House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
muggle

Post Baby-boom Generation

Post baby-boom generation

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the UK population is about to nose-dive (compared to a couple of generations ago).

This could go some way to explaining the reluctance to build new houses – at least the sort of houses people actually want to live in – decent sized property in a safe neighbourhood like our parents were able to afford, (as opposed to over priced shoebox next to crack den).

It would appear that the current working age generation (the ones funding the previous generation’s spending spree) are a bit stuffed when it comes to home ownership!

Unfortunately we still have a long wait before enough homes can be freed up – by which time it will be too late for most of us to get mortgages!!!

One piece of good news I suppose is that more homes will mean much cheaper prices for the next generation.

Am I the only one who is more than a little p****d off about this?!

Post baby-boom generation

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the UK population is about to nose-dive

Quite so, I'm planning to leave and all my assorted ladies are coming with me! ;)

I like your point about not wanting to build houses. You should copy your post to the HPC 'Let's start a poster campaign to build more houses' (suspicious) thread (pinned too... hmmm).

Demographics are the key factor in all this I believe. The boomers will ALL be retiring in the next year so there'll be a Mike Reid style 'Runaround' as they all downsize or move to "Delightful little smallholdings in the countryside!" "It used to be a creamery you know?" etc.

Bluddy boomers - I sh)t 'em.

Bluddy boomers - I sh)t 'em.

I'm a boomer but I know how you feel!

I had to go to a dinner party (yawn) a few weeks ago. As often happens one couple decided to dominate the conversation. They started by saying how thier house (bought in 1977) had increased by 10 times in value blah blah blah and how house prices ever only go up (what happened between 1989 - 1996?) blah bloody blah blah blah.....An hour latter they then had the cheek to say that their son and daughter were struggling to buy a property and how expensive it was in London. I suggested perhaps they might like to MEW and help them buy a place.....silence.... :rolleyes:

Edited by cupidstunt

Hello!

I would back up the poster, although he doesn't provide sources, the native birthrate is the lowest since records begain - and those records started http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../11/nfert11.xml manby many gernerations ago. In fact its been shown that its the lowest ever. It has been well below steady state replacement for a decade now, just like the houseprice boom.

Yet, the UK population is set to grow to over 70m within 10 years!

If immigration had been at sensible levels, workers wages would have found find bargaining power to climb above mere self-subsistance. Adam smith wrote about population growth and wages above substistance in the wealth of nations in 1776. We can see the affording a shelter to start a family is impossible for the youth of the nation. They are being displaced.

This is not the first instance of mass immigration into the UK. Ever heard of Bretony in France, and wondered why it was called that? When the anglo-saxons immigrated here in larger and larger numbers after the 4th century, the same displacement economics took effect. Huge parts of the population had little choice left but to move to France and set up thier own version of Briton! The only real remaining parts of the UK with traces of this original population is wales. In anglo-saxon the word 'Welsh' was used as a term of abuse - it means you have become a foreigner in your own land.

Still, the spin is that talk of mass immigration is racist, poltics of hate etc... move along now - nothing to see here...

Edited by brainclamp