House Price Crash Forum

I write as a lurker, then a contributor and more recently a lurker again.

Just a thought...

We have had posts on the generation gap (under 40s priced out) and also a growing racist tendency on this board. I humbly suggest that the smug 'bought in time' generation (of which I am one) are blithely unaware of the dangerous discontent that HPI has fostered amongst some of the 'didnt buy in time' generation.

There are some undercurrents around at the moment that are very worrying. Just listen out in the pub / on the bus etc.

Unless of course you don't get the bus, don't go to the pub and have removed yourself from the reality of downmarket urban uk 2006.

I'm 34. I have definitely taken a 'duck and cover' attitude to the world around me, which does seem increasingly alien. By this I do not mean immigrants, but the spiky-haired dandies that like to congregate and bray insincere self-aggrandising crap at each other rather than converse.

As I have said before, I might buy a boat. You'd be amazed what you can get for the equivalent of a crappy flat - luxury living you can blast to Cannes in.

i havent heard any racist talk on here

i would be the first to complain about racist talk

please stop confusing racist with anti-immigration

Guest Baffled_by_it_all

There has been some tacit support for the BNP.

Personally I think they're a one-note joke of a party using the immigration issue to sneak into power. Scratch the surface and they're basically a bunch of suited nazis.

Sensible immigration policies are one thing. But letting those thugs sneak into power is something else.

Just a thought...

We have had posts on the generation gap (under 40s priced out) and also a growing racist tendency on this board. I humbly suggest that the smug 'bought in time' generation (of which I am one) are blithely unaware of the dangerous discontent that HPI has fostered amongst some of the 'didnt buy in time' generation.

There are some undercurrents around at the moment that are very worrying. Just listen out in the pub / on the bus etc.

Unless of course you don't get the bus, don't go to the pub and have removed yourself from the reality of downmarket urban uk 2006.

I have wondered what sort of reaction I would get if there were to be a crash, and I was to stand at the bar harpin' on about how brilliant it is for me now prices are coming down, in the same sort of manner that I have been on the receiving end of price boom banter.

I suspect tantrums would be immediate, if I didn't just get decked.

Who is confused?

I am very anti immigrant. I am sick to death of all these aussies, south africans and new zealanders that come over here and work in Foxtons. They add nothing to our culture, drive up houseprices, and then go back home.

:D (joking...)

I am also concerned at the influx of russians with dodgy cash

However I welcome the immigration from the Indian sub continent which changed our culture in two ways. Firstly it brought us the open all hours corner shop and secondly brought us the curry, which has become as much part of our culture as fish and chips.

England before immigration was a boring place.

On the other hand, I do think there is a debate to be had about the current immigration policies and the rise of the asylum seeker, a term unheard of a decade ago.

Edited by paradox

Just a thought...

That's the problem when the gap between the have and the have not's gets too big - people start to feel discontented and look for people to vent their frustration on.

Went through a similar thing myself when i first came out of uni and started on a £11k per year job.

IMHO blame is often directed at people when it should be directed at the system.

Who is confused?

I am very anti immigrant. I am sick to death of all these aussies, south africans and new zealanders that come over here and work in Foxtons. They add nothing to our culture, drive up houseprices, and then go back home.

I am also concerned at the influx of russians with dodgy cash

However I welcome the immigration from the Indian sub continent which changed our culture in two ways. Firstly it brought us the open all hours corner shop and secondly brought us the curry, which has become as much part of our culture as fish and chips.

England before immigration was a boring place.

On the other hand, I do think there is a debate to be had about the current immigration policies and the rise of the asylum seeker, a term unheard of a decade ago.

now your the racist one, your making comparisons on culture and country background to the positive or negative.

now thats racist

the trouble with immigration is not the fact some happens its the mass type weve been getting thats the problem. tony blair screams this is fine and instills in the public that complain about it is racist.But the public aint so stupid.

if you go around changing the culture of towns and the whole country its obvious your gonna get people that dont like it.

the american indians never liked it when the white man came into there country

the french didint like it when the germans came into there country

the south africans didint like it when the whites came into there country

so on and so on

its an invasion by any other name

the thing that realy annoys me is that people that often call me a racist, many times cite these things above as reason why it should then be ok here.ie we brits have been invading everywhere, so why not us get invaded too.

what a pathetic argument

if this continues we will basically have aparthied in the uk, you may laugh but once it reaches a majority do you realy think asians here will then not use there vote to have there way of life above our own?

your mads if you dont think this

by the way 25% of all chilkdren now born in the uk are from foriegn born mothers

so its not as far off as you think.

but i believe it is still not too far gone yet and worth fighting to stop before it is

Edited by homeless

Guest Winners and Losers

Sorry I thought this was a thread about a particular poster. :lol:

I'm surprised you possess such vision as to recognise yourself. :rolleyes:

I have wondered what sort of reaction I would get if there were to be a crash, and I was to stand at the bar harpin' on about how brilliant it is for me now prices are coming down, in the same sort of manner that I have been on the receiving end of price boom banter.

I suspect tantrums would be immediate, if I didn't just get decked.

well summarised!! SPOT ON!

I humbly suggest that the smug 'bought in time' generation (of which I am one) are blithely unaware of the dangerous discontent that HPI has fostered amongst some of the 'didnt buy in time' generation.

I think you're right, partly. I do think they are unaware, but I also think they: [a] don't care, as they are "all right, Jack", and don't really think the numbers through, as if they were a FTB themselves or trying to trade up the ladder.

As someone who is under 40 and finding it very difficult to trade up the ladder (we have children), I get really pi$$ed off talking to over 40s who are so smug, as if they somehow think they are much better than us "young ones" and that the only reason they are now sitting in houses worth £400k or more, which I can't possibly afford to buy, is because they are clever! They totally ignore the fact that I am far better qualified (proper degree from proper university, not mickey mouse, and prof quals too), with a far better career, with a far higher salary and being far more sensible with my money, than them - yet still can not possibly afford to buy a house like theirs. Yet still they think they are oh so clever, important and better than me. They are not, just as I am no better than them - if we work hard we ALL should be able to afford to buy a decent home.

Yes, I find it really does wind me up, to the extent that I now try and avoid those people, as they are always asking me why I haven't bought a nice family home yet (I do explain, but it falls on deaf ears) - particularly the person who commented recently to me on "what good value" houses are at the moment!!

now your the racist one, your making comparisons on culture and country background to the positive or negative.

now thats racist

the trouble with immigration is not the fact some happens its the mass type weve been getting thats the problem.This tony blair screams is fine and instills in the public to complain about it is racist.But the public aint so stupid.

if you go around changing the culture of towns and the whole country its obvious your gonna get people that dont like it.

the american indians never liked it when the white man came into there country

the french didint like it when the germans came into there country

the south africans didint like it when the whites came into there country

so on and so on

its an invasion by any other name

the thing that realy annoys me is that people that often call me a racist, many times cite these things above as reason why it should then be ok here.ie we brits have been invading everywhere, so why not us get invaded too.

what a pathetic argument

if this continues we will basically have aparthied in the uk, you may laugh but once it reaches a majority do you realy think asians here will then not use there vote to have there way of life above our own?

your mads if you dont think this

by the way 25% of all chilkdren now born in the uk are from foriegn born mothers

so its not as far off as you think.

but i believe it is still not too far gone yet and worth fighting to stop before it is

I could't agree more. The way the aussies transformed Earl's Court in the 1980's really pissed me off. And what about the Irish and the way that they took over parts of West London. And whilst I am on the subject, have you been to Golders Green - it is all Jewish. And another thing, I get the distinct impression that there are thousands and thousands of Scots down here, with their awful whisky. My God, can you imagine it, we might even have some none English blood in us and not even be aware of it.

I swear, if I discover a drop of impure blood in me, I shall cut off my limbs in the direct proportion to my impurity...just to restore the balance.

Finally, have you ever been to the US? I heard that 99% of the population are immigrants!!!! and someone told me that this occured over the space of a couple of hundred years!!

Were doomed.

Edited by paradox

particularly the person who commented recently to me on "what good value" houses are at the moment!!

About as good value as a return ticket to Leeds in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Guest Winners and Losers

About as good value as a return ticket to Leeds in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Or a return ticket to Glasgow for that matter. :rolleyes:

A return ticket to London is probably better value. :unsure:

Who asked your opinion anyway???

Edited by Winners and Losers

Or a return ticket to Glasgow for that matter. :rolleyes:

A return ticket to London is probably better value. :unsure:

Only if you're in London to start with!

Actually, we are doomed.

The problem is, my dear homeless, that the whole of human history has been one of migration. We migrated out of Africa to Egypt and from their we dispersed throughout the globe.

We didn't even reach blighty until late on, and then we came in waves of migrations. Celts, Angles, Scots, Saxons, Danes, Dutch, Gauls, Jews, Jamaicans.

That is just the way the world is. From time to time nutters will try to stop the clock. Stop NOW they say, I like it just like it is.

But you cant stop the clock, we are all mongrels and we will always move around.

I accept it can be difficult to accept, as civilizations and cultures rise and fall, but there is nothing we can or should do about it.

The 1950s will never return, however much Alf Garnett might moan.

My advice to you is this - if you are fed up with immigration - emigrate !

(that is what I plan to do anyway)

:D

Guest Winners and Losers

Only if you're in London to start with!

Trust me on this one FG. ;)

Edited by Winners and Losers

My God, can you imagine it, we might even have some none English blood in us and not even be aware of it...

Well said.

Who is confused?

:D (joking...)

On the other hand, I actually completely agree with your statement about the Antipodean invasion.

Actually, we are doomed.

The problem is, my dear homeless, that the whole of human history has been one of migration. We migrated out of Africa to Egypt and from their we dispersed throughout the globe.

We didn't even reach blighty until late on, and then we came in waves of migrations. Celts, Angles, Scots, Saxons, Danes, Dutch, Gauls, Jews, Jamaicans.

That is just the way the world is. From time to time nutters will try to stop the clock. Stop NOW they say, I like it just like it is.

But you cant stop the clock, we are all mongrels and we will always move around.

I accept it can be difficult to accept, as civilizations and cultures rise and fall, but there is nothing we can or should do about it.

I do not think that immigration is bad thing, not that in this era we can hardly expect it to stop or return to the 1950s. However, the "we are all from Arfica and Britain is an island so we are just a nation of immigrants populated by anyone with a boat" line and the current rate of immigration, running at about 350,000 a year, are not 2 sides of the same coin.

Up until the Carribean and asian immigration of 30-odd years ago, the last serious wave of immigration had been the vikings, 800 years earlier. Despite causing trouble on arrival, they were largely assimilated (one of my best friends is called Anderson - typical viking!). In the last decade, immigration has again accelerated and seeing it from London, I would think a fairly small percentage are from the EU. God knows how they get there visas.

It is perfectly valid to ask a population how much and what king of immigration it wants and it is not racist to think so. Some will sacrifice a little bit of economic growth for less drastic change and it is up to the population to make up its own mind collecively.

It is untrue to say that a country cannot limit immigration - Japan has done so very successfully, with the support of its population, and has remained the world's 2nd largest economy.

Edited by Ah-so

Actually, we are doomed.

(that is what I plan to do anyway)

stop making sense!

you're right - the wholesale anti-immigration stance is not only myopic, but it is also analogous to the "pull the ladder up from beneath you once you're on" attitude that the boomer generation are frequently accused of having.

not that I am making any claims as to the veracity of the latter view. :ph34r:

We know that you are a member of the BNP, homeless, resistance is useless.

And Paradox, what kind of weird accusation is this you're levelling at us? Racists do visit the forum, as do sexists and tories, but there's an equal number at least of HPCers who always wade in to counter their views. The fact that people of all backgrounds post on here is one of the forum's strengths - I don't know if the mods have ever censored posts that incite racial hatred or anything like that but feel sure that they wouldn't let dangerous posts of that nature through.

But your thread seems like some tricksy little way of changing the subject, somehow. What, now we, 'the ones who didn't buy in time' (cos that's what it's about) - we're a bunch of dangerous losers who might start the revolution? And you, 'the people who bought in time' (oh your wisdom and judgement, tell us your secrets), are the 'let them eat cake' aristos who are going to be forced to rue your decadent ways? I mean, there's a grain of truth in it, but it's a very fanciful spin on things. Aren't you just trying to reframe the fact that there's been a vast boom and there's going to be a huge bust (calm down shakerbaby) that might affect you very badly? I'm not really saying it but there's something odd about your post.

It's more like our noble administration scaremongering and sinking to new depths with vapid reasoning simply to drag in a few discontented supporters, so in that context I wouldn't worry about it. However, the UK will face problems thanks to the very skewed and flawed model we operate, working migrant labour to the bone without any sort of protection is simply one element of this.