House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DonnieDarker

Retail In London...anecdotal

There are an awful lot of empty retail shells on Tottenham Court Road and the east side of Oxford Street...seem to be a lot of businesses either going out of business there or simply relocating and noone filling the sites.

There are an awful lot of empty retail shells on Tottenham Court Road and the east side of Oxford Street...seem to be a lot of businesses either going out of business there or simply relocating and noone filling the sites.

There's a whole row of them south of habitat on the east side of TCR but I think this is just because the buildling they're in is going to be redeveloped - probably into a whole load more shops.

Edited by FirstTimeBonkers

It's the same up here in the North. My local High street has about 1/3 of the shops empty :o

Tho if you have seen the Financial Mail this morning the main headline was about how commercial property rents are falling, due to the voids - Of course this will never happen to residential letting :P

There's a whole row of them south of habitat on the east side of TCR but I think this is just because the buildling they're in is going to be redeveloped - probably into a whole load more shops.

On Kensington Church Street there's a really high number of empty shops. Some of them have repossession orders on them. Interestingly two new openers are... letting agents.

As a sales agent to retail outlets I am amazed that so many have hung on.Daily I hear tales of doom and gloom.This really started last year,but has seemed to have got worse as christmas sales did`nt really happen leaving retailers with un-sold stock so therefore they bills that they are struggling with.

In conversation,some of my customers are mewing or borrowing just to keep their business running.

Has anyone been around theor local shopping centres this weekend? Where they busy? I read somewhere that the roads had been quiter than expected due to bad weather, so maybe people went shopping instead...?

We hit Tescos at 7.30am yesterday, but that's all. Was fairly busy, but not suprisingly so.

Has anyone been around theor local shopping centres this weekend? Where they busy? I read somewhere that the roads had been quieter than expected due to bad weather, so maybe people went shopping instead...?

We hit Tescos at 7.30am yesterday, but that's all. Was fairly busy, but not suprisingly so.

Tescos? Didn't you work for the opposition? Such loyalty to the employer!! :D

Or do you know something we don't about ASDA's product? :o

Edited by ajh

Tescos? Didn't you work for the opposition? Such loyalty to the employer!! :D

Or do you know something we don't about ASDA's product? :o

I still work for Asda but they didn't open until 8.30 and I didn't have the time to go later, what with Saturday morning clubs and sprogs sleepover. :)

Edited by libitina

I was out and about shopping with Mrs FTBagain yesterday in Bath. The place seemed pretty busy <_< . So I started to take note of what people were carrying. Mostly NOTHING :P . There were a few with big shopping bags and the ladies in Laura Ashley were still pushing and shoving, but the queues at the check out were small enough.

I got the vague impression that the desire to shop was still there, but many were holding back.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I got the vague impression that the desire to shop was still there

Like some sort of Pavlovian conditioning? Even when there's no money to spend they will go through the routine anyway.

i went to a car boot in blackpool today. it was cold. bargains were there, but it all ended sadly when someone got knocked over and killed crossing the main road into it.

there lay an adult body covered in a tarpaulin by the side of the road.

very sad. couldnt work out if they had been rushing to buy the bargains after looking forward to it with their little pennies, or coming back with dreams of giving gifts and unwrapping trinkets at home.

eitherway. i looked at my SEM tatoo and realised it is so right.

god rest that persons soul. a great shame and very sad. someone somewhere tonight is hurting.

Edited by right_freds_dead

he should have took a stand.

They had come out of the closet and balance the two-legged stool, even the banks said they put in a wooden performance. However, the shop still managed to exhibit a veneer of success, but on close inspection it was unmistakably flaking around the edges. The business rates were blistering, it was as if somebody had shut their fingers in the draw, and the men from the revenue were as thick as two short planks, they used a hammer to crack a mahogany and chestnut. In the end they were screwed.

It's the same up here in the North. My local High street has about 1/3 of the shops empty :o

Tho if you have seen the Financial Mail this morning the main headline was about how commercial property rents are falling, due to the voids - Of course this will never happen to residential letting :P

We had 2 cracking shops on an industrial estate in Hunts Cross Liverpool - A great furniture shop that was handcrafted and a BRIC-A-BRAC shop that was excellent. Always had the things that you dont find elsewhere.

ONE IS SHUT and the other is SHUTTING next week becuase..... they are putting the rent up. They told them to f*ck off - they wont pay it. So they have left. These units will stand empty now FOREVER because of greed. The bric-a-brac shop had very small profit margins and the furniture shop was a local craftsman. So greed has put these honest people out of business!!!!

WELL DONE YOU GREEDY C*NTS!!!

TB

It seems to me that unless your a corporate then anyone owning property wants to f*ck you over. I hope the units get torn down. There is still a JJB and a Matalan ther - I guess they will both leave the estate in the next 6 months unless their clout made them exempt from the rises.