House Price Crash Forum
sign_of_the_times

In Yer Face Imupnorth

you all know who I'm talking about, the jerk who comes on here bear baiting, calling us all mentalists etc..

its funny he didn't want to comment on yesterdays Halifax HP index showing prices in his area (Harrogate) are down a whopping 9% YOY :o

and strangely, he appears to have deleted his location of "nr Harrogate" from his profile (I'm sure the mods can back me up on this?)

egg, face ??? :lol:

Could you post a link showing the falls?

I thought property only ever went up....

It does, ImupNorth says so:

I thought I'd start a Yorkshire thread for us up North types, so we can compare notes. It doesn't concern me too much what happens in London or the South West.

I've been logging house prices in my part of the world near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire for a few weeks now. This is so I can get an idea of whats really happening, rather than just go off wild rumours, spin and general disinformation.

When I started this 8 weeks ago, this is where we were based on asking prices:

26th Sept 2004 - Average house £234,871 based on 169 houses

Now, 14th Nov 2004 - average house £223,670, now based on 196 houses

So, thats about a 5% fall or £11k, whichever way you want to look at it. Number of houses on the market has also gone up 16%.

Interestingly, the average price of those coming onto the market is now £202,807, which suggests that the average price is going to come down a lot further over the coming few months.

Anyway, thats it. I'll give you all an update in 4 weeks time.

Best Regards, IM

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...topic=2806&st=0

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money

Yeah, Harrogate was really expensive when I used to live there about 2-3 years ago. Interesting to see Ripon has increased 8% (flight from Harrogate?). I wouldn't expect the downtrend there to last too long, it's still a great place to live and I can imagine demand will pick up.

Yeah, Harrogate was really expensive when I used to live there about 2-3 years ago. Interesting to see Ripon has increased 8% (flight from Harrogate?). I wouldn't expect the downtrend there to last too long, it's still a great place to live and I can imagine demand will pick up.

demand is still there, but people aren't paying silly prices anymore, hence the fall.

its only just beginning, I would say -9% is crash speed territory :D

Guest Winners and Losers

you all know who I'm talking about, the jerk who comes on here bear baiting, calling us all mentalists etc..

I thought that was Spring In the Air? :unsure:

its funny he didn't want to comment on yesterdays Halifax HP index showing prices in his area (Harrogate) are down a whopping 9% YOY :o

and strangely, he appears to have deleted his location of "nr Harrogate" from his profile (I'm sure the mods can back me up on this?)

egg, face ??? :lol:

:lol::lol:

i too am shocked at this revelation as i was under the belief house prices only went up. :rolleyes:

I really had lost count of the amount of times imupnorth would say "they may be falling in your area, but not round here".

It was an arguement you would find hard to counter unless you lived there. Well, not any more :P

All we need now is for Aberdeen to show falls and Alba will be shut up too.

NDL

Guest Winners and Losers

All we need now is for Aberdeen to show falls and Alba will be shut up too.

NDL

Muppet :rolleyes:

Wonder what Spring Is In The Air is gonna change his name to in October?

SH*T Is In The Air?

I reckon this will be very apt for a LOT of Estate Agents, they must be shittin' bricks now :)

TB

Guest Winners and Losers

Wonder what Spring Is In The Air is gonna change his name to in October?

'Sorry Guys I Was Wrong' ?

'Sorry Guys I Was Wrong' ?

Nah, more likely "apples and pears" since that's what he'll be selling soon. He claimed yesterday that an acquaintance makes £100k (cash in hand) selling fruit n veg on a stall. Aye right! (Only in Scotland can a double positive be a negative!)

NDL

Nah, more likely "apples and pears" since that's what he'll be selling soon. He claimed yesterday that an acquaintance makes £100k (cash in hand) selling fruit n veg on a stall. Aye right! (Only in Scotland can a double positive be a negative!)

NDL

If he worked 260 days a year and made 50p profit on every item he sold then..

£100k/260 = around £400 per day profit.

£400 in profit would require about 800 'sales' a day.

If he worked 10 hours (600 minutes) a day he would have to sell something every 45 seconds.

Not allowing for lunch breaks or trips to the loo.

I bet he doesn't have much patience with customers who like to ponder...

If he worked 260 days a year and made 50p profit on every item he sold then..

£100k/260 = around £400 per day profit.

£400 in profit would require about 800 'sales' a day.

If he worked 10 hours (600 minutes) a day he would have to sell something every 45 seconds.

Not allowing for lunch breaks or trips to the loo.

I bet he doesn't have much patience with customers who like to ponder...

:lol: I didn't do the maths, but knew it was unlikely.

What I find particularly annoying is that if he is going to avoid tax he could at least lower his prices accordingly. Ta make £100k (ahem) is just greed.

NDL

demand is still there, but people aren't paying silly prices anymore, hence the fall.

Am I the only one who finds it utterly ridiculous when EAs etc say things like, "demand is strong"? Everyone wants to own their own house, always; rather like everyone wants a flash car but if you can't afford it, it's immaterial.

-9% is heavy if you bought at the top there. Harrogate still has a long, long way to go before it's considered affordable by any standard.

i too am shocked at this revelation as i was under the belief house prices only went up. :rolleyes:

I think the Halifax report is correct and prices, even in Harrogate are actually falling. This is in spite of some rediculous asking prices which are still being put forward by agents. Not all houses sell for the asking price or indeed, anything near it.

I know of a valuation recently where 3 agents all came in with prices around £350K but one came in with a price of £450K. I conclude that he agents themselves no longer have a clue about the strength of the market.

Also, you cant help but notice:

Numerous "new price" tags as the "comedy price" is met with the distain it deserves

Some properties I have been watching have now been on the market for more than 2 years and some of these are making small price cuts - chasing the market down.

Sensibly priced property still sells qickly.

I suggest that the tide is now on its way out.

By the way, It's nice to be back on this board after a break of year!

I know of a valuation recently where 3 agents all came in with prices around £350K but one came in with a price of £450K. I conclude that he agents themselves no longer have a clue about the strength of the market.

If that's Harrogate it wouldn't be Nicholls Tyreman by any chance? i stopped even looking in their window 2 yeas ago.

There were quite a few sales in Hgte at the start of the year, and the surrounding areas, e.g. Wetherby, Ripon. Certainly in Hgte and Wetherby the market has ground to a standstill, mainly due to the increase in asking prices on the back of the sales.

Even so, I had one EA (in the Halifax in Wetherby) this morning telling me that their were loads of buyers and not many properties so prices would be going up.....ahem

Contrary to what some may say, Hgte will not be immune to a fall. I've posted this 2 or 3 times now, but back in 91 (1991, not 1891), as a young naive lad i bought a flat for £36,750 and was told by my conveyancing solicitor that there had never been a better time to buy. A year later an identical flat below me sold for £22k. And next door to my parents chased the market down from £200k to £135k.

So, when the bubble goes, everywhere will be hit, including Hgte and surrounding areas.

p.s. Tadcaster is nowhere near Hgte.

-9% is heavy if you bought at the top there. Harrogate still has a long, long way to go before it's considered affordable by any standard.

Harrogate has always been expensive (Southern prices - even before the boom) and whilst prices are dropping, they'll almost certainly not drop as far percentage wise as other parts of the country imo.

I have lived in Harrogate all my life......Cheaper places in Yorkshire have been catching up a bit.......

as the boom reached here sooner.........I reckon that prices in industrial towns are now about two thirds of Harrogate's which is back to the norm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We lived there in the mid 90's and the prices were on a par with Berkshire, which is where we moved up from, and Buckinghamshire, where we moved on to.