House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

Guardian: Countdown To A Conundrum: Vorderman Urged To Stop Adverts For Loan Company.

'Countdown to a conundrum: Vorderman urged to stop adverts for loan company':

http://money.guardian.co.uk/creditanddebt/...1766972,00.html

Carol Vorderman, the face of Channel 4's Countdown and star of a long-running TV advert that promotes loan consolidation, will today find herself at the centre of a growing rebellion against celebrity-led debt advertising.

[...snip...]

In the adverts for FirstPlus, which is owned by Barclays Bank and is Britain's biggest loan consolidation company, Ms Vorderman tells viewers to "splash out a bit" because "life is for living". But the Real Story programme reveals how salespeople at FirstPlus offered to lend more than the value of applicants' homes, putting them into negative equity. One couple featured had debts of £20,000 and a joint income of £18,000, but were sold a £47,000 loan by FirstPlus secured against their home at an interest rate which started at 10.9% but has since risen to 12%. The boom in consolidation lending comes amid growing concern about Britain's £1 trillion debt mountain. County court judgments (CCJs) for failing to pay debts rose by 7% in 2005 to 573,321, while personal insolvencies soared by 46% in the third quarter of 2005 to 17,562.

Get rid of her, consign her to the stencilled cupboard of Linda Barker.

If you've ever taken a duvet day and had the tv on all day, you are literally bombarded with sickeningly painfull adverts for consolidation loans, "Ever had an accident" compo claims, insurance this, claim that, old git MEW, cash in your attic, your car boot, homes for auction etc etc etc endless ways of making money without ever having to leave your TV and get a job!

Very true. This woman is using her celebrity appeal as an intelligent, discerning woman, in order to encourage people into debt. I often dream of what I would say to people like her if I met them in the street. And it ain't a pretty dream.

What about the Virgin ad?! That shows some guy living life to the fullest. buying a goat (yes, goat), discovering some pandoras box of light in an old junk shop. The debt card then flashes up at the end, and we are encouraged to live life to the fullest. What a load of old cobblers!

The pandoras box that is capitilism is taking us down the only route it knows. Self destruction. Sacrifice of long term happiness for short term satisfaction. Speculation causing high house prices, immigration causing low wages, birth rate approaching zero in my neck of the demographic woods. The planet is dying and capitilism has nothing in it's makeup or power to stop it happening.

Wake up people and smell the goats!!

Edited by Landagan

What about the Virgin ad?! That shows some guy living life to the fullest. buying a goat (yes, goat), discovering some pandoras box of light in an old junk shop. The debt card then flashes up at the end, and we are encouraged to live life to the fullest. What a load of old cobblers!

i agree. this one os so bad i thought about a formal complaint to the ASA.

"jeff learns that things get interesting when you say 'yes' to a virgin credit card"

there is little mention of paying it back.

and some on here think richard branston is a cool guy.

cd burning, cheap air travel and debt peddlar ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

As a "maths whiz", Carol Vorderman would clearly be viewed by the financially naive as credible. Her wholesome image and her stand against child sex abuse must also make her seem trustworthy and admirable.

However, her advocacy of a high debt lifestyle (for that is in reality what it is) will undoubtedly, if unchecked, lead to broken homes and kids in vulnerable situations.

Consequently, she should withdraw her advocacy of these debt "solutions" before her face appears in tabloids next to some pervert claiming "Carol couldn't have done a better job even if she'd been my pimp."

Edited by Sledgehead

If you've ever taken a duvet day and had the tv on all day, you are literally bombarded with sickeningly painfull adverts for consolidation loans, "Ever had an accident" compo claims, insurance this, claim that, old git MEW, cash in your attic, your car boot, homes for auction etc etc etc endless ways of making money without ever having to leave your TV and get a job!

It's the appeal of 'money for nothing'. In fact, if you work it out per hour, you're probably better off just working in McDonalds. If you've read Freakonomics, there's an analysis of rewards of drug dealing - per hour, the vast majority of them make less than the minimum wage, with a hugely increased change of death. But it's illegal so surely it MUST pay more than a normal job :blink:

Why has the glamour of cheating the system become so fashionable that people ignore basis economics? Madness!

I guess it caters for the audience - if you're watching daytime TV, you're probably don't work anyway (present company accepted of course)

I'm slightly encouraged by the BBC Apprentice program - at least it's connects success with going to work. We seem to be losing that - successful people sit in properties and watch them go up in value. Maybe it's all part of Brown amazing economic miracle. No one has to work, we just claim money from each each other. Brilliant :)

I'm slightly encouraged by the BBC Apprentice program - at least it's connects success with going to work.

Off topic :

Really? It seems to me to have been an exercise in blagging your way to the top. I particularly objected to the Ruth comment, "We've got 5 gcses between us ... we've done it all ourselves."

Yeah, that's right, while lazy @rses like me were being "handed out" qualifications, Ruth and her mate were out there "go-getting" (lying about) theirs to climb the greasy pole.

Why is it only uneducated people are allowed to call themselves self-made?

Edited by Sledgehead

Off topic :

Really? It seems to me to have been an exercise in blagging your way to the top. I particularly objected to the Ruth comment, "We've got 5 gcses between us ... we've done it all ourselves."

Yeah, that's right, while lazy @rses like me were being "handed out" qualifications, Ruth and her mate were out there "go-getting" (lying about) theirs to climb the greasy pole.

We could do a whole thread on the British attitudes to Education!

i've had a couple of 'duvet days' this week as i recovered from a virus. in amongst the usual tripe there was an advert for debt consolidation which featured the strap line 'are you unhappy because you can't afford the things you want?'

this summed up everything in one succinct line which, as far as i'm concerned, is wrong with modern society... :(

i've had a couple of 'duvet days' this week as i recovered from a virus. in amongst the usual tripe there was an advert for debt consolidation which featured the strap line 'are you unhappy because you can't afford the things you want?'

this summed up everything in one succinct line which, as far as i'm concerned, is wrong with modern society... :(

Oh well, the more people get in debt, the better my shares do!

Edit: up 6% since yesterdays close ;)

Edited by OzzMosiz

We could do a whole thread on the British attitudes to Education!

I went to university in the UK where I was introduced to to the concept of 'blagging it' in group projects. :(

Off topic :

I agree completely.

I found Ruth's triumphant "We've only got 5 gcses between us" to be very depressing. I think its partly Alan Sugar's attitude who approves of this (since he also left school early), but where does it ultimately leave us? Style over substance, lies over honesty, ambition over knowledge.

The commentary of the Apprentice seemed to revel in educated people being humbled by these one dimensional aggressive sales rottweilers ("ohh, Mani has an MBA, but look how clueless he is. Ohh, look at Alexa, she studied economics at Cambridge, but can't figure out the right change").

No wonder Amstrad is a failing company, frankly.

Edited by tonification

The commentary of the Apprentice seemed to revel in educated people being humbled by these one dimensional aggressive sales rottweilers ("ohh, Mani has an MBA, but look how clueless he is. Ohh, look at Alexa, she studied economics at Cambridge, but can't figure out the right change").

I agree. To be fair, it is the flip side to the equally galling attitude of those that brandish their degrees as if they were absolute guarantees of quality. The reality is that universities rarely fail anyone and the amount of effort and understanding required to gain a degree can be minimal. Similarly the IT industry is full of useless gits with certificates coming out of their arses.

I agree. To be fair, it is the flip side to the equally galling attitude of those that brandish their degrees as if they were absolute guarantees of quality. The reality is that universities rarely fail anyone and the amount of effort and understanding required to gain a degree can be minimal. Similarly the IT industry is full of useless gits with certificates coming out of their arses.

If you were well qualified AND got the job done, then you'd already have a 100k job - you wouldn't need to apply for the program :D

At least it gets people thinking about work. Aggressive? Unintelligent? maybe. But also slightly glamourous with helicopters and nice hotels. And anyone can do it whatever you background. Even Alan Sugar!

Some people think working is for losers. This program proves even the talentless can be successful! All you have to do is work hard.

Must be better than programs about flipping properties.

I agree completely.

I found Ruth's triumphant "We've only got 5 gcses between us" to be very depressing. I think its partly Alan Sugar's attitude who approves of this (since he also left school early), but where does it ultimately leave us? Style over substance, lies over honesty, ambition over knowledge.

No wonder Amstrad is a failing company, frankly.

Complete and utter TRUTH. Oooh, llok at me, I don't have any qualifications but I am the best, the best, THE BEST!!! (Saliva flying wildly off the lips). Much better than idiots with qualifications.

These people confuse their frightening, insane ambition, reckless bullying and ability to intimidate other people...with real ability.

It is definitely true that the Alan Sugars of this world don't respect people with brains. As the owner of a technology company, he is apparently unable to appreciate the irony of his position. His great business success is built upon the patient and steady work of marching armies of mild mannered engineers...but this aspect of the work place (i.e. the actual WORK) is completely discounted by 'The Apprentice' in favour of the infinitely more important skills of being a bullying, psychotic f**king shark.

W*nkers. Mind you I quite like the blond one...she seems nice and not too OTT. The other girl who made the final is in my opinion a frightening harpy.

Kill 'em all.

Complete and utter TRUTH. Oooh, llok at me, I don't have any qualifications but I am the best, the best, THE BEST!!! (Saliva flying wildly off the lips). Much better than idiots with qualifications.

These people confuse their frightening, insane ambition, reckless bullying and ability to intimidate other people...with real ability.

It is definitely true that the Alan Sugars of this world don't respect people with brains. As the owner of a technology company, he is apparently unable to appreciate the irony of his position. His great business success is built upon the patient and steady work of marching armies of mild mannered engineers...but this aspect of the work place (i.e. the actual WORK) is completely discounted by 'The Apprentice' in favour of the infinitely more important skills of being a bullying, psychotic f**king shark.

W*nkers. Mind you I quite like the blond one...she seems nice and not too OTT. The other girl who made the final is in my opinion a frightening harpy.

Kill 'em all.

By the standards of the other reality programmes this is a good and worthy one. Of course that does not mean that you are going to get anything other than attention-seeking people trying to get on TV. But at least the challenges (eg the catering one) involved real work as well as merely the 'look at me I'm going to be famous' stuff.

Qualifications are important and deriding them is foolish. But surely this programme sends a good message overall and most of the people who do well on it are reasonable role models?

By the standards of the other reality programmes this is a good and worthy one. Of course that does not mean that you are going to get anything other than attention-seeking people trying to get on TV. But at least the challenges (eg the catering one) involved real work as well as merely the 'look at me I'm going to be famous' stuff.

Qualifications are important and deriding them is foolish. But surely this programme sends a good message overall and most of the people who do well on it are reasonable role models?

Apparantly Ruth has setup a text service where the winner wins dinner out with her. :unsure::blink: