House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BandWagon

If Epsom Is The Best Place To Live In The Uk...

Dear Kirsty and Phil did a wonderful program on C4 in August about how Epsom was the best place to live in the UK.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/best&w...worst_best.html

I have some friends who live there, and it's not too bad. Nice if you're into horses.

Not as nice as where I live, but then I'm a lucky guy.

But according to the HBOS housing report, prices have dropped 9% in the last year.

SE Region:

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/quarterlyregionalcomments.asp

Oh dear oh dear, someone please explain...

Edited by BandWagon

Dear Kirsty and Phil did a wonderful program on C4 in August about how Epsom was the best place to live in the UK.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/best&w...worst_best.html

I have some friends who live there, and it's not too bad. Nice if you're into horses.

Not as nice as where I live, but then I'm a lucky guy.

But according to the HBOS housing report, prices have dropped 9% in the last year.

SE Region:

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/quarterlyregionalcomments.asp

Oh dear oh dear, someone please explain...

The way I see it is that the most popular places have peaked some time ago. These are now either falling or remaining stagnant. The limit for what people will pay has been reached so they are just readjusting to previously high levels.

In other areas of the country the worse areas are still rising or are stagnant too. Given that they are cheaper areas to start with anyway.

If I had to buy now I would be looking at the best areas only as these are the ones which are hitting the down curve first.

I'd say that it was due to a large number of new below average price homes being added recently

Livingstone Park

Neighbouring Leatherhead went up 10%

My personal experience would suggest about 2% rise in Epsom in line with the rest of the south east.

I live in Epsom and I'd agree with the above

Epsom is still doing OK, there is no HPC yet

However clearly prices are not rising,although many people i know that have bought expect/think they still are going to increase

A few% either way is negligable, these people are expecting 50k+ rises for adding a bit of decking in the garden and magnolia on the walls

New builds are still going up, so supply is increasing, some big volume builders have recently turned into landlords because they can't sell everything they build

What will happen next?

too many people I know are very overextended and have got used to the MEW ATM lifestyle in this area

Its still anecdotal but IMO it will either boom again or crash, stagnation is not an option

Edited by 88Crash

Epsom no.1. I used to live in Epsom about ten years ago.

Sorry but it looks very run down now compared to how it was. It looks very scruffy in places and has a poor hospital. I found it had become a very violent place and has a few very rough council estates situated both on the outskirts and at its heart.

I can't believe that Ashford in Kent is number 4. I have lived there more recently and can confirm it isn't up to much. Ashford has very little work and low paid, another poor hospital and a lot of asylum seekers roaming the streets and parks. You can also enjoy a night out in the town centre trying to avoid the "ring road racers" boy racing club. There are very few restuarants and some of the pubs are not advisable to enter unless you can box like Mike Tyson. However it is cheap compared to the rest of the South East.

Epsom of course is not the "best" place to live.....it is the "optimum" place to live if you subscribe to Kirsty and Phil's perception of optimum. These very optimum qualities pursuade me that Epsom is the very worst place to live, because it has (apparently) a little bit of everything: shops/schools/near to London/links/etc etc, but absolutely no intrinsic desirability:

Horrible architecture, bland in the extreme, ghastly suburbs, excess numbers of chavs, no culture whatsoever, no foliage, indistinguishable from any other commuter urban sprawl in the rest of that souless place called Greater London.

But I'm glad some people want to live there....more space for others to live somewhere decent elsewhere.

VP

Epsom has been over-priced compared to surrounding areas recently, and this is why it is going down.

I don't agree with some of the very negative comments about the area, but the fact is that it has got a bit of a chav problem, poor train link and a very average shopping centre. It is average in a lot of ways, but this will suit quite a few people looking to live in this type of area.

Epsom used to be a lot cheaper than places like Guildford or Kingston, but now there is much less difference. If there are price falls currently, I think that it is just falling back into line.

There is also a massive over-supply of flats in the town centre. Work has just started on a development of 200+ flats on the busiest intersection in the town. You have to wonder how many 'young professionals' are going to be attracted to a town which has a 40 minute train to London, and fairly poor nightlife.

I'd say that it was due to a large number of new below average price homes being added recently

Livingstone Park

Neighbouring Leatherhead went up 10%

My personal experience would suggest about 2% rise in Epsom in line with the rest of the south east.

Livingstone Park is appallingly laid out and next to the housed gippos - it's got car crime and burglary problems already. The quality of the houses is also poor - even for the usually good Charles Church ones. Though how it affected the stats is something I agree with - large volumes of lower priced houses there and all the flats at the station have dragged the average down. I don't live far away from there and it's certainly not seeing any problems shifting the more expensive properties near the Downs, the ones on the other side of the railway (generally acknowledged as rougher) are struggling to get away at good prices - have a surveyor in the family who works there....