House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Bird Flu Arrives In U S --possible "wild Card" In Economy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060501/us_nm/...lu_newjersey_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Authorities have discovered a mild form of avian influenza at a live bird market in New Jersey, but it is not the deadly H5N1 strain governments around the world are trying to contain, the state's agriculture department said.

Now this I really do not understand.

This is just like the flu found in Norfolk. It is not H5N1 so it is not a problem.

I don't understand why every incidence of bird flu is being reported rather than just incidences of H5N1.

Birds get illnesses all the time, they certainly get influenza viruses all the time, it really does not warrant any such panic.

This is just like the media reporting human influenza as though it is the beginnings of a pandemic when really it is just the normal strain of influenza that is harmless.

This bothers me a lot. Why report normal influenza in this way?

Even more worrying was the New Scientist report which pointed out that government tests showing that UK poultry showed no signs of any influenza at all were worrying because one would expect to find some form of influenza in poultry normally. The fact that no strain at all was found suggests that there is something very wrong with the results.

Mind you sheeple probably can't tell the difference between normal influenza (in birds or humans) and pandemic influenza which is entirely different, if they could they wouldn't be demanding the flu jab (which provides no protection against a pandemic flu strain that hasn't even emerged yet.).

Now this I really do not understand.

This is just like the flu found in Norfolk. It is not H5N1 so it is not a problem.

I don't understand why every incidence of bird flu is being reported rather than just incidences of H5N1.

Birds get illnesses all the time, they certainly get influenza viruses all the time, it really does not warrant any such panic.

This is just like the media reporting human influenza as though it is the beginnings of a pandemic when really it is just the normal strain of influenza that is harmless.

This bothers me a lot. Why report normal influenza in this way?

Even more worrying was the New Scientist report which pointed out that government tests showing that UK poultry showed no signs of any influenza at all were worrying because one would expect to find some form of influenza in poultry normally. The fact that no strain at all was found suggests that there is something very wrong with the results.

Mind you sheeple probably can't tell the difference between normal influenza (in birds or humans) and pandemic influenza which is entirely different, if they could they wouldn't be demanding the flu jab (which provides no protection against a pandemic flu strain that hasn't even emerged yet.).

People are jumpy. The press love these kinds of stories and markets can react to them, even if they have no substance. "Buy on the rumour and sell on the news etc."

we've had a lot of these scares recently.

...but does anyone remember the story of "the boy who cried wolf"

...when it REALLY WAS about to happen they had got so used to his bleating they ignored him.

I for one think that there is a strong possibility that this one will mature into something nasty...simply because all the last scares like SARS didn't!

...oh and it's a good way of wiping out infirm people just after a big war(re:1918)....middle east anybody??

we've had a lot of these scares recently.

...but does anyone remember the story of "the boy who cried wolf"

...when it REALLY WAS about to happen they had got so used to his bleating they ignored him.

I for one think that there is a strong possibility that this one will mature into something nasty...simply because all the last scares like SARS didn't!

...oh and it's a good way of wiping out infirm people just after a big war(re:1918)....middle east anybody??

The problem with bird flu is that it hit the 20-30's much harder than the older generation that had built up more immunities over the years. The drug companies are investing a lot of money in research which suggests that they expect a mutation to present a danger of human to human transmission.

The problem with bird flu is that it hit the 20-30's much harder than the older generation that had built up more immunities over the years. The drug companies are investing a lot of money in research which suggests that they expect a mutation to present a danger of human to human transmission.

agreed....but last time around life expectancy was mid 40's for most.

teens and 20's were killed in the war.

travel was not as easily available.

...potentially this one will be WORSE as the transmission systems are quicker,but the end result will be those with respiratory conditions,lack of medical care,or elderly will perish....not to mention the population growth since then.....I'm pretty sure the world population has at least doubled since ww1.