House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Time To Sell If You Are In High Wycombe Area

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/local...ouse_prices.php

Rail plan could hit house prices

THOUSANDS of people living close to the railway could see their house price tumble if a plan to take hundreds of extra freight trains through High Wycombe gathers steam.
Central Railway has said it wants to relaunch a £10million bid to take lorry trailers from Liverpool to the Channel Tunnel, passing through High Wycombe on route.
Central Railway thinks the freight service would take five million lorry journeys off Britain's roads each year.

If memory serves me correctly--don't we have a property bull who lives in this area? :)

God, I hated High Wycombe. *shudders*

I doubt the trains alone would affect prices there, too many people live there and commute to London.

The numbers don't stack up. If you assume 80 lorry trailers on a train (3 per flatbed and 27 per trainload) (it's actually less) you get to 5million divided by 80, which is 62,500 train journeys a year, that's 171 a day every day of the year, or one every 7 minutes - just does not stack up. At most, it will be 5 trains a day each way on that route, each takes less than a minute to pass and there's no capacity for more because of the passenger timetabling on the line, so in reality are you not going to be a house because of 5 extra trains a day, when you already get say 60 a day pass through ?

Sorry to be a trainspotter.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/local...ouse_prices.php

Rail plan could hit house prices

THOUSANDS of people living close to the railway could see their house price tumble if a plan to take hundreds of extra freight trains through High Wycombe gathers steam.
Central Railway has said it wants to relaunch a £10million bid to take lorry trailers from Liverpool to the Channel Tunnel, passing through High Wycombe on route.
Central Railway thinks the freight service would take five million lorry journeys off Britain's roads each year.

If memory serves me correctly--don't we have a property bull who lives in this area? :)

In my opinion, living next to a train track would be worse than living under a flight path.

And those freight trains are even noisier than passenger trains. I wonder if the government will slap a new tax on freight train use to compensate for lose of tax on lorries?

Your not trainspotting, your just analysing the facts presented to you by the media.

Something many on this site do with zeal. Unfortunately though, and this is not a pop at Realistbear, its only ever if its a bull story does it get analyzed. Anything remotely bear gets a red carpet welcome and a glass of Verve Cliquot stuck in its hand.

Edited by billy-g

*points and laughs at the trainspotter* :P;)

I am not, I was just wearing an anorak on platform one at Crewe drinking from a tartan flask and writing down girls' numbers in my notebook - honest...... :)

God, I hated High Wycombe. *shudders*

I doubt the trains alone would affect prices there, too many people live there and commute to London.

Come on libi The Antellope is a good boozer, or were you more The Firkin? :unsure:

Come on libi The Antellope is a good boozer, or were you more The Firkin? :unsure:

We drank on camp, much cheaper and not as far to stagger :lol:

You mean people live in High Wycombe?

A friend got a job there once and only lasted six months before he tried to off himself.

We drank on camp, much cheaper and not as far to stagger :lol:

Didnt like the Union myself when I drank there, full of wannbe pimps, gangsters, and post whores. :rolleyes:

Hey Shakerbaby & Libitina, you were BCUC students too!!! I liked the Antelope best, open all hours!! The Littertray was always buzzing with all the wrong sorts and the Firkin was an s-hole, but I had many good nights at the Union (now White Room).

Forgive me - doesn't everyone who's living next to the railway track, know that they're living next to a (already busy) railway track? (And factor this into the price accordingly?)

I was at Wycombe college years ago. The Union was a Porta Cabin in those days. It was so grotty they had do on and half the students in the place went through the floor it was so rotten with spilt beer. :D

Happy Days :lol:

Hey Shakerbaby & Libitina, you were BCUC students too!!! I liked the Antelope best, open all hours!! The Littertray was always buzzing with all the wrong sorts and the Firkin was an s-hole, but I had many good nights at the Union (now White Room).

Nope not quite! We were stationed at Walters Ash ;)

No sorry I wasnt a student there I just frequented the Union occassionally. I was always in the Antelope drunkenly banging my head on the f***in ceiling or getting banned for misbehaving* :angry:

*they always let me back in a week or so later

Edited by shakerbaby

In my opinion, living next to a train track would be worse than living under a flight path.

And those freight trains are even noisier than passenger trains. I wonder if the government will slap a new tax on freight train use to compensate for lose of tax on lorries?

Since the government heavily subsidise the rail infrastructure taxing freight trains would be little daft. To meet Kyoto obligations it has to at least try to move frieght to rail and this has been happening a bit. One freight train is less noisy than the, say, 50 lorries it replaces. And it is a lot less likely to kill you (HGVs cause carnage, for more so per vehicle even than cars).

Have to say sold a flat last 2004 just outside London Bridge station 1500 train movements a day past our back window. The amazing thing was that I oculd be in the flat for hours and not notice the noise of the trains until I actually looked at one, (there was double glazing of course). Quite miss them now! I cant imagine a few freight trains is going to make much of a difference.

If you think these lorries will leave Liverpool, with their stock intact, then you are sadly mistaken!!!

They would get to the M6, realise that it feels light, and turn back to 'Kenny' market! :)

TB

Guest Winners and Losers

If you think these lorries will leave Liverpool, with their stock intact, then you are sadly mistaken!!!

They would get to the M6, realise that it feels light, and turn back to 'Kenny' market! :)

TB

Just what exactly are you trying to tell us TB? :unsure::ph34r: