. Fixed rates are only higher than floating when the market sees floating rates rising in the future. The 5 year fixed rate is today's full impression of the total yield curve over the next 5 years. So if you dont fix and the market pans out the way it was expected your floating rates will rise anyway! Surely you are not suggesting that fixed rates are higher for some reason to do with credit? They are not!

3. Why talk about the advantages of being able to follow the rate down, if you do not mention the hazards of following it up? This is not clear thinking.

I am beginning to form an opinion that you are a wildly hopeful optimist, you expect rates to go down because thats just what you need, but refuse to consider that they can go up.

Everytime you hear us say that house prices will fall, you say that the BOE will drop rates to help the market. You are basically saying that house prices can't fall ever, yet they can rise? Is this even logical? IS this sound business thinking?

The biggest threat to you is that you bought in 1995/6 and have riden the largest boom in history, so you have never seen a bad day in the office and this has reinforced your hopeful optimism.

I think you are clever and you are a good landlord and handyman, but you have not got a business model that will survive a full cycle, ie. one where house prices fall and/or interest rates rise considerably.

Sleep tight on that little thought......

1/ Not necessarily, you generally have to pay more than the best variable rates to go to fixed, or you might get an introductory low fix, followed by a very high variable. I would much rather be stuck on the best variable rate than to be shifted onto a new high variable & be unable to remortgage to a better rate for some unforseen circumstance like much higher IR's meaning I don't qualify for some reason for a new mortgage or non paying tenants in situ for example. Much better to be long term very competetive than short term secure. Lets not forget it costs to remortgage too.

2. You sure that's not just specials that have a penalising rate to go to after the fix?

3. Right now I pay 0.74% over base for most of my loans. That's better than the usual 2% over base. Imagine I fixed today at say 5%, then in 2 years (if rates happen to be higher) I come off the fix at 2% over base & base is 6%? I'll be stuck on 8% when I could have been on 6.74% with my current mortgages.

You seem to forget in your assessment of me that my earliest purchases support my latest, so my position has always been that I should get further away from my risk before I take on new risk. Meaning that I shouldn't take risks like people who buy 5 new builds at once, which to me is a big chance.

I don't think I have said rates would drop in response to HP falls, but I would certainly argue that IR's have risen largely in response to the strength of housing. So why shouldn't they fall with weakness if that happens?

You seem to base your analysis on what margins you can achieve over a fixed or floating rate and not whether it would be better to have a fixed or floating rate. This is not the same.

The mortgage companies want to make money out of you, period. They will get you whichever way. Perhaps you are considered a good risk now, at the end of the next floating period you, or the market at large may not still think that.

Personally I would consider booking a floating rate and hedging it with a competitive method (spread bet?) as a bolt on, if I was going to buy, which I am not.

A friend has just fixed for 10 years, I think that if he HAS to buy right now, this is a very smart move purely on the balance of risk and reward. Current rates can't go down by more than 4%, but they can rise by more than that amount.

Seasons change TTRTR, after every summer, there is an autumn that turns to winter.

I am planning to go to Japan on holiday this year. 60 years ago that would have been unthinkable for a British person.

In 60 years Iraq maybe the holiday destination of choice, although its difficult to comprehend today. 60 years is a long time, but 4 years ago Saddam was still in power.

8 years ago it was a good time to be buying tech stocks. 6 years ago it was a great time to sell them.

Cycles eh? Dont they just muck things up?