House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Slappertravel

Try This Calculation For Size

Evening Standard 'Homes & Property' supplement this week had another of those frothy articles explaining new affordability options for FTBs (sorry can't find link, but they don't seem to publish the articles on website).

Among the advice that 'you can now borrow 5 times joint earnings' (:o) was this:

"Ray Boulger makes the point that if you take out a 100% mortgage you will probably pay 1% more in interest charges. But provided house prices go up by more than 1% a year, you are still better off than waiting until you have saved the deposit." ??????

i always thought the level was set at 3.5 from research as at this level people can afford to pay their morgage and live

Any more and it adds increased stress which normally results in debt and bankruptcy

And 100% morgages need to be removed from the market along with 125% morgages

and 40 year morgages..

all introduced to keep the housing pyramid up!!

JUST BUILD MORE HOUSES GOVERNMENT!!!!!

Evening Standard 'Homes & Property' supplement this week had another of those frothy articles explaining new affordability options for FTBs (sorry can't find link, but they don't seem to publish the articles on website).

Among the advice that 'you can now borrow 5 times joint earnings' (:o) was this:

"Ray Boulger makes the point that if you take out a 100% mortgage you will probably pay 1% more in interest charges. But provided house prices go up by more than 1% a year, you are still better off than waiting until you have saved the deposit." ??????

Ah, god bless the ES Homes and Property section, always a source of prime drivel. I saw that and thought it sounded like nonsense, but couldn't quite be bothered to do the sums to check. But I did think that it also implied that if prices stay level for a year or so you'd have been dumb to fall for this particular argument...

Edited by Magpie

It is quite astonishing how many supplements, local newspapers and lifestyle magazines depend so muc on advertsining from the house-market and associated sectors.

I once wanted to be a journalist...so glad I didnt sell my soul to write for one of these spurious rags funded by the house market.

I once wanted to be a journalist...so glad I didnt sell my soul to write for one of these spurious rags funded by the house market.

That's a rather unfair generalisation.

I'll have you know that some journalists have not sold their souls.

They sold their brains.

Christ, newsrooms are packed full of innumerate muppets, whenever wage growth is shown to be ahead of house price inflation this automatically means "housing is more affordable", hrm let's see :-

5% wage growth on £25,000 wage = £1250

4% inflation on average £170,000 house = £6800

See, more affordable!

JUST BUILD MORE HOUSES GOVERNMENT!!!!!

Government doesn't need to build anything, just reform the public monopoly on the right to develop, that's all it takes.

They sold their brains.

You're assuming they had any in the first place.

They sold their brains.

I assume that means you're a professional journalist.

What I think he means is that a lot of mainstream journalism now is deliberately

deceptive/omissive to the point of being extremely detrimental to the end-user.

Murdoch made a statement recently that mainstream media is dying.

In favour of online "blogs", such as this, and others. This is backed up

by the ratings statistics.

We're seeing a "seachange" in the masses realising that MSM is lying to

them.

If you're not consciously (or subconsciously) an establishment/VI mouthpiece,

kudos to you. Otherwise I agree with his point.

Guest Bart of Darkness

They sold their brains.

Their soul would have brought in more cash, the brain of a journalist, what's that good for? A paperweight?