House Price Crash Forum

Another rear-view mirror report

A 2% increase in one month is absolutely shocking. It's the clearest sign yet that we have to have higher interest rates.

:o:(

"Housing market activity has risen steadily in recent months. Halifax

Estate Agents registered the sixth successive rise in sales agreed on an

annual basis in March. Sales agreed in the first three months of 2006 were

15% higher than in the same period of 2005."

"in March"?

Hmmm, are they actually trying to put a negative spin on this? KoN, where are you? Can you explain if the

The increases in recent months are partly attributable to technical factors. Specifically, the corresponding monthly figures last year were weak.

bit is a bit of a statistical smokescreen, please.

<_<

WL,

Check out the anuual HPI, 8.0%.

Edited by Golden Shower

This has been going on for years now. It's clear interest rates need to rise.

We should have a rise today, IMO, to wipe the inevitable smile off the face of the VI cronies that support this corrupted market. However, I suspect that, unlike the Australian central bank yesterday, the Bank of England don't have the balls.

They didn't stop the bubble forming in the first place and they don't seem too interested in this latest "spurt".

This country should hang its head in shame for being so bloody greedy and selfish.

Hmmm, are they actually trying to put a negative spin on this? KoN, where are you? Can you explain if the

bit is a bit of a statistical smokescreen, please.

<_<

WL,

Check out the anuual HPI, 8.0%.

Hi Golden

Yep, I think they are trying to put negative spin on it (after all prices are now 4.4% higher than the start of the year and they had 3% pencilled in)

Also , using normal methods (Ie not hte halifax 3month rolling ann HPI), then annual HPI is 9.9%

To be frank, I'm shocked at the number, (They have revised up last months number as well). I expected it to fall back after the previous two trong months.

Ohh and as the board like the NSA number it's 3.4%

The reason they are mentioning last years numbers is Jan April and May had falls, and March was +0.5%

So next month even if prices don't rise the annual HPI will rise , by 0.1% and the following month by 0.6% (as these were falls last year, and will so fall out). They are basically warning us to expect annual HPI to pick up further IMHO)

"Housing market activity has risen steadily in recent months. Halifax

Estate Agents registered the sixth successive rise in sales agreed on an

annual basis in March. Sales agreed in the first three months of 2006 were

15% higher than in the same period of 2005."

"in March"?

Does not mean completed????

This is absolute b0llox! Again!

TB

OK MPC - +0.5% TODAY!!!

A lot of people I know who held off buying for a few years started looking in Jan/Feb. The media has done such a good job off convincing people to dive into the property market before its too late

Interesting to note, not one of the people I know who have bought this year have a repayment mortgage. They all have interest only, with one guy I know using his left over cash to furnish his new flat. He has no plan (as yet) to pay back the captial....

To be frank, I'm shocked at the number, (They have revised up last months number as well). I expected it to fall back after the previous two trong months.

I expected it to be to a rise but something uninteresting.

Today, I think that my desire to leave this country have come one step closer.

I'm not sure that I want to live in a society like this - one that celebrates the astronomical prices of basic human shelter.

I can't find any mention in this thread as to whether we're talking asking or selling prices here :unsure:

Hi Bingley

It's the value the surveyor puts on the property.

IE normally the agreed sales price or downgraded.

I can't find any mention in this thread as to whether we're talking asking or selling prices here :unsure:

I think Halifax is taken at the approvals stage, so I think it's fairly late in the process and probably a better measure than Rightmove.

As we forecast at the start of the year, house price inflation may increase again over the next few months. We subsequently expect it to decline as the technical factor outlined above unwinds. The much stronger pattern of house price growth in the second half of 2005 should mean the growth rate moderates in 2006 H2.

Does this mean they expect the rate of increase to slow down, or to be a negative number (i.e. prices fall)? :ph34r:

Wow, it's exciting to watch a market overheating to this extent. It's exciting to see record oil prices almost every day, but they are driven by fundamentals. It's like watching an F1 car glide around a racetrack. Watching the housing market now is like watching a horrendously souped-up and over-modded XR3i going at full pelt towards a brick wall, smoke already pouring from the engine.

A sharp rise while prices are already at record highs relative to earnings, unemployment is rising, higher fuel prices are eating into spending power and wage growth is restrained...it's out of control.

They're playing it down because they don't want to get hit with a rate rise, but that's exactly what they'll get. And the psychological impact of that, after so many lies in the press about cuts, will be huge. A lot of people thought they had weathered the storm from 3.5 to 4.75, and that we would be coasting back down now. A rate rise will introduce a huge element of uncertainty (even though large swathes of the media, especially the BBC, will bend over backwards to suggest that it is a one-off).

People, this is going to be more spectacular than most of us thought!

Does this mean they expect the rate of increase to slow down, or to be a negative number (i.e. prices fall)? :ph34r:

It means that last years number which drops out, will be stronger than the current number that is replacing it.

This is because, from Sept 05 Halifax had some strong numbers, so therefore when these are replaced with lower numbers (If that happens), then annual HPI will reduce.

What really makes me sick is the HALIFAX and others coming out with these HPI figures and then almost "telling" the BOE- NOT to increase IR's

Not least blagging those STR fund sat in various bank accounts. Unless you are a cunning STR and know how to play the markets, you may have cocked up big style by leaving your money in the bank.

Rates will not get hiked at the BoE this time - Get Real - that is what I have been told by an insider. They told me they weren't 100% sure, but were 99% sure.

So can someone tell me when this crash is supposed to start? I keep putting off buying and every month that goes by my hopes of owning a property are becoming more and more distant

So can someone tell me when this crash is supposed to start? I keep putting off buying and every month that goes by my hopes of owning a property are becoming more and more distant

When it gets dark at night do you lose hope that the sun will ever appear again?

Increasing personal debt, Increasing IR's - It'll all end in tears.This time it really is different - wait for the bang!

NO MORE BOOM AND BUST MY @RSE!

When it gets dark at night do you lose hope that the sun will ever appear again?

Thats so funny....

Realy though its a load of rubbish I cant see a house price crash coming as most people now are getting interest only mortgages and dont care about the debt they have. The people of this website keep talking about a crash, well where is the evidence???

Increasing personal debt, Increasing IR's - It'll all end in tears.This time it really is different - wait for the bang!

NO MORE BOOM AND BUST MY @RSE!

How high would interest rates have to go to cause a crash? It doesnt look like they are going up this month...

Thats so funny....

Realy though its a load of rubbish I cant see a house price crash coming as most people now are getting interest only mortgages and dont care about the debt they have.

Well if you think House prices are a "one way bet" go and join them! Really can't see what you're doing hanging around here? :rolleyes:

Realy though its a load of rubbish I cant see a house price crash coming as most people now are getting interest only mortgages and dont care about the debt they have. The people of this website keep talking about a crash, well where is the evidence???

You don't consider the fact that people are having to take on Interest Only mortgages and not care about unservicable debts any more as evidence?

A correction will come, we hoped it would come sooner, it hasn't.

I think we can see that the August coup d'etat at the BoE has back fired.