House Price Crash Forum

As we all know the last crash was said to be roughly a 20% drop off in prices nationally.

Nationally - thats what bugs me.

What I want is some solid facts from people who were there at the time, in paticular;

Flats in conversions - price before and after

Council Flats - """""""""""""""

Areas - Im particulary interested in London but all areas are of interest

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Areas - Im particulary interested in London but all areas are of interest

A popular area east Greater London suburbs.

Semi detached.

1988=83k

1990=120k

1993=85k

2001=110k

2003=249k

2004=230k

We bought a 1 bed flat.(Victorian conversion), south London.

Purchased 1988 for £61K.

I believe in about 1991, almost same flat below us sold for £24K (GULP!)

Unbelievably an estate agent valued ours at about the same time for £51K...BUT,informed me of all the bad things about my flat, that FTBs could probably not afford it...blah,blah,blah,basically you have very little chance of selling it!!!

Rented property out in 1994, sold in 2000 for £88K. Made some profit..but boy! what a headache.

Moral of the story....never buy at the top of the market.

Nottinghill Gate, London.

1989, £65,000

1990, £45,000

I know cos I bought it. Like a twit, if I'd only waited another 6 months, I could have had a newly renovated 2 bed for about £70k in the same street. Doh.

Lesson, Keep yer powder dry. It's going down *big* time. Seen it all before, looking forward to it (this time I have CASH!!! No Mortgage!!!!)

:-)

Nottinghill Gate, London.

1989, £65,000

1990, £45,000

I know cos I bought it. Like a twit, if I'd only waited another 6 months, I could have had a newly renovated 2 bed for about £70k in the same street. Doh.

Lesson, Keep yer powder dry. It's going down *big* time. Seen it all before, looking forward to it (this time I have CASH!!! No Mortgage!!!!)

:-)

i thought i'd jump on you for a change darling !!!

at least your posts and serious anger are starting to make a little sense now. you're a speculator in the current market, probs STR?....gotcha righto.... you see my bullish posts as a ''barrier'' between you and a crash... and a house.......ah bless what a tiny mind we do have. :lol:

can't you take an alternative opinion to yours, or are we a little scared we may have not quite made the right move? sellers remorse? perhaps a little worried history may not repeat itself exactly? you thinking shit this guy was there ''last time'' as well, perhaps he's right and i'm wrong. :lol:

Either way you must be at least my age, and yet you go on like some sort of 17 year old angst ridden communist. driven up the wall with envy of me and fear of being wrong.

a speculator....... :lol: nothing more nothing less darling. none the less unlike you i don't wish bad luck against anyone, however there is always a first for everything. ;)

Just received this 'charming' personal message from that paragon of stupidity and lies, Mr BBB (Bullshitting Bald Bustard?)

"has the cat got your tongue as well as your balls? "

Why is he suddenly interested in my cat? And my balls? Can anyone explain?

And why is he calling me 'darling'???

Is BBB finally coming out of the closet (or 'studio' as he calls it! :-)

BTW, why in God's name does the silly twit keep filling his posts with stupid 'smiley's like some moonstruck 12 year old? And WHY does he PEPPER his cRAp with CapITALS aLL THE timE???! Does that sort of thing stop when one hits puberty?

Jeez.

Cheers zzz's,

but it never gets a response, let alone action.

I would imagine we have to assume 'BBB' is indeed an 'agent provocateur' whose role is solely to increase pageviews on this board. Any other board would have bumped the @sswipe a long time ago.

It could of course, actually BE his board!

I'll PM this to you as well, because although the mods seem happy to let 'Boring Bullshitting Baboon' clog up the entire site, any HINT of dissention from anyone else and the post gets binned....

Just received this 'charming' personal message from that paragon of stupidity and lies, Mr BBB (Bullshitting Bald Bustard?)

"has the cat got your tongue as well as your balls?  "

BTW, why in God's name does the silly twit keep filling his posts with stupid 'smiley's like some moonstruck 12 year old? And WHY does he PEPPER his cRAp with CapITALS aLL THE timE???! Does that sort of thing stop when one hits puberty?

Jeez.

Speaking as someone who has zero qualifications in psychology. I would suggest that he is craving for your respect. The only way you will resolve this issue is to invite him into your home for a couple of months.

This way, we shall all find out who/ what he really is. You are a good man, you know you can do it.

Speaking as someone who has zero qualifications in psychology. I would suggest that he is craving for your respect.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. That seems to me like the only rational explanation for why he spends so much time in here.

I don't actually think it does any harm to have the contrarian minority view represented here. However, far too many of BBB's posts give the impression he's only here to gloat about what a genius he's been for riding on the back of the bull market, and that this should somehow earn him friends and respect (when of course it has precisely the opposite effect), so I'm not surprised he gets the troll-stick pointed at him a lot.

"has the cat got your tongue as well as your balls?  "

Jeez.

Right on RMF!!!!

I have some serious concerns about BBB, that he suffers from some serious issues ranging from suppressed rage and anger...I think perhaps at his father (perhaps he came out of the closet too??!!). BBB seems to hate being addressed as Son-it winds BBB up and results in a feeling of inferiority...one can only assume the worst. Perhaps BBB hates himself for the slight tingle he gets inside when addressed as Son!!!!!!!!!

BBB do you have any friends? It seems not many people like you- you were clearly bullied at school!!! You leave yourself wide open (ooh- easy BBB). Is it happening again…are they all picking on you!!!!???

BBB- Bullied Bhatti Boy? :ph34r:

Here's one more

I *ALMOST* bought a 1 bed in glamorous 'Shepherd's Bush' in 1989. I almost paid £75k for it. After 1990, it dropped to about £50k (I remember cos I'd spent 400 smackers on a survey and was pissed off when it came back as unmortgageable, so i kept an eye on it for a while to gloat!).

It didn't rise to 75 again till about 97? 98?

It's now on yet again, at 249k.

Abso - f*cking - lutely - insane.

Anyone got any more hard facts?

I bought a flat in November 1991 near Dudley West Midlands for 28K.

I then had to endure 10 years of negative equity as some of the flats

were selling but at one stage they were down to 17k.

I blame myself for buying as I was too young (20 years old) and was

swayed by parents etc.

I managed to sell 12 months ago for 31k as the flat is not in a great area.

I rented it out from 1998 onwards and eventually everything turned out ok

but on occasions it was a real nightmare.

I am now building my savings and hope to buy again in about two

years when I believe property prices may be more realistic.

I hope the above serves as a warning to anybody around who still

believes in the old adage' You can't go wrong with property.' I did.