House Price Crash Forum
crash 2005

Boe Keep Rates On Hold Again

Don't worry. In my area of South East London, the bounce has come to an end.

Asking prices are up significantly - 10% in some instances, but nothing is flipping over to SSTC.

The recent Halifax figures are from sales agreed back during the bounce, which has now stopped.

The Bank of England not acting now, will simply mean there will be a series of rises in succession later on this year IMO, which may do more damage than a couple of small rises 6 months apart.

funny, its says published at 9:30 am

has it been there for 2.5 hours and none of us noticed?

Thats when the minutes will be published.

I noticed something interesting about the betfair interest rate bets.

When I placed my bet of 2 pounds at 10-something this morning, I got the odds 1:65 (or whatever the notation is), but by the end of the bet the odds were down to 1:9.4

Does this usually happen, or does it mean that the general public (at least the betting public) is starting to think that interest rates might rise?

Discretion on a day of Elections of greater interest than usual, and a Government facing "issues".

Independence notwithstanding, would you want to rock the boat in any way?

Yawn! Someone wake me up when MPC have :rolleyes:

You really dont get it. There really is a new paradigmn. The new paradigmn is that things have got into such a mess that all that is left to do is nothing.

Just keep still - it may go away and if it doesn't just change the goal posts and "simmer" the books a little. But whatever you do not rock the boat - remain calm and ignore that huge hole and the waves coming over the side.

I would say there may well be some very strong hints towards rises in the minutes, which will be released AFTER todays elections.

What's actually going to stop people spending more than they earn? Anyone? If loan servicing is cheap enough and you've got wages coming in to cover it all... what's going to stop people just expanding this debt mountain up to 1.5 trillion and beyond?

Boe Keep Rates On Hold Again, when will they learn

Or rather, when will you VI bears learn?

Can't help but raise a wry smile at all the guff on the fora in recent days about the inevitability of a rise this month. :rolleyes:

Spin away!

Edited by Seamaster

You really dont get it. There really is a new paradigmn. The new paradigmn is that things have got into such a mess that all that is left to do is nothing.

Just keep still - it may go away and if it doesn't just change the goal posts and "simmer" the books a little. But whatever you do not rock the boat - remain calm and ignore that huge hole and the waves coming over the side.

No! Rock the boat hard, so that those that go on (at any expense) are drowned, and those that missed it can get on!

Edited by OzzMosiz

Guest Winners and Losers

Can't help but raise a wry smile at all the guff on the fora in recent days about the inevitability of a rise this month. :rolleyes:

Spin away!

Did someone ask where all the bulls had gone? Here they come! :rolleyes:

Guest Guy_Montag

I think the BOE will take a leaf out of all other central banks' books & hint strongly or even make an announcement before they make the next change, & whether it will be up or down.

Right now everything that comes out seems to imply: we expect raise rates a little in the future, but right now we are content to leave things as they are.

They are tasked with keeping CPI at 2%, which they have done admirably. Of course there may be issues over whether CPI accurately represents inflation in the cost of living, but this are not part of the BoE mandate.

Can't help but raise a wry smile at all the guff on the fora in recent days about the inevitability of a rise this month.

Who's been saying a rise would happen this month, let alone be inevitable? Most people have been saying that a hold was inevitable this month because of the elections.

They are tasked with keeping CPI at 2%, which they have done admirably.

********. Brown has kept the CPI at 2% by fiddling the figures: the BoE actions are irrelevant.

Edited by MarkG

:lol::lol:

Yes I think your right. but its the government who are "Bemused"

Spin away!

Nobody has said there is likely to be a rise today. It is plainly obvious with local elections on the same day, that the B of E would not be able to raise rates today for the obvious reasons.

Have you seen what is actually happening with rates for credit over the world. Fixed rates here are ramping up very fast indeed. With the global tightening happening in unison, we (UK) are going to be hit very, very hard.

They are tasked with keeping CPI at 2%, which they have done admirably.

Yeah right.

Oil has gone from $10 a barrel in 1998 to $70 today, house prices have gone up 400% in the same period

And they tell us inflation has been below 2%

Wake up

I think the BOE will take a leaf out of all other central banks' books & hint strongly or even make an announcement before they make the next change, & whether it will be up or down.

Right now everything that comes out seems to imply: we expect raise rates a little in the future, but right now we are content to leave things as they are.

They are tasked with keeping CPI at 2%, which they have done admirably. Of course there may be issues over whether CPI accurately represents inflation in the cost of living, but this are not part of the BoE mandate.

I agree (for what it's worth). I've noticed a few comments drip drip dripping through, laying the grounds for preparing us for a hint that maybe they'll rise soonish. I think they did the same in Australia recently, spoke about a rise for two of three months beforehand.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Who's been saying a rise would happen this month, let alone be inevitable? Most people have been saying that a hold was inevitable this month because of the elections.

That seems to tally with the forum posts, I've been reading this last month, Seabiscuit must have been reading an entirely different set of posts.

Can't help but raise a wry smile at all the guff on the fora in recent days about the inevitability of a rise this month.

Easily amused isn't he? :)