House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Waiting Patiently

Todays Mail Letters : "let House Prices Collapse"......

Interesting letter in todays Daily Mail from a reader from Chorley, Lancs ...........

Home Truths

As a homeowner and the father of two teenage boys, this is my advice to parents who are thinking of helping their children onto the property ladder.

All you will be doing is adding fuel to an already grossly overheated market.

It would be far better to take first-time buyers out of the market altogether, so prices collapse, as they did in the late Eighties. Then our children can buy homes without being saddled with huge mortgage payments.

Well said sir B)

Interesting letter in todays Daily Mail from a reader from Chorley, Lancs ...........

Well said sir B)

Well said indeed, but it is a little simplistic. FTBs are already largely out of the equation; landlords have largely filled the void at the lower end of the market.

The writer of this letter assumes that withholding FTBs will be enough; I doubt it will in isolation. Again, the market has proved remarkably resilient.

On the plus side, at least the Daily Mail set are starting to realise that soaring house prices aren't always good news.

Hear, hear that man. Lets hope his sound advice is heeded..

Well said indeed, but it is a little simplistic. FTBs are already largely out of the equation; landlords have largely filled the void at the lower end of the market.

The writer of this letter assumes that withholding FTBs will be enough; I doubt it will in isolation. Again, the market has proved remarkably resilient.

On the plus side, at least the Daily Mail set are starting to realise that soaring house prices aren't always good news.

Landlords leaving the property market will have much the same effect when they realise they are losing shedloads of cash. Sentiment is king..

You would only have to remove 10-20% of demand at the bottom to bring prices crashing down.

Landlords leaving the property market will have much the same effect when they realise they are losing shedloads of cash. Sentiment is king..

Wish it was that simple; if it had been, the market would have buckled 12 months ago. Too many still take the "in it for the long term / pension" view. Landlords will have to feel the pain before they sell up, which brings us back to interest rate rises and worsening economic conditions

QUOTE(Badger @ May 3 2006, 01:01 PM)

Wish it was that simple; if it had been, the market would have buckled 12 months ago. Too many still take the "in it for the long term / pension" view. Landlords will have to feel the pain before they sell up, which brings us back to interest rate rises and worsening economic conditions

? :huh:

So you are in total agreement, once the speculators "feel the pain"= "realise they are losing shedloads of cash" they will sell up. B)

Edited by Flat Bear

Although I agree with you there is a desperate push on these co/joint/shared/parent guarantor ownership agreements which would help cushion the blows for lenders etc. Fortunately the take up is next to zero according to All&Leics amongst others.

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...articlekey=1785

Ha, I hope he realises "as a homeowner" that's going to impact his own home as well.

Why should he care? The only people who benefit from high house prices are those who can sell up without having to buy another house in the UK. If he wants to move up to a bigger house, he'll be better off if prices crash.

Ha, I hope he realises "as a homeowner" that's going to impact his own home as well.

Yes it will.....he won't have his sons living with him till they are in their 40's. Then again maybe he would like that.

Yes it will.....he won't have his sons living with him till they are in their 40's. Then again maybe he would like that.

But this really hits the nail on the head. First time buyers: STAY OUT OF THE MARKET. Go on strike.

But this really hits the nail on the head. First time buyers: STAY OUT OF THE MARKET. Go on strike.

Yes please, stay out. See how far out of your reach when you try and get back in (cue death threats from the STR brigade) Guys like myself shall purchase all the decent starter type homes to let them.

Totally agree with the sentiment of not giving your children money to get them on the ladder. I have already decided not to do that with my daughter, and she's only 4 weeks old.

I'll just give her a house instead :D

Yes please, stay out. See how far out of your reach when you try and get back in (cue death threats from the STR brigade) Guys like myself shall purchase all the decent starter type homes to let them.

Totally agree with the sentiment of not giving your children money to get them on the ladder. I have already decided not to do that with my daughter, and she's only 4 weeks old.

Christ; you're the smuggest person in the world!

I bet you wish you could give your-self a BJ for being so great don't ya!

Edited by bandylegs

Christ; you're the smuggest person in the world!

I bet you wish you could give your-self a BJ for being so great don't ya!

Wahey!!! TOO easy :lol:

People love to tell their tale of woe, what the hell, that was a little piece of the other side. So be nice; she may end up your kids landlord (or yours :lol::lol: )

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

*Sigh*

Yes, all us FTB's have missed the boat - hmm.

Although, it continues to make no sense to me that's the case. If I make a reasonable living, have thousands in the bank and I should be able to afford to buy a home without resorting to a ridiculous multiple of my salary. It also shouldn't be dependent on whether I bought six or seven years ago.

Bleed your parents dry, live on almost nothing. It seems very like economic slavery to me.

People continue to talk about the link between earnings and houseprices being broken but again that makes no sense. That FTB's should face up to the fact that they have to pay a lot more for a house.

What sort of quality of life do you have when the majority of your earnings goes to pay off a home?

Have we seen an insurmountable distribution of wealth? Is that even possible?

I continue to be Baffled_by_it_all

That's right, he may well have them living with him until they are in their 50's. Let's face it, the only people who are going to prosper in the event of an hpc will be the people that are cash buyers and I doubt his sons will be in that kind of a position.

Being serious for a second, I agree with you wholeheartedly Kitten. Trouble is, those are facts from the other side of the coin that way,.way to many people on here gloss over, while peddling some dream that they’ll get a lovely home for 3xSalary.

‘Course you will sweetheart. And the TV will shut down at 11o’clock, and Bullseye will be a top 10 rated show. Get the plans for that time machine off the internet did we??

Seriously, you cant turn the clock back. Things have changed. I’d do my best and get used to them.

Found them, the "guys" (and gals) who will be the sad victims of this coming depression. We should feel sad for them. We should call them silly-g people (i take it the g stands for gullible?) Bet they will wish they could turn the clock back

Edited by Flat Bear

Found them, the "guys" (and gals) who will be the sad victims of this coming depression. We should feel sad for them. We should call them silly-g people (i take it the g stands for gullible?) Bet they will wish they could turn the clock back

Lol, fantastic. That’s the second bite! WAY to easy.

As for the “Sad Victims” part; sorry fella, I have a mortgage on my main property which I live in, and only on 2 properties held within the letting business. The rest of them are completely debt free. Snowballing debt is a great way to do it, and thats one of the ways I did it.

So, how’s that “victim” thing work again?

I'll just give her a house instead

you wish.

your likely to be bankrupted for life.

there is no free lunch and you know it deep down.

hence - your presence here on this forum.

Being serious for a second, I agree with you wholeheartedly Kitten. Trouble is, those are facts from the other side of the coin that way,.way to many people on here gloss over, while peddling some dream that they’ll get a lovely home for 3xSalary.

‘Course you will sweetheart. And the TV will shut down at 11o’clock, and Bullseye will be a top 10 rated show. Get the plans for that time machine off the internet did we??

Seriously, you cant turn the clock back. Things have changed. I’d do my best and get used to them.

I disagree. The average Jo in the UK has been utterly CONNED by the Vested Interests into buying into the biggest ever pyramid selling scam - the uk housing "market" - which has been systematically rigged by the moneylenders, particularly in the last 10 years.

First Time Buyers are being blackmailed and conned - pushed to the very limit and beyond by the Vested Interests who not only control house building and selling and all associated industries and trade - and also feed the media machine with endless drivel via tv programmes of all kinds - and also the press with thousands of property supplements etc. all giving one message - "Buy now and INVEST" - BUT THEY ARE ALSO THE MONEYLENDERS to the potential FTB - whos are forced relentessly into the corner to pay out everyting they can and more for a little tiny box to live in. This has never hapenned to such an extent before. The moneylenders are in bed with the housebuilders and Estate Agents - They all make up the vested interests who operate the most sophisticated PR machine you could ever imagine - delivering the all consuming omnipresent message - "BUY HOUSE INVEST IN PROPERTY LAST CHANCE" etc etc. And so the market is rigged.

This is what I've said for 2 years now.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...47entry152647

Edited by eric pebble