House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
othello

London Evening Standard Property Supplement

Today I flicked through the ES property supplement - mainly advertising page after page of flats, new builds and conversions. What struck me was the complete frenzy that appears to have built up in this area of the market. So many, so expensive. I just thought that everybody has lost touch with reality. This bottom end of the market seems to be hideously over-priced. What I also noticed were whole blocks of flats being let out - large-scale property developers are now in the letting game. Perhaps they can't sell them? As for living in some of the places - I couldn't think of anything worse. I think they have all gone crazy. I was genuinely shocked. :o

I totally agree.

The one ad that made me laugh was the one on page 56 for the Barratt 'Centreway' development in Ilford town centre. 1 bed apartments from £199,995 (see http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/site.cfm?int...m?intDevID=251)

There are loads of these vile hideous tower blocks going up in that area - none with parking. Why anyone would buy one is beyond me as I have seen more appealing and better quality council tower blocks in Newham and Hackney! They will be the social housing of the future and the Council should be slaughtered for allowing them to blight Ilford!

Another thing - it says Ilford is 8 miles from Stratford by train - it should say 8 minutes. Crap research - crap flats!

Sorry - this link to Centreway should work!

http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/microsites/c...ay/homepage.htm

I totally agree.

The one ad that made me laugh was the one on page 56 for the Barratt 'Centreway' development in Ilford town centre. 1 bed apartments from £199,995

Another thing - it says Ilford is 8 miles from Stratford by train - it should say 8 minutes. Crap research - crap flats!

I know. I had to read the supplement again today, on the train, just to relive the horror! Did anyone see the adverts for repossession properties; and what about those around the country at discounts of 15, 17 ans 18%!! Looks like a crash to me.

There are loads of these vile hideous tower blocks going up in that area - none with parking. Why anyone would buy one is beyond me as I have seen more appealing and better quality council tower blocks in Newham and Hackney! They will be the social housing of the future and the Council should be slaughtered for allowing them to blight Ilford!

I think it says it all when two of the pictures on the specifications page show (1) a shiney saucepan, and (2) some wine glasses....what these have to do with the flat is beyond me

I think it says it all when two of the pictures on the specifications page show (1) a shiney saucepan, and (2) some wine glasses....what these have to do with the flat is beyond me

Yes, rarely a mention of size, location etc. They think people must be stupid - which they are.

There was a book called freakonomics that had a few interesting things to say.

The most relevant bit was a statistical analysis of house prices, asking prices and the terminology used in adverts - basically saying that the adverts with the least 'bumpf' wording (fabulous, amazing, bargain, great etc) did less well than the pure descriptive ones - and that particularly the estate agents own properties avoided the bumpf like the plague.

Reading the standard it was hard to read between the ******** - the staples were in the way...

Do they come with the flat? If so, I am going to book an appointment with SiTA tomorrow. Oh baby, I want that house.

What I also noticed were whole blocks of flats being let out - large-scale property developers are now in the letting game. Perhaps they can't sell them? As for living in some of the places - I couldn't think of anything worse. I think they have all gone crazy. I was genuinely shocked. :o

I saw that article and tohught it was a sign of the new-build bubble reaching unsustainable proportions. For a start if the developers are building purely to let then they are adding to the flood of rentals. And secondly if this happens a lot they will comfortably be able to undercut the BTLs who bought flats from them because their costs are way lower. Even by cutting rents by 5% or so they could increase theie chances of 100% occupancy, but that would screw the local BTLs who don't have any leeway at all.

I could be wrong but I thought it was a sign of bumpy times ahead for new-builds.

Today I flicked through the ES property supplement - mainly advertising page after page of flats, new builds and conversions. What struck me was the complete frenzy that appears to have built up in this area of the market. So many, so expensive. I just thought that everybody has lost touch with reality. This bottom end of the market seems to be hideously over-priced. What I also noticed were whole blocks of flats being let out - large-scale property developers are now in the letting game. Perhaps they can't sell them? As for living in some of the places - I couldn't think of anything worse. I think they have all gone crazy. I was genuinely shocked. :o

Strange that, I must have posted the exact same thoughts about 3 weeks ago. Sister in law came to visit us up North and brought the supplement with her, I was gobsmacked at the volume of property for sale and I often travel there and get the paper.

Guest Bart of Darkness

The one ad that made me laugh was the one on page 56 for the Barratt 'Centreway' development in Ilford town centre. 1 bed apartments from £199,995 (see http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/site.cfm?int...m?intDevID=251)

It really is nothing more than a tower block. Perhaps they used a night shot to make it more look dramatic and "exciting" but on a foggy monday morning in the middle of winter it'll look exactly like what it is.

It really is nothing more than a tower block. Perhaps they used a night shot to make it more look dramatic and "exciting" but on a foggy monday morning in the middle of winter it'll look exactly like what it is.

The only way they could make it look more "exciting" is to set fire to it.