House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dom

Veg Chat.

Any of you lot interested in growing your own food?

Been doing it best part of ten years.

I appreciate many of you think growing veg is a bit shit, whatever!

Who's vegetarian then?

Any of you lot interested in growing your own food?

Been doing it best part of ten years.

I appreciate many of you think growing veg is a bit shit, whatever!

Who's vegetarian then?

I'm no veggie but wish I could grow my own stuff. Because of where I live there is no chance.

My dad grows just about everything though (except chick peas) and things like tomatos fresh peas and runner beans taste out of this world. My favourites are the spuds, just because of the sheer amount of veg you get in return, and the 'new' ones taste amazing. I also like it when you get super gig veg-some of the onions are bigger than your head.

I dont think I could ever do it on the scale my old man does though. He does a few hours every evening in the summer and all day on Sat with a few hours on Sun too!

I'm no veggie but wish I could grow my own stuff. Because of where I live there is no chance.

My dad grows just about everything though (except chick peas) and things like tomatos fresh peas and runner beans taste out of this world. My favourites are the spuds, just because of the sheer amount of veg you get in return, and the 'new' ones taste amazing. I also like it when you get super gig veg-some of the onions are bigger than your head.

I dont think I could ever do it on the scale my old man does though. He does a few hours every evening in the summer and all day on Sat with a few hours on Sun too!

Nuff respek to yer Pops!

Yeah, potatoes are good. Last year was really crap though, too many slugs on a patch that had not been worked much.

Did well with tomatoes, loads!. Blanched and froze them, made a pasta sauce the other night. Still eating the onions, not as big as me head though.

Nuff respek to yer Pops!

Yeah, potatoes are good. Last year was really crap though, too many slugs on a patch that had not been worked much.

Did well with tomatoes, loads!. Blanched and froze them, made a pasta sauce the other night. Still eating the onions, not as big as me head though.

You just have to love the smell of real tomatoes? My mum always makes green tomato chutney too.

I have mates that hate tomatoes, and are pretty shocked when they try a freshly grown one and love it. Its funny that some of the things we buy in the shops are so different to when they are eaten fresh. Is it to do with the varieties too. I seem to remember that a lot of varieties of veg are being lost because we now get everything from the shops which just use the biggest yielding most pest resistent strains (could be wrong though.)

It is rubbish when the critters get your food before you get a chance though. One year I left a gate open and the cows got in the garden for a few hours. I dont think that was a good year for most things!!

Lambs got in once too. Because of that they were soon on the dinner table! :o

I’m a vegetarian. Don’t grow my own, though, I’m too lazy. I do gardening as part of my work and glad to see the back of manure and all.

I went off eating dead bodies some years ago, and I don’t want any smart a*se asking “What are my shoes made of? ” Cos’ it ain’t a perfect world.

I’m a vegetarian. Don’t grow my own, though, I’m too lazy. I do gardening as part of my work and glad to see the back of manure and all.

I went off eating dead bodies some years ago, and I don’t want any smart a*se asking “What are my shoes made of? ” Cos’ it ain’t a perfect world.

People can eat what they like, I guess it is best in terms of resources to be a veggie.

But as much as I like veg. I love meat...lots

Yes, I think people should eat what they like. I’m a vegetarian because I chose to be and I used to eat meat for the same reason. I made the decision at a certain point in time and have no criticism of others who still eat meat as I once did. I do constantly bear in mind that I had the choice, which is more than can be said for some poor people on the African continent.

What are you growing this season?

cabbage, peas, tomatoes, carrot, broccoli, pepper, celery, asparagus, onions and lettuce.

well i bought the seeds at least. just need to get em in the ground.

was inspired a while back on here by someone posting about Square Foot Gardening.

can't remember who though. just had a search thru' but couldn't find it. funny searching thru old posts though. especially the ones from the old days when i didn't miss a single one :ph34r:

hia foxy!! - not seen yer for yonks B)

oh and another thing ....

our back garden gets loads of snails.

i have been advised to stick a cup of beer in the ground to get 'em.

now - i like beer me. but is this not a tad mean on the poor old snails??

oh and another thing ....

our back garden gets loads of snails.

i have been advised to stick a cup of beer in the ground to get 'em.

now - i like beer me. but is this not a tad mean on the poor old snails??

Mean? No way that seems like a fantastic way to go. If I start camping in your garden can I have free beer too?

I have some very close friends who grow everything (organically). They have a really large garden, orchard/ chickens etc. They have a plot for me, but look after it, when i can't - which is very often, as i have 2 small children. I used to be vegetarian, until i realised that if you're going to eat dairy produce then there's not a lot of point, Also in some cases like rabbits who are incredibly destructive, or too many cockarels - what do you do? I do however try to buy locally produced meat. For example i have a friend who has a small holding, and we buy 1/2 a lamb. Or 10 kilo's beef. Then at our local produce shop if someone's got to bump off some chickens - then we can get a phone call. I'm not perfect, but lucky to have friends who grow just about everything, and are very kind. It's great - so many reason's why, but devastating if it go's wrong!! It's also a real education for the children - something they won't learn at school.

Im a veggie, a bit late with the veg this year, but should ave good blackcurrants and tayberries. I'll buy tomato, pepper etc plants in from the car boot sale and plant them first week of May(thats cornwall a week later further north). Then as many carrots and loads of salad. Brussels are good sow now because as well as sprouts you get spring greens next year.

Im really into edible perennials and have a bit of a collection.

Cheers

cornish (veg) pasty

hia foxy!! - not seen yer for yonks B)

Thanks for asking, Dunroamin. Since I last was an HPC addict, I did a part time course to up grade a qualification, and took my eye off the ball for a while. I regularly lurked as all lurker’s do. But to be honest I don’t ever feel I have anything interesting to contribute. I don’t know much about anything, only what it was like when the Beatles roamed the Earth. Half the time I don’t know what the better contributors are on about such as Shaker’ and Chuz . It’s horrible being `normal’

I sometimes post the odd – what I think are quips occasionally

Working towards “HPC veteran, though

Have you been up the spinnaker tower yet?

Regards Foxy

Half the time I don’t know what the better contributors are on about such as Shaker’ and Chuz .

yeah. went up it a while back when a mate came to visit (it's not the type of thing you do otherwise is it?). pretty good though for half an hours entertainment - and i think it looks stunning.

shaker and chuz?? pah! don't worry about those two - not many people know what they're on about :D

and you can forget about veteran status an all - heckling is where it's at :P

Mean? No way that seems like a fantastic way to go. If I start camping in your garden can I have free beer too?

course. as long as you bring along some greenery happy.gif

course. as long as you bring along some greenery happy.gif

I am sure if you have a greenhouse,or even better a shed something could be sorted out.

I reckon you could feed that to the snails instead. If I was a snail I would take the herbage over a cabbage any day! , they would probably get the munchies though and eat all your chocolate :D

If any extreme frugalistas out there want to get a crop using leftover shop-bought veg check out:

http://lowbudgetlife.com/readarticle.php?article_id=6

Thats a cool idea. Do you reckon garlic would grow in a tub as I have no garden :(

i ve got an allotment and i ll grow as much as possible as well as carrots and tomatoes in my back garden,

you cant beat it for taste however it takes effort, and i lot of people cant do that and cant handle getting dirty hands.

People at work used to give me a slating for having an allotment at my age until i started taking produce to eat at evening meal (i start at 1800 for two nights of the week and we eat later on in the evening) then they started to taste it and could not believe how different it tasted!

To anyone with small kids its a great way to teach them about food and my 3 kids will eat any veg apart from parsnips, which makes them burp for some reason.

I tried the bolivian chillies this year and only five seeds germinated out of 15 i know they take a long time to germinate but this was taking the pish!

Ive got shit loads of rhubarb if any ones interested theres only so much crumble i can take.Plenty of horseshit is the secret for an abundace of crops.

Do you reckon garlic would grow in a tub as I have no garden :(

Yes, I should think it would, split into cloves, plant now in well drained soil 2in deep. When leaves turn yellow around August, lift and dry.

Good luck.

Thanks for asking, Dunroamin. Since I last was an HPC addict, I did a part time course to up grade a qualification, and took my eye off the ball for a while. I regularly lurked as all lurker’s do. But to be honest I don’t ever feel I have anything interesting to contribute. I don’t know much about anything, only what it was like when the Beatles roamed the Earth. Half the time I don’t know what the better contributors are on about such as Shaker’ and Chuz . It’s horrible being `normal’

I sometimes post the odd – what I think are quips occasionally

Regards Foxy

Shit foxy, i dont even know what i'm on about 95% of the time, i often start typing then after 10 minutes think "what was i on about, whats my point". Really i shouldn't post them sort of wandering wayward posts but after 10 minutes of typing and abstract thought i feel obliged to post it otherwise i would of just wastred 10 minutes of my life :lol:

Weve got loads of lemons from 2 trees, an orange tree (nothing off it yet), some olive trees. We got some peaches off our tree for the first time this year but the birds ate all the passion fruit which grows like weeds.

We planted a macadamia tree last week - won't see anything off that for about 5 years though.

I haven't got a suitable place to grow my own veg but I would absolutely love to. I would love a decent garden and this has been one of the things I've hated about not being able to get my own home. I do fancy having an allotment but I don't think I could keep on top of it with my Fibromyalgia.

I buy organic as much as my budget will allow but I can't help thinking it's all a conspiracy with the supermarkets. I'm quite uptight about the carp that goes into stuff so I do make my own bread and yogurts.

Thats a cool idea. Do you reckon garlic would grow in a tub as I have no garden :(

Yep, that's what i do. Normally put them in on the shortest day of the year if the soil is well drained.

I grow a lot of stuff from the seeds out of supermarket veg, its always really robust.

Shit foxy, i dont even know what i'm on about 95% of the time, i often start typing then after 10 minutes think "what was i on about, whats my point". Really i shouldn't post them sort of wandering wayward posts but after 10 minutes of typing and abstract thought i feel obliged to post it otherwise i would of just wastred 10 minutes of my life :lol:

Yeah, but I'm told by people who understand them, that they are such good posts