House Price Crash Forum

How Many Seats Will Labour Lose This Week?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

To be honest given what happened in the last general election I don't think they will lose that many. Rather than using their vote to protest people simply won't turn up.

HOLA445

My guess is in excess of 300.

Tony Blair will have to throw in the towel then.

Any other guesses?

There are certainly rumours that Labour could easily lose that many across the country because some people were claiming they would lose 200 seats in London alone.

I don't agree though, there isn't as much angry feeling towards Labour as is being made out, this isn't the same situation that the Conservative party were in in 1997.

I would suggest that it is possible Labour could lose 70-90 seats in London and maybe 100-150 across the country. Not a huge change then but it would still cause Labour problems.

HOLA446
HOLA447

From Nick Robinson's weblog

The Tories have lost a seat on the length of a pencil!

After three recounts in Wheathampstead in St Albans, the Lib Dems and the Tories both had 1132. The result was decided by whoever picked the longest pencil - and the Lib Dems picked a longer one, taking it from the Tories.

But they won Crawley won on the strength of picking an envelope.

And that's democracy for you!

HOLA448
HOLA449

There are certainly rumours that Labour could easily lose that many across the country because some people were claiming they would lose 200 seats in London alone.

I don't agree though, there isn't as much angry feeling towards Labour as is being made out, this isn't the same situation that the Conservative party were in in 1997.

I would suggest that it is possible Labour could lose 70-90 seats in London and maybe 100-150 across the country. Not a huge change then but it would still cause Labour problems.

It seems you were wrong.

HOLA4410

Despite only losing 319 councillors, they lost control of 18 councils -- two more than predicted...

'Labour braced for heavy blow and 400 losses in local elections' [Thursday May 4th.]:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/localelecti...1766928,00.html

Labour expects to lose 400 councillors and control of 15-16 councils across England in local elections today.

The figures are significantly worse than officials had suggested only a week ago. A net loss of 400 seats -- with 4,361 seats up for grabs -- would represent a grievous blow and take the number of Labour councillors nationally down to around 6,000, the lowest figure since the 1980s.

From Nick Robinson's weblog

And that's democracy for you!

One can only hope that last comment was ironic.

A democratic election would count voter's second choice votes to determine which candidate had the most support.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Not as wrong as:

Dead Cat Bounce and

Jeff Ross

In fact in mathematically he was the closest to the actual 200 losses

I was actually refering to the comment:

I don't know many people are not angry towards Labour.

HOLA4416

Yes, I completely misunderstood your post, embarrassingly. As for, `how many people are not angry with the Labour party’. Didn’t we discuss this on an earlier thread? Elizabeth and Libitina certainly knew something and justifiably were unanimous about it.

HOLA4417

Well after watching GB with Andrew Marr this morning I'm of the opinion that he will make a perfectly good PM.

Why?

He managed the whole interview without answering a single question he was asked , all talk and no substance , class.

Dames

HOLA4418

Archived